• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Morton's neuroma

mtnbikerskierchick

Certified Ski Diva
This is an interesting thread. I've suffered from minor Morton's neuroma (although, at times, the pain does not feel minor!) for years. I went to the doctor for it, and her response - you're getting old. I wasn't even 30 yet. Thanks for posting so much info about it on this thread. It's helpful!

I have been putting metatarsal pads in nearly every athletic shoe (and some others) for several years now. I also changed my backcountry ski boot. This has kept the problem at bay.

I was wondering though- Do any of you ladies suffering from Morton's neuroma also have crossed toes? I have had crossed toes on both of my feet since I was a child and I have a feeling that this is triggering the problem more than anything. I'm wondering if having surgery to fix the crossed toes would help resolve it....

Soho

Certified Ski Diva
The latest update for me is it's likely a stump neuroma from the original surgery. I've now had 5 cortisone shots and each works a little bit longer (the last one was awesome for more than 5 weeks), but the Dr. says no more cortisone, so we're back to trying the alcohol thing before considering surgery. He did say he does a special stump neuroma surgery that very few other surgeons will do where they cap the end of the remaining nerve once the irritation is removed. He's done 12 of them so far and has had a 100% non-return rate after doing it. Not that that makes me want to endure surgery again, especially since this one requires a bottom-of-foot approach and much longer recovery time.

The shoes that I've had met pads put in seem to irritate it the least, but wearing some of my sandals, one pair of tennies,one pair of hikers, and going barefoot is killer right now.

Sigh. So frustrated.
How long ago was the original surgery?

Soho

Certified Ski Diva
The sclerossing alcohol is to kill the nerve. Other it can continue to grow and encapsulate.

mustski

Angel Diva
This is an interesting thread. I've suffered from minor Morton's neuroma (although, at times, the pain does not feel minor!) for years. I went to the doctor for it, and her response - you're getting old. I wasn't even 30 yet. Thanks for posting so much info about it on this thread. It's helpful!

I have been putting metatarsal pads in nearly every athletic shoe (and some others) for several years now. I also changed my backcountry ski boot. This has kept the problem at bay.

I was wondering though- Do any of you ladies suffering from Morton's neuroma also have crossed toes? I have had crossed toes on both of my feet since I was a child and I have a feeling that this is triggering the problem more than anything. I'm wondering if having surgery to fix the crossed toes would help resolve it....
I have the opposite problem ... my 2nd and 3rd toes are starting to spread pretty widely apart. I do get "trigger toe" though... usually when I'm swimming. I have to stop and manually stretch the toes. Sometimes it doesn't go away and I just have to quite swimming.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The original surgery was May 2010. I have to admit that I'm disappointed right now, but to have been completely pain free for 4 years was totally worth the temporary down time.

The last cortisone shot alleviated the pain for about 5 weeks, but now it's back and we started the ethanol shots this week. Sigh.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Ladies,

not sure if anyone remember me I last posted 2 years ago when preparing for a mountain collective trip! @volklgirl i remember your name.

Anyway I have been meaning to come and post about our next trip - which right now may or may not happen :-(

Okay it will - but how much skiing i do is another story!

I think i have a Neuroma of some description :-(

I have an ultrasound that didn't show one (but not sure how conclusive that is though) but ended up at a leading Australian foot surgeon who diagnosed a stress fracture. However i am still having nerve issue 3 weeks post diagnoses.

My physio hinted at still having a Neuroma issue - but only touched on it. He did put a dome under my toes in my aircast - and that seems to help. So i feel like that is pretty much conclusive on a nerve issue.

I have read online that you can have nerve damage of some description without it actually being a Mortons Neuroma. And after reading your stories ladies I am hopeful that the damage can be repaired/healed.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even if it is the beginnings of a neuroma, adding met pads and stabilizing the foot may be enough to alleviate it. I let mine go for almost 20 yrs before I did something about it.

Latest update on mine is that the original neuroma has not reoccurred, and it's actually the secondary neuroma in the 1-2 space that's irritating me now. First the cortisone, then the alcohol and it went away until Memorial Day weekend when I did a 7 mile hike in new shoes. More alcohol (7 first, and now 3), and hoping that will be the end of this one again.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ozgirl - fingers crossed for you! I still have my neuroma, which recurred post-surgery. I was going to have another surgery, but I blew out my knee instead. There are many options you can try before surgery.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks ladies!

Fingers crossed i can ski ok next Saturday!!!

I am out of the boot - but have it beside me here at work.

I am going to to do all the exercises the physio gives me and hope it works/helps!

I don't have any sharp pain any more but i am definitely aware of the nerve in my foot - if that makes sense.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know exactly what you mean.

dianakate

Angel Diva
I have neuromas in both feet. One foot was diagnosed 12 years ago and I got cortisone shots (I don't recommend that!) and orthotics. The other one has developed over the past few years. They both act up occasionally, mostly when I don't wear shoes with good support or go barefoot. It makes getting ski boots a nerve-wracking experience. I have never had surgery. I purchased something called Yoga Toes a couple years ago, they are like silicone versions of what they put between your toes during a pedicure, and I have found these to be extremely helpful. I will wear them at night while I am reading or watching tv and they help quite a bit for conservative treatment.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks @dianakate I might try and get a pair of those!

I actually came on her to ask for shoes tips.

I have a 15years old pair of trainers that i have been wearing all weekend. the difference has been amazing (I was originally diagnosed with a stress fracture - and it could have been both) so had been getting around either bare foot or with the boot on.

I wore thongs to and from the car for a mani/padi yesterday and that was terrible - i swear i wore them no more than 5mins! It highlighted to me that i am going to have to change entire shoe wardrobe.

ozgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL - thongs + flip flops here!

I am sure i gave you all a few laughs with that one!

SkiBilly

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm going to get a CAT scan after Christmas. I went for an hour and 45 minute bush walk and ended up hobbling home. The ball of my foot was so painful and the 3 middle toes were on fire. I've had enough and I need to get it sorted before Our ski holiday on 22 Feb. Last season it was only my toes burning on my right foot and I couldn't enjoy skiing (I also ended up with toe bang), but with how it is now I won't be able to do more than two runs without my foot killing me. I looked up my symptoms and they are classic of Morton's.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hadn't heard of a CAT scan to image this!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga