• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

My 2009 race season has started!

altagirl

Staff member
We just got back from Sea Otter last night. I had a great time even though several of my friends weren't able to go this year. But it was fun hanging out at the Velo Bella tent and the weather was beautiful (two years in a row of no rain for me - I'm feeling very lucky!)

Anyway – this winter, while I was preparing for bike season, I laid out a few goals:

My #1 goal – turn the mental side of racing from a disadvantage to an advantage through mental training and preparation.

#2 – improve my riding skills. Three main things are looking ahead (particularly in technical terrain), continuing to work on my form in corners, and learning to jump/pump better.

#3 – improve my fitness so I can hammer up climbs and still be riding aggressively at the end of my run instead of just hanging on.

So my #1 thing for the season is to really take control of the mental side of racing. I tend to get really nervous and not race as well as I ride when I'm in the zone/relaxed/etc, and let the jitters get the best of me. And in a sub-3:00 race – you don’t have time to recover from that! I’ve done some coaching with Gene Hamilton in the past couple of years and have been reading a few books on this topic and that seems to be helping. I’ve been working on visualization/imaging and creating mental triggers to get me into the best mindset before a race so I’m able to get into the zone on command. Sea Otter always makes me pretty nervous since it’s definitely the biggest and toughest field I race against all season, but I was able to focus well and did a fairly good job with this (not perfect yet, but a big improvement compared to what’s normal for me). I still think I have a lot of room for improvement in getting myself really amped up to sprint hard through pedally sections, but it's a great feeling to be moving in the right direction with this.

For the skills training portion – I started out this season in February by heading down to Bootleg Canyon in Nevada with one of my teammates and 8 other women to do a women’s DH camp with Gene. This really helped me start things off right. A lot of it is review (which is always good and probably the best way to get back out on my bike for the season), but I definitely learned some new things as well, and Gene gave us a lot of drills and homework to work on to improve. I love working on cornering in particular and he added in a few components I hadn't thought of before. And Gene’s drills on looking ahead worked wonders for making things easier in rock gardens…. Of course, since there aren’t any rocks at Sea Otter, I guess I didn’t need that part, but I put it to use in that rutted up descent and tried to apply as many of the cornering concepts as possible during the first day or so of practice. We also discussed race prep in the camp and I decided to try and focus on the little details and technique issues during my early practice runs, but once it got close to race time I worked on just turning my brain off and letting my body do what it knows how to do. Your reaction times aren’t very good if you’re overthinking things, so I made it a point to do several practice runs as well that were top to bottom, with as little “thinking” as possible. Of course this wasn’t 100% during the race – I saw the four whoops right before the finish line and my brain got in the way and threw off my timing, but overall, things went well. I also need to continue working on jumping – I’m at the point now where I need to brake to hit my easier line over the log drop and I think I probably have plenty of speed to just hit the main line… so that’s on the goal list for next year.

And I was pretty happy with my fitness level coming out of winter. In Salt Lake City we just don’t have many opportunities for winter riding. So this winter I took up speed skating, which was fun (and a killer leg workout) and I skied, and hit the gym. And then as soon as the weather started getting nice (but our trails are still under snow) I went and bought a road bike and started riding that. I was hoping to lose a few more pounds before the season started, but I think the scale also reflects that I gained more leg muscle this winter… which I’m not complaining about. I still need to work on sprinting harder during races (though that’s getting my mental triggers dialed as much as anything), but I did a LOT of top to bottom runs at Sea Otter (including runs where I pedaled hard all the way through) and was feeling good. I know it’s a short course, but I was happy with that.

And my goal for the Sea Otter race was just to show significant improvement from last year by doing the above things – and while my overall result probably doesn’t look that impressive, (I finished 22nd of 26 with a 2:48) I'm pretty happy with it looking at the big picture. Last year I was 31st with a 3:03. That’s a big improvement on a short course and I feel like I improved in all three areas, so I’m pretty happy with that!

Hopefully I'll get a few more pictures soon, but here is what I have so far:

pbpic3307548.jpg

pbpic3307551.jpg

pbpic3307546.jpg

Snowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very nice! It sounds like you're well on your way to a great season. I'm also very psyched to hear how your training with Gene is paying off. I'm really looking forward to my clinic with him in a couple of weeks!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am so glad you started this thread b/c a friend of mine also raced the Sea Otter this weekend, and I could not for the life of me figure out why it sounded so familiar to me! Now I can go to bed at ease. :smile:

It's always good to have perspective, and it sounds like you're off to a great start in meeting your goals. Have a great season, altagirl!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AG,

Congrats on your improvements! That's quite a feat given the tremendous competition at the Sea Otter and how early it is in the season!!! Way to start off strong....grrrrrr!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::yahoo:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hooray! Excellent work!

We went to Sea Otter on Sunday. It would have been fun to meet up with you some time after your race, but I didn't know if we were going for sure until late the night before.

Anyway, we saw the Women's Pro DH and a good chunk of the Men's Pro DH, some Dual Stunt Slalam, and Dual Slalom. Also watched the Ryan Leech trials demo, which was very cool. We walked along the DH from the top all the way down past that steep, scetchy, rutted, sandy piece and then about 100 yards past the road crossing after that.

It was pretty cool over all. Didn't get to spend much time in the Village with all the event watching, but did give it a quick walk through from the DH area to the Dual Slalom.

The #1 phrase at Sea Otter: "Get some!" If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I'd have enough for a new tricked out Ibis Mojo with all the bling. I was even thinking it myself by the end of the day. :laugh:

Consuela

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PS. Very cool photo series above. Love the way it shows you looking into the curve as you come around.

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That's a pretty swanky new helmet you got there. Very nice!

It always feels great going into the season feeling good and strong. I think with all you did this winter, you're definitely going to see some big improvements this year (on top of what you did last year)!!

altagirl

Staff member
Thanks all! Heh I was pretty stoked that my number plate matched my swanky new helmet too! As Liana put it, I was looking pretty matchy-matchy coming down the course. :smile:

We really had a great time. And now I'm all motivated. I've spent a couple hours a day on the road bike since I got back. I was all stoked to ride local trails finally this weekend but now it looks like snow again. Oh well... :smile:

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Atta girl!

Not only is the helmet swanky but those shorts are sweet too!

I used to do alot of visual imagery when I was competitive distance running. I struggled alot with the mental issues, more with blocking pain than nervousness, but eventually I overcame it. As will you!

Have an awesome season, and have fun first and foremost.

altagirl

Staff member
Atta girl!

Not only is the helmet swanky but those shorts are sweet too!

I used to do alot of visual imagery when I was competitive distance running. I struggled alot with the mental issues, more with blocking pain than nervousness, but eventually I overcame it. As will you!

Have an awesome season, and have fun first and foremost.

Thanks! I love the new shorts - they're actually the Fox Switch pants - that zip off into shorts. :smile: Which is nice when you're going places where it might rain!

Anyway - I just got one more picture that I thought I'd share:

pbpic3335448.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna