• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My Year of Going Without.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've got this weird arrangement in our marriage that x% of our net income goes to the "joint account" -- mortgage, heat, food, joint vacations, 401k, the college fund for our daughter (now grown), etc. The balance is ours to play with. That way we are not fighting over money. He never spends a dime, I think money is useless in a bank. Consequently he's got plenty of money saved up, I don't. When I stopped working, I had no money for playing with. And I was putting no money into our joint expenses, either. But I had a roof over my head. In general, it's worked. We just never planned for a non-working spouse in the family. If I had to do it over, I might have a "standard deduction" for a lower earning spouse. The only reason I'm able to replace my old car is my parents died and I got a little bit from that. I also have a tiny pension, which barely funded my auto repairs the last thirteen years. (Especially after the Joint Account %). But putting some mutual saving (the 401k's) into the Joint Account for retirement meant it actually happened. Which is a good thing, because now that he is retired as well, it's there and we have no worries.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Everyone has to figure out what works for them.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:

Christy

Angel Diva
Oh, I was looking for this thread when I talked about my neighborhood Buy Nothing Facebook group on another thread. I continue to be amazed by how people always seem to have a thing that someone else needs. There been a number of posts recently from parents looking for snow pants or jackets for their kids, or someone looking for a suitcase, or something they need for holiday entertaining, or someone is adopting a new dog and they need a dog bed. They post about it and someone always has one to give away. It's a great way to reduce consumption.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna