• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My turn for Critique My Skiing

Thank you all for the advice...as @surfsnowgirl said, need more discipline in doing drills on the regular basis.

One of my ski instructor friends at my local hill with whom I seem to ski with quite regularly is a big fan of drills. We often free ski together and mix up free skiing with drills here and there. I am a huge fan.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
One of the best ski instructor clinics I took was one by my home hill´s technical director called, ´How to make a small mountain a big mountain.´He had us do drills on our short runs to simulate the sensation of skiing in big mountain conditions. Very cool. His message to us was, Ýou can become a great skier by skiing little hills, if you know what to practice.´

Since then I´ve worked on this and have learned to search out terrain features that mimic big mountain features, and to make turn shapes and take different lines that make longer runs out of shorter slopes.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Sorry to hijack the thread VG... this was about how VG is skiing and to me looks like she lifts her foot and doesn't finish her turns, and is starting the turn late having to over correct on the next turn (getting late)

Yes, Guess I'm different.. No I don't think I have 'bad' habits no I don't force the turn except in emergency situations.. I 'm thankful I'm a 50+ year work in progress..getting lazy dropping my left arm is my biggest issue has been for ever and why I skied w/out poles so long. (see it's dropping in my avatar photo)

I believe Fear is good, it awakens your senses, it makes your brain work and if you know what/how to do it- skiing properly is more efficient/easier.. I find it scary to be in the back seat and I think skiing the fall line is the easiest place to make turns and makes skiing easier. Yes I chase the fall line.. at snowmass when you said "mel how can you zip in and out of the piles/bumps and make it look so easy" it's because I chase the fall line and I am always looking way down the hill looking for the fall line, so much so sometimes I feel like I'm cheating taking easy way. I have had to mentally remind my self I am skiing and not in my personal roller coaster or my imaginary glider plane and must pay attention.. :-) I liken my skiing to making my own roller coaster ride or flying a glider. Skiing is supposed to be FUN! I make every run Fun if it's not I'll stop skiing.

Yes I love the feeling of being extended over my skis, feeling like my feet are behind me on steeps, (feels like jumping out of the airplane -also explains my no fear eh?) yes takes getting used to skiing properly, yes is a learning curve to but once you "feel it" it's sooo much fun and easier than skidding a turn and hanging on by the seat of your pants with your toes all scrunched up!

Skiing is Muscle memory why I like it so much and think I'll ski as long as I can stand...every year I can jump on my skis and just go- like riding a bike.. Skiing steep groomed with good fall lines to me is the best! I know a few Divas on here that now Love steep groomed because they have learned the efficient way to ski and understand using the fall line to their advantage.

Being Scared to look ahead? if you look right at the snow in front of you or at your ski tips, your head (that weighs 8pounds) drops and totally changes your weight and puts you in the back seat! THAT Is Scary! I have all my students experiment with how it feels w/their heads dropped so they don't look down- your skis are going where you are looking! One should always look where you're going to be making the next turns..(like driving a car) and in bumps/trees you better be looking for the 3rd or 4th future turns!

I guess that's why I love to ski, I am dialed in I trust my my equipment, I love being in the fall line, Yes I do get butterflies on top of some steeps/new places but as soon as I bend my ankles and let go it's a big AHHHH and way Fun...I trust my skis, trust my instincts and that does take time but can be learned and once 'felt" it's all good... I know that anyone that follows me down a hill turn for turn will end and say 'wow' that was really fun... and easy (yes it's all about the fall line and never in the back seat for me)
Looking forward to skiing with you at Jay and hoping some of this rubs off on ME!!!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exposed traverses freak me out. I find them quite tiring too and really envy people who can just shoot over the rocks and drops and get done with it quickly.

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Exposed traverses freak me out. I find them quite tiring too and really envy people who can just shoot over the rocks and drops and get done with it quickly.
Ohhh, I totally agree! I don't even really like cat tracks! I have to put my blinders on and just look straight ahead.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A quick edit from our skifarication for critique.

You have three coats?! :wink: And you have perfect, symmetrical form?

At -1:05 thru -0:40, short radius turns with purple coat, I think I see you a bit more rearward. Could be because you are on the edge of the camera's field of view. Could be because you are trying to shed speed. How steep are these slopes?

Jilly

Staff member
I see that open/close, knee/feet thing every so often, not all the time. It might be tired legs, tired brain, or angle of the camera. More angulation on steeper slopes for better edging.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My critique: I like the red/blue outfit the best. Purple/black isn't bad, either. ;-)

In the very first clip, it looks like you're transitioning from turn to turn a bit abruptly. I don't see the same thing in later videos.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have three coats?! :wink: And you have perfect, symmetrical form?

At -1:05 thru -0:40, short radius turns with purple coat, I think I see you a bit more rearward. Could be because you are on the edge of the camera's field of view. Could be because you are trying to shed speed. How steep are these slopes?
Oh, honey.......3 coats? No. My husband is a VERY good shopper, so I have, ummmmm....8, maybe? Purple was new this year, orange (red) last year, pink 2 years before that, matching blue pattern and plum shells the year before, then the green Spyder and the finally the turquoise Spyder - so 7, apparently. Hah!

The early clips in the pink jacket are the steepest and bumpiest except for the drop into the Gorge in the orange and blue. The purple coat runs are on pretty mellow blues (greens for you westerners).

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband is a VERY good shopper
You have a spouse who buys you clothes? Buys you coats? Buys you two Spyder coats? And has good taste? :eek:

No, no, I do know there are wonderful spouses out there. I think my wife is a bit hesitant to buy me clothes because I'm picky and my taste is so different from hers. I don't buy her clothes, either, any more.

The early clips in the pink jacket are the steepest and bumpiest except for the drop into the Gorge in the orange and blue. The purple coat runs are on pretty mellow blues (greens for you westerners).

I see. It makes sense that you are more flippy with your turns in the steeper ones, and being less aggressive on the mellower ones. Also explains how quickly you get away. :smile:

@volklgirl You are very lucky. Mine only buys me stuff when I tell him specifically what I want. Either I'm very picky or he's scared of disappointing me, not sure lol.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Heh, mine is the E-bay, Goodwill, discount guru, and I'm happy to reap the benefits of that. :thumb:
Oh yeah, mine loves it if I direct him to Sierra trading post to shop.... I often get extra Icebreaker tops and stuff. Very good.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@volklgirl , may I ask how you achieve such good form with your hands and arms? It's something I struggle with; always too close to my body and/or too far back, always feeling awkward or unsure what I'm supposed to do with my arms. Is there something you visualize, or could describe that helps you keep them so consistently in good position? Thanks so much! Kudos on the great skiing and the fantastic jackets!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga