• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mishap: Hanging from the chairlift

SkadiSkiGrrl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And some people need to be told you can't sit down, though they do find out pretty quick. There is a surprisingly large amount of people that do try and sit down. The other week I saw 3 people try and sit down on a button lift.
A button lift? I have to google that....
Oh, I've used one those in Cortina. They look like baboon bottoms. It's hard to look cool on one of those.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Before I started up skiing again just before I joined this list, I had been skiing one time when I was 12. I truly vaguely remember trying to sit down on a drag lift and falling...

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
...poma lifts...

Hey you know, interesting - it was only recently that I found out the button lifts (as I unpleasantly call butt plug lifts) are called POMA lifts in the US.

To me, POMA is just the brand. St Lary, where I was on Saturday, is completely outfitted with lifts by POMA, so the name is everywhere and you wouldn't differentiate between a drag lift and a chair lift etc by using that name.

In any case, I like those better than T-bars.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was a young kid when I learned skiing and gymnastics, so I thought a poma lift and a pommel horse were derived from the same word. Actually, I called them both "poma" and didn't realize until waaaaaay later in life that (1) they were not the same and (2) POMA was a brand. :smile:

alicie

Angel Diva
Hey you know, interesting - it was only recently that I found out the button lifts (as I unpleasantly call butt plug lifts) are called POMA lifts in the US.

To me, POMA is just the brand. St Lary, where I was on Saturday, is completely outfitted with lifts by POMA, so the name is everywhere and you wouldn't differentiate between a drag lift and a chair lift etc by using that name.

In any case, I like those better than T-bars.

I think the detachable ones are usually called pomas because the company first made the detachable ones.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
In any case two POMA drag lifts at St Lary start you out with a really violent yank - which if you are not careful can even cause you to catch air. Really tough for the weak or unwary - and the snowboarders. Plus, the shorter of the two lifts is 1.65km long. There are some pretty knarly drag lifts out there.

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I first saw a Tbar here I was in shock. I hated them when I was 10 and I knew I would hate them 30 years later :smile: and I do hate them. We avoid them at all costs, DH won't even go to an area where you must use them. And around here, they are everywhere! There are many smaller ski areas that the locals have been skiing at their whole life that are 100% T bars. We get invited to go and often make an excuse to not go.

I hate them especially with kids. And ESPECIALLY when my son, aged 6, riding with his little friend, makes them 'fall off' the Tbar in the middle of a wooded area because they are fooling around. And then your only option is to either walk up or down because the trees are not passable. With the 6 yr old's skis and yours. Grrrr….

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
This weekend I am at Les Angles - they have more drag lifts than chairlifts - and all "Pomas" as you call them.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
This weekend I am at Les Angles - they have more drag lifts than chairlifts - and all "Pomas" as you call them.

grlacey

Certified Ski Diva
I have nightmares about this happening. A couple years ago DH and I had a complete miscommunication at the lift. I was ready, he was not. Then he hurried to catch the chair leaving me to scramble as well! once i was at the line, i turned to see where the chair was and got hit square in the face. Knocked me into the seat and out cold at the same time! Hubby had to hang on to me most of the way up! Had the swollen face and black eye for the rest of that week.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week at Bridger Bowl I encountered the loading conveyors for the first time. And for the first time in over 20 years, I fell trying to get onto the chairlift. Thankfully I got an arm up before the oncoming chair clocked me in the head. You just can't adjust once you're on the thing! A little off and you're stuck there and can't slide things around! I was so glad to see that Big Sky didn't have them.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I hate those loading conveyors. For me, they're up there with toilets that flush automatically (and not always when you want). Sheesh, I'm quite capable of flushing a toilet and geting on a chairlift with any mechanical help!

Ursula

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well, these conveyor belts are pretty much the standard in Europe where they have a lot of 8-seaters! And, in my opinion, a necessity! If you ever have watched 8 folks trying to get on the chairlift together on a slippery platform, you know why resorts install the conveyors. :wink:
They times the lifties have to stop the lifts because folks got tangled up is A LOT less on chairlifts with the belts. Yes, the first time, it's sort of strange to use them, but they really work.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Today during my second day at the "resort where Poma lifts reign supreme", I got bored and started sideslipping, kneeling down (on the tele skis), fake jogging, etc while being dragged up for the umpteenth time. Then I saw another skier do a 180 and allow himself to be dragged backwards, another hopping about in a manner I still haven't figured out (think snow ballet) and a snowboarder holding on with his hands and jumping 180s - the snowboarder also did managed some strange on-snow 360s with the Poma between his legs the entire time. I guess that if you are a local and spend half of your season on these things, you have to fill the time somehow. Anyway, food for thought if you need a challenge.

skishred42

Diva in Training
This is a silly question, but is there some reason that you can't just stay on the lift and ride it down, if you miss getting off? This would seem safer than jumping from several feet. At Loveland there is a midway point at chair 2 where you can unload and load. Last season, I moved over so a man and his teenage daughter could load, and dad missed the mark and fell about 6 feet. I was really worried about him, but his daughter was like "he'll be fine" like he does it all the time!

cheerrabbit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a silly question, but is there some reason that you can't just stay on the lift and ride it down, if you miss getting off? This would seem safer than jumping from several feet. At Loveland there is a midway point at chair 2 where you can unload and load. Last season, I moved over so a man and his teenage daughter could load, and dad missed the mark and fell about 6 feet. I was really worried about him, but his daughter was like "he'll be fine" like he does it all the time!
I have seen this on Lift 6 once when a teenage girl missed getting off and the liftie couldn't reach her well enough to assist. I think they prefer to get you off though.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
This is a silly question, but is there some reason that you can't just stay on the lift and ride it down, if you miss getting off?
Yes. It's all in how the lift was constructed and/or retrofitted. Downloading requires that cable tensioning, even cable diameter, and sheave trains be different than if the lift won't be doing any downloading. In some cases, especially with detachables not entirely built for downloading, it can be done every few chairs (usually 3 or 5). But if not really designed for this at the outset (or retrofitted, as mentioned), it's not happening.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last week at Bridger Bowl I encountered the loading conveyors for the first time. And for the first time in over 20 years, I fell trying to get onto the chairlift. Thankfully I got an arm up before the oncoming chair clocked me in the head. You just can't adjust once you're on the thing! A little off and you're stuck there and can't slide things around! I was so glad to see that Big Sky didn't have them.

I almost bit it, too, because I tried to adjust or something. :smile: I also bruised myself on a gate thing because I didn't know if they were flexy/released under pressure or opened completely on their own, and I decided to figure out which by, uh, thrusting myself into one of them. It took getting used to the idea that not everyone needs to be lined up to be picked up by the same chair!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga