• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My Demo Day at Squaw Valley

DianaNR

Angel Diva
Following up on my earlier post, https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/introduction-demo-ski-recommendations.22603/

My stats briefly: 5’4”, 180 pounds, intermediate skier, not aggressive, ski groomers mainly but would like to dabble in easy bumps. Currently skiing Head Peak 72 in 156cm.

I had my first demo day at Squaw last Wednesday. It was a beautiful day. I don’t know Squaw, and I did eventually find an easy blue run right near the demo center at the top of the funitel.

Here are my experiences:

Blizzard Black Pearl 88’s: I think I really need the 159 length, but they naturally were out, so the young man confidently sent me off with the 166s. These are 10cm longer than my current skis, and they felt really long. Plus I could see them in my peripheral vision when skiing, which is distracting to me (I know, quit looking down!). Nonetheless, I get why people like these skis. These are stable, smooth and grippy. Despite the length, which I really am not comfortable with, I just felt very connected to the snow. I went down an easy run and it was a bit icy but these skis really kept on edge. I turned them back in after two runs and demoed the 152s. These were fun! Same stability and grippyness, but no issues with length. After this, I’m determined that I need to hunt down the 159s and demo them to compare to the 152s.

Next, I tried the Volkl Yumi’s in 154. Perfect length for me. I figured I would love them. Hated them. My notes say “chattery, flappy, yuck”. I thought I would catch an edge just getting to the lift. Two runs with these and back in.

Next up, the Nordica Santa Ana 93 in a 161 length. I think these are a bit long for me. I thought I was going to crash getting to the lift, but didn’t. The ends were kind of wide, like skiing with dinner plates on the end of your skis. I thought they were a tad chattery. I knew they were a no, until I siked down the hill. The guy in the demo center said they turned well, he was not kidding. I feel like I just thought of turning and boom I was turning. Really made turn initiation easy. I will try to demo the 153’s next time I go. I was not a fan of the color( holy pink and purple batman!) but for the right ski I would probably not care.

Thoroughly in my groove, I tried the Head Total Joys in a 158 length. I feel like someone strapped on baking pans to my feet and sent me off down the mountain. No spring or bounce, just kinda flat. One run on these and I was back at the demo center.

My last ski of the day was the Atmoic Vantage 90 CTI in a 153 length. Fun, zippy, light, springy. I so enjoyed these skis! The next size up is a 161, which I could try next time, they may be a bit long for me.

So, my conclusion is the best skis of the day for me were the Black Pearls and the Atomics. I would like to try the Nordica Santa Anas in the next size down. I seem to do better in a shorter ski, at least for now. I would also like to try the K2 Luvsick 80 and the Line Pandora/Soulmate 92.

I found out that there is a demo shop at Alpine Meadows, so I’m going to try to demo on my home turf there (although their demo skis go on sale the 15th of March, so there may not be much left by the time I get there).

Logistically, demoing at Squaw was really easy. I was doing a “work from home day”, and there is wifi everywhere. They don’t open the funitel until 9am on weekdays (really?) so I sat in Starbucks in the Village and checked my email, while watching the funitel line in my computer screen reflection. Took my computer up the funitel and stored it in a locker located right near the demo center. Its currently $69 per day to demo at Squaw, but with the season pass they take 50% off, so for less than $40 (I paid the $5 for damage waiver) I demoed six skis. I could have done more if I didn’t need to get home.

I cannot believe I’ve purchased skis without trying them in advance. I’ll probably never do that again!

sevensaes

Certified Ski Diva
As an intermediate skier who has spent this season demoing prior to buying new skis, I find other people's experiences fascinating and insightful, so really appreciate you posting your feedback. I am on the East coast now but used to ski in Tahoe, and I have a special place in my heart for Alpine Meadows...still miss those blues off of Lakeview Chair, and the ride down Alpine Bowl. :smile: Good luck finding your perfect skis!

DianaNR

Angel Diva
Hey sevenseas! thanks for your comment. Sadly, Lakeview Chair has been closed all year due to lack of snow, boo. I would like to get over there. I do see a bit of that view up on Alpine Bowl/Summit Chair, and it is stunning. I lived in Maryland for 8 years so I know a bit about the East coast/West coast thing - hope you have found a new place to call your "ski home".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga