• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We just ordered our buff filter masks for skiing this season, since stuff is finally looking to open around here soon. I ended up getting the kids size for myself so fingers crossed it fits!

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband told me that he ended up skiing (like, actually skiing) with his Buff filter tube over his mouth and nose because it seemed like more of a hassle to pull it up when on and around lifts, then down for skiing, repeat repeat. He just has normal (not heated/fanned) googles and didn't have any fogging.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My husband told me that he ended up skiing (like, actually skiing) with his Buff filter tube over his mouth and nose because it seemed like more of a hassle to pull it up when on and around lifts, then down for skiing, repeat repeat. He just has normal (not heated/fanned) googles and didn't have any fogging.

Are most people planning to not ski with masks up? I was planning to just put it on and leave it on. But I also work in a grocery store with a mask on for hours so masks don't faze me at this point.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are most people planning to not ski with masks up? I was planning to just put it on and leave it on. But I also work in a grocery store with a mask on for hours so masks don't faze me at this point.
I don't generally like having my mouth and nose covered when I'm skiing so do lower the mask for most runs. It seems to stay in place ok just tucked around my chin. I'm not touching anything except my own gear and have a separate pair of gloves to wear when I'm in the gondola, so I think this is ok.

The one problem I found with lowering it to ski was when the mask was a bit wet and the wind was freezing - it started to freeze up. It's not cold enough for it to be really solid by the end of a run but it might be a lump of ice come January!

Christy

Angel Diva

I have seen exactly one person skiing with the mask up. Laws/rules here anyway don't make you wear it while in the act of skiing since you aren't close to others. We mask up where required (base, shuttle, lifts, restroom, anytime you are close to others). It's also how hiking, etc work, out here at least (mask up when passing/near people, don't worry about it otherwise).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have very sensitive, fair, acne-prone mid-40's skin. They do not itch me. I did pre-wash them in my regular laundry detergent and air dry them ahead of time. They are very soft, just like the merino wool buff I wear when skiing.
Thanks for sharing these. I love merino and usually use a merino buff, so I think I will like these. I won't get them until after Christmas because I went with the free shipping--I figure I can wait a few weeks because I don't think I'll wear them for anything but skiing.

Has anyone else spent a stupid amount on face coverings, only to have several that you hate?

Scribble

Angel Diva
I have been wearing mine all the time. It isn't the greatest feeling after a few hours of use but an unexpected side effect is that I haven't had any trouble with my asthma. Cold dry air is a major trigger for me, so this is great! I keep a spare in my pocket so I can change to a dry one but its such a production I haven't bothered yet. That might change when it gets colder.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I mostly pull mine down when skiing, though as it gets colder probably not as much. I also like to pull it down on the lift if I’m alone. Another thing that will be less as the cold comes in though.

This weekend my adult seasonal program starts as well, 3 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. So I’ll plan to leave it up at all times if possible during those times when I’m with a group. Makes the most sense as I assume we’ll be doing 2 on the ends of lifts and you end up stopping on the hill alot for drills etc.

SierraLuLu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been wearing mine all the time. It isn't the greatest feeling after a few hours of use but an unexpected side effect is that I haven't had any trouble with my asthma. Cold dry air is a major trigger for me, so this is great! I keep a spare in my pocket so I can change to a dry one but its such a production I haven't bothered yet. That might change when it gets colder.

Same!! I usually cover my face when skiing anyway so that the cold air doesn’t trigger my asthma. I usually wear a balaclava, but will probably wear just a mask and neck gaiter this year.

newboots

Angel Diva
Has anyone else spent a stupid amount on face coverings, only to have several that you hate?

Oh yeah. I got one from Etsy early on, and truly it was fine for walking around rural Vermont and going into the occasional supermarket when the incidence of positive virus up there was so low. $5. Then I bought two "shaped" Vera Bradley masks. Pretty, but not too much better. Foggy. They were probably $5 each.

Then I bought 5 masks from Caraa, on the recommendation of my daughter. $25 for 5. Turns out the wire over the nose is not as stiff as the ones she bought earlier, so fogging on my glasses continues.

Then I read a review of masks on Forbes.com and bought a Halo mask. $30. Some kind of special nano-something filter, wired nose, shaped, and foam strips to put along the top to keep from fogging. I wash masks after every use, and you have to fish out the filter, be very gentle, and not squeeze the wire. But the foam strips are falling off. They are held on by being sticky, and I cannot envision this as a long-term solution.

I bought a Seirus Evo Dana for skiing, and it appears it should work well. I haven't skied yet. $30.

Then on the recommendation of @Olesya Chornoguz , I bought some Bioskin masks. Only used once, but I am quite impressed! 3 for $35. I was thinking of giving the other two away for stocking stuffers, but no! I'm keeping these. Beautiful mountain design. Here's hoping!

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied in a KN95 mask today (from ihealth.com they had some that are not huge--many of the KN95 masks I've seen are huge/oversize and would never fit me). I was most concerned about goggle fogging, as I always seem to have issues when wearing gaiters/buffs/tubes etc. I don't know if the temperature will make a difference (was about 32 degrees and climbing today) but I had absolutely no fogging wearing that mask.
As long as I positioned it correctly for me, it didn't suffocate me either. At first the nose wire was pressing down right where my goggles were sitting on the bridge of my nose and I couldn't breathe, but once I drew the mask up a bit higher, it was fine.
It didn't get wet/soggy either. I wore the earloops under my helmet and they were fine too.
Because I wore the mask under my goggles, I ended up just leaving it on all the time rather than putting it up and down (too much trouble and didn't want to keep touching my face area or having to remove my gloves to get it all set again).

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, crap. The ihealth KN95 masks that I was using have been changed. The new box I just received are bigger and do not fit me well at all. The nose and chin has space where air come out (and in). Now I have to find something else. :frusty:

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It looks to me to be it’s own freestanding mask thingy. Basically a type of buff/ tube but more coverage and structure to make a breathing pocket of sorts and away from your mouth. Which makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is marketing it as “discreet.” Currently a mask that is more than a single layer buff is a good thing. Why try to mask that? (Pun intended.)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna