• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My turn for a new ski!

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
As I type this I feel like I am sitting in the world's most wonderful ski shop, a ski spa, if you will, attended by a few dozen of the most knowledgeable and athletic women, who are all just amazingly interested in getting my feet into the right boots and onto the right skis. Huge appreciation out to you all for taking the time to answer all of our newbie questions, and in such detail!

So here I am...been skiing since forever, had great lessons at Smuggler's Notch and Stowe from 10-15 or so; no lessons since then and not a huge amount of ski time, either. Actually I think my best skiing lessons were the times in jr high and high school when I skied with my best friend and her family, all of whom were spectacular expert-level skiers. To this day I rarely see such graceful skiers going through bumps and crud and glades - they did everything well. I'd watch closely and try to imitate what they did and was somewhat successful...think I have an idea of what I'm supposed to do to ski with some kind of technique... But how I look, what kind of form I actually do have some 25 years later and on shaped skis, I just don't know!

I've skied only 3-5 days a year since then, and only once out west in (and I'm not sure I can pronounce this word right, since as a true easterner I really never experience it on the ski slopes) POWDER but it was a week after I discovered I was pregnant with my first daughter and I suffered from horrible morning sickness the whole week we were there. At Aspen, no less!! Waah!

I even went for 10 years (AGH!) without skiing at all while my husband and I were in grad school too far away from snow and too broke for lift tickets. I got back out there 2 kids later, 5-6 years ago and for me it was like no time had passed at all. Had the little blip with the broken hip (another post has those icky details) in August 2006 but aside from leaving me with a shorter leg and a super ugly scar, some I'm mostly recovered from that.

In 2002 I bought a pair of Dynastar Speed 63 SX (94/ 63/ 106) in 160 cm. I am 158.75 cm but was at that denial stage where I just couldn't bear to go with a ski whose tip was below my head! I've liked these skis but boy, they are fast, a fair bit of work to turn if not at speed (and even a fair bit of work to turn at speed, I know now after my experiences this weekend), and, boy, they are narrow under foot. I'm not sure I even would have had a problem with the narrowness except that I'd read all these posts about how the western (and lots of eastern) Divas love their wider-waisted skis. I became convinced that it would be easy to achieve more versatility in a ski...so long as I could come up with the time and $ to demo and research and learn...

So off I went this weekend, all by myself (leaving daughters and husb. behind!), to Burke Mountain in the frigid but spectacular Northeast Kingdom of Vermont. If anyone else skis there I'd be pretty surprised. It's only 2 hours farther north to get to Jay Peak (they get loads of snow) - or 2+ hours west to get to the skiing mecca that is the Stowe/Smuggler's Notch/Wildcat area. But Burke is a sweet little mountain, 2000' drop, rarely any crowds, no hotshot attitudes, plus great trails and views. I've been skiing there for more than 30 years!

I took my new Salomon Rush 8 boots and my old Dynastars, since they had recently been waxed and sharpened, and off I went. Stopped at the first shop off the highway and left with a pair of Rossi Zenith Z5W in 154 (or was it 152?), 98/68/112. The conditions were fantastic (though close to 0F for half the day) so I skied as many runs as I could. It's been so long that I've been able to make complete and consecutive runs - with little daughters and our very infrequent ski trips we rarely get to the top of the mountain let alone top to bottom without stopping umpteen times. Boo hoo...

Before I get to the nitty gritty of my demo'ing observations I should throw out the caveat that "maybe I'm just not the skier I'd like to think I am!" - though I ski hard and fast and fitness is good enough to ski a whole long run with tight, linked turns (yes the legs burn but they recover quickly), I don't think I am an "expert" re technique or ability to ski anywhere on the mtn or in any condition. I must be a solid 7 bordering on 8?). So my comments must be taken with that grain of salt...and maybe I am picking skis that are too high or too low a level of performance for me. Or too soft or too stiff? I'm confused about whether stiffer is necessarily better, anyway. Still lots to learn, especially if I want to do this right and come away with a ski that will be versatile and last me a few years.

Back to the Z5: I skied them all day Saturday 2/16 and liked them for their differences from my Dynastars - but they didn't wow me. If I hadn't read these reviews about the Firefox and Fuego I might not have been looking for the "pop" and "zing" and "ohmygawd I can't stop smiling!!" I'd been reading from others about those skis. Thus, my expectations were set possibly unreasonably high(?). I felt the tail sliding out, I was skidding through turns where even my Dynastars would have done better, and just had a lower sense of enjoyment overall on a day where conditions were so great I should have been grinning ear-to-ear, I felt. I brought them back to that shop, which had all the skis I wanted to try wrapped up and for sale but not for demo - so went on to the next shop.

The next shop was smaller (with very limited selection) but the guys there had more time to spend with me. I talked about wanting a more versatile ski, yada yada, so chose a 152 cm Atomic Sweet Mama (pink stripes = 2007?). This was way wider in the waist (97/76/111, 16.5 m @ 152 cm) and I could really feel that I was on a wider ski. I do like being able do make turns of different sizes and this ski definitely liked the longer turns. I wasn't skidding out the way I was on the Z5s (does this mean the tail was stiffer on the Atomics?Bigger turns are fine by me, though the mountain by then was getting a bit skied off and I thought the ski lacked the edge control I liked so much in my own skis and the Z5, and (from what I've read) in narrower skis, in general. Again, I was not wowed - so just spent time observing how it skied, how I skied, whether we were meant to be - I wasn't sure I was ready for a second date. Did 3-4 long runs then them back to the shop at lunch.

The shop's Metron B5 (recommended for me by the guy I'd been working with) in my size were out so I eagerly took the 2008(?) 152 cm very pretty Atomic Hot Minx (94/66/117, 12.5 m @ 152 cm). The guy looked at me like I was a little goofy (I had, after all, been telling him I wanted to move to a wider ski for greater versatility), but I just had a feeling I would like these. And boy, did I. My time was running short - it was now Sunday afternoon and the dark clouds were quickly rolling in for the rain (yes, rain! Welcome to New England!) expected for late Sunday and all day Monday. The wind picked up and started blowing literally up the mountain, blowing clouds of snow into our faces and putting up some decent resistance to skiing downhill fast! But I loved these skis. Finally, I understand what it's like to be on a ski the right length for me (who knows, at 5'2.5", 125 maybe I could go shorter or longer??) but these felt right. They turned in a snap, held edge (even though trails were very bare and even icy in spots at this point), and definitely put a smile on my face. I'd read that in several Divas' description of the Firefox and Fuego but now was experiencing it for myself. I wasn't sure these were The Ski for me but they were definitely on the path...and certainly the most enjoyable ski I've ever skied.

I skied out the day on the Hot Minxes but stopped a little early because the light was so flat and with the short turn radius I seemed to be skiing faster and turning more than either Saturday or Sunday to this point, with legs that should have felt tired but were just liking these skis too much to care. I didn't want to risk accident or injury, especially because I was skiing by myself (lots of others around but not the same as having a buddy on the mountain with you). I haven't had a ski fall in a long time other than my biking accident but that one was enough to knock a little prudence into this budding Diva's head...

I was so bummed to lose Monday to the big rainstorm that came through but had skied so hard (and my core had gotten so cold) over those 2 days that I woke up Monday with a naughty sore throat and big-time fatigue. I decided to cut my losses and head for home.

So now - I could buy the Hot Minx and be happy with them. But what if...what if there's an even better ski for me? what of my idea for greater versatility...does a wider waist necessarily mean loss of quick and popping turns and great edge grip? I don't think so, from what I've read, so I guess I'll have to get back out there. I have a feeling something about the wide width of the shovel/nose/tip of the Hot Minx was working for me, though I don't quite understand the physics of that (quicker turn initiation?). Won a free ticket to Stratton so will look to demo there very soon, when snow conditions allow - and when I can escape family responsibilities again!

Thanks for reading my long description of my first time demo'ing. And thanks for urging us all to demo...demo...demo. You are so right!

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Wow. That's a heck of a post!

1) Congrats on deciding to make a new ski purchase!
2) Yay for you on demoing stuff. It's the only way to go!

I do not necessarily think that ALL wide skis lose their quick, snappy turning ability. I ski 133-96-116 skis ...I bought them mainly for powder days, but they have instantly become my everyday ski. After taking them out on a hard-pack groomer day (yesterday)...I was delighted with their quick turning ability. If I were to only read this ski's reviews, I would think this ski has no turning radius aside from big GS turns. Just goes to show ya - demo, demo, demo. I think other people's reviews of equipment should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's like finding that perfect pair of jeans.

I personally thinkg that now...what you should look into is the flex of the ski you really enjoyed and it's measurements. Try some skis a little more narrow - then try some a little more wide. Try some a little stiffer - some a little softer. Take notes...

Sadly, eventually...you have to just buy skis. Unfortunately you can't try them all out; it's a bummer. I just bought mine & I still wonder....what if there's ANOTHER great ski out there?? There probably is, too. But after my demo, I was in love & had no qualms about the purchase. If you can walk away with that feeling after a demo...just buy them & enjoy!

Congrats on your impending fun purchase & best of luck!!

Jilly

Staff member
IcyBum, I'm a little concerned about the Rossi you tried. Z5W hasn't been around for a few years. Why did the shop let you try those? Rossi changed to the Attraxion series last year (2007).
Just like someone said in another thread, demo'ing is like boyfriends. Are you sure to want to marry this one, or is there better down the road? Can't help you on that!

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
Wow. That's a heck of a post!

1) Congrats on deciding to make a new ski purchase!
2) Yay for you on demoing stuff. It's the only way to go!

I do not necessarily think that ALL wide skis lose their quick, snappy turning ability. I ski 133-96-116 skis ...I bought them mainly for powder days, but they have instantly become my everyday ski. After taking them out on a hard-pack groomer day (yesterday)...I was delighted with their quick turning ability. If I were to only read this ski's reviews, I would think this ski has no turning radius aside from big GS turns. Just goes to show ya - demo, demo, demo. I think other people's reviews of equipment should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's like finding that perfect pair of jeans.

I personally thinkg that now...what you should look into is the flex of the ski you really enjoyed and it's measurements. Try some skis a little more narrow - then try some a little more wide. Try some a little stiffer - some a little softer. Take notes...

Sadly, eventually...you have to just buy skis. Unfortunately you can't try them all out; it's a bummer. I just bought mine & I still wonder....what if there's ANOTHER great ski out there?? There probably is, too. But after my demo, I was in love & had no qualms about the purchase. If you can walk away with that feeling after a demo...just buy them & enjoy!

Congrats on your impending fun purchase & best of luck!!

Yeah, sorry (no smilie for sheepish look... Ah - this one will do: :doh:) - I got a little wordy there.

Seriously, though, thank you so much, SG27, for your thoughts. The perfect jeans analogy is a great one. My learning curve is still so steep...I can probably afford to go demo-ing a few more times and then see what I can find @ sale time.

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
IcyBum, I'm a little concerned about the Rossi you tried. Z5W hasn't been around for a few years. Why did the shop let you try those? Rossi changed to the Attraxion series last year (2007).
Just like someone said in another thread, demo'ing is like boyfriends. Are you sure to want to marry this one, or is there better down the road? Can't help you on that!

Hi Jilly,

Oh dear, I was afraid of that. And they even had the Attraxion V at the mountain. Could have tried them there.

The shop where I got the Z5Ws was pretty disorganized with a crowd of customers in a small space and limited demo selection. And I'd done a lot of research on the K2s and Volkls and was unprepared for the Rossi line (geez, I wish there was a gigantic catalog or manual I could bring around with me! Guess I'll have to make one myself). He showed me another Rossi Zenith unisez ski that was taller and said I would be better off using the Z5 as the first point of comparison. That made sense to me but I'm disappointed to hear that these were outdated and probably well-worn skis. (Note to self: ask to demo only current or very recent models! :doh: )

Is anyone familiar with good shops at Stratton for demo-ing, and is anyone familiar with the Atomic line, specifically Hot Minx and Foxy Mamas? The Foxys were on my list with Volkl Fuegos and Nordica Firefox (maybe if I just stuck to skis starting with "F" I'll save myself a lot of headache). I'd like to figure out what it was about the Hot Minx that I liked that I should look for in other skis, and also get a sense of how different the Hot Minx are from the Foxys. Thanks!

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is anyone familiar with good shops at Stratton for demo-ing, and is anyone familiar with the Atomic line, specifically Hot Minx and Foxy Mamas? The Foxys were on my list with Volkl Fuegos and Nordica Firefox (maybe if I just stuck to skis starting with "F" I'll save myself a lot of headache). I'd like to figure out what it was about the Hot Minx that I liked that I should look for in other skis, and also get a sense of how different the Hot Minx are from the Foxys. Thanks!

Startingate on rte. 30, near the Stratton access road, (I bought my boots and my Head Monsters there) has Atomics, Equipe (on rte. 30, but they also have a store right at the base of Stratton) has Volkls (that's where I demoed and bought my Fuegos :becky: ).

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
Startingate on rte. 30, near the Stratton access road, (I bought my boots and my Head Monsters there) has Atomics, Equipe (on rte. 30, but they also have a store right at the base of Stratton) has Volkls (that's where I demoed and bought my Fuegos :becky: ).

Thanks! Can't wait to check those places out.

Hmm...that :becky: smiley has a little bit of a "nah na na na nah nah" to it... or at least it does to someone who envies you your Fuegos! If I had Fuegos (or whenever I find my perfect match skis, whatever they are, whenever that day comes) I think I will feel like this:
:fireworks:

w.ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you're going to demo from Equipe, do it from their store right at Stratton. That way you can easily go in and switch to a different ski if you want to.

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks! Sounds like they'll have a good selection, too.

I am amazed to have had this good luck, as someone who never wins anything but still spends too much time and $ trying - but I won 2 free tix with the Stratton ticket giveaway! (https://stratton10k.com/) So now I can spend that $ on demos...

By the way, I apologize for that typo in the thread title. It's really bugging me but I can't edit it!

back2ski

Certified Ski Diva
The giveaway seems to be a freebie, too bad no airline tix come with it! :rolleyes:

Congrats on your Atomic find though.

IcyBum

Certified Ski Diva
Yup, totally free! It's a rare one.

Atomics aren't a definite but I'm very excited to have found something that is getting me closer to the right ski for me. But thanks for your good wishes!

back2ski

Certified Ski Diva
I forwarded my free ticket email to dh...he called and asked what it was, the proceded to laugh as though I'd lost my mind. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga