• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Moving to God's Country

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year as I flew out of Aspen following their Women's Extreme camp with Didi Lawrence I realized how much I wanted to be closer to consistentlly quality skiing. This last fall a transition at work happened which got me to thinking about it some more, and about that time my brother (who can get me to do just about anything) suggested I move to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Since I'm from the Pacific Northwest and have always heard about CDA, and was living in Massachusetts longing for non-hardpack skiing, it piqued my interest. Long story short, DH gave the thumb's up, and we're moving there in May!

Important factors in the move decision were all the lakes and mountains close by, 4 ski resorts within a 90-minute drive, nearby cat and heliskiing, a short drive to BC, plus being closer to family and old friends. But the kicker was that nobody we met owns rock skis, or hardpack skis, or even a quiver--all they own is a pair of super fat powder skis!!!!

And another cool thing--my brother is moving there, too!!

So this season I've hardly been skiing at all. All the paperwork, plus packing and de-junking has eaten up all my free days. For a physician to change states and hospitals an appalling amount of paperwork is required--at least 10 full days so far, and I'm not done with it yet!!

Oh, horrors, just had a thought . . . . . if I end up with only one pair of skis, can I still call myself Quiver Queen??? Well, maybe so, I'll probably end up more bikes than the four I already have.:redface:

Everybody has a standing invitation to visit!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations! How exciting to make the change and be closer to family!

Sounds wonderful, good luck to you both. And what's with the doctor paperwork? DH took his recerts in internal medicine last year and it took a ridiculous amount of time, effort, and $ for the privilege of passing.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
YAY! Quiver Queen!
Or should we rename you, Phat Ski Quiver Queen!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome, congratulations! I've heard that Coeur d'Alene is gorgeous. I'm jealous, even though I :love: Colorado!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
C'da IS beautiful. My favorite thing about C'da is how the streets are lined with pine trees instead of Maples. Not that I have anything against Maples, but it is a neat difference. You must be looking at skiing Lookout, I have only been there for the Hiawatha in the summer. But they do get a TON of snow. Congrats you will love it there.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
What exciting news, Quiver Queen!! Was wondering what you'd been up to this season (now we know!).

I actually know this routine, having moved to my current location from 1400 miles distant (not as far as you're going, though!) and what's entailed those months prior (we also did the Big Move in May).....much work, endless details....

I know someone who relocated there (from San Diego) about 8 years ago and has embraced the lifestyle.

Definitely keep us posted when you can - wishing you tons of luck with the move!! :smile:

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
QQ,

That's fantastic news! My DH and I moved to Telluride for somewhat similar reasons, and we've NEVER regretted it! I'm so excited for you!

And, MSL, we may know the same couple!

mollmeister

Angel Diva
That's AWESOME! My FIL, who is a cardiologist, did a locum tenens (sp? long story) in Spokane for a year and spent a LOT of time in the Coeur d'Alene area and LOVED it (both as a doctor in that neck of the woods and for all the outdoor opportunities).

I just love that whole area, for the lakes and the mountains. And hey-- you're not THAT far from Fernie, which is a great place to ski!

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good luck with the moving stuff.....and the transition. How very exciting for you to embark on such a great new adventure.

I predict a future Diva Summit in the ID or PNW area in the future---go scout it out for us. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, and how very telling that you factored in the ski indicator (one pair of fat skis)----got your priorities very straight, I'd say.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congrats, Quiver Queen!

Sounds like it'll be a great move. The paperwork and legwork that goes into planning the move must be nuts, but the area ought to make it worth your while shortly. It's awesome that your brother is moving there, too.

Careful, you might find quite a few of us take you up on that offer to visit :smile:

GimpyGal

Certified Ski Diva
Congrats for having the courage to make such a big move! My husband and I just up and moved 4 years ago to Park City from Wa State to be closer to the mountains and have never looked back.

You will love CDA. It has pretty much everything you could ask for. And you'll appreciate having Spokane close but not too close by. And then there's Fernie which someone above mentioned. If you've never been there you definitely must put it on your list of places to go. Small town, big snows! Good luck. Tracy

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations and best wishes on the move! So great that you can follow your heart! :love:

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Congratulations Dawn! I am really happy for you, but I will miss skiing and biking with you. I guess I will just have to move out west myself! :drool:

But seriously, I wish you and DH all the best!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga