• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Marker F10 touring bindings

sarahmae

Diva in Training
Anyone have any experience with these bindings and have any reviews? I am new to backcountry riding and I'm looking for an all mountain tour capable option. Thanks!

elemmac

Angel Diva
Sorry, no experience with the Marker F10. I got my first set of AT binding last year, and have skied them both in the resort as well as a couple backcountry hikes. I went with the Tyrolia Ambition and have been very happy with them (although I don't have much to compare them to). But they're super easy to get in and out of touring mode. I like the 4 different angles, 0 deg, 5, 10 and 15, whereas I believe the F10 has 3. And last year when I was researching I found reviews discussing how the Ambition was less prone to icing up when in the touring mode.

The one thing that I'm not too fond of is how high the riser is, I'm still getting used to skiing something where I'm raised up off the snow a bit (although I think I'd have this issue with most AT bindings?).

Happy skinning!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I don't have the Marker F10 either - I have the Fritschi Eagle. @elemmac - mine has several different heights for the riser, including flat. The binding is up on a metal bar, so there's definitely some flex between boot and ski - I think that's true for most everything that's not Dynafit/Tech.

@RachelV - do you have the Marker?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't have experience with them yet, but I did buy a pair to use when I try out touring this year too!

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Different frame bindings will have different risers. I think Marker F10 is among the lowest, Fritschi Freeride is among the highest. Being lifted off a ski works well in powder, I loved skiing with Fritschis on powder days, but on hardpack it wasn't as much fun, on ice it was extremely unpleasant. Many people are fond of Salomon Guardians, but they must be the heaviest of the bunch, even in the lighter, DIN 13, version. I switched to Dynafit setup in 2013/2014 season. Much lighter so I can cover bigger vertical and skin for longer, but downhill also took some getting used to and I am considering putting shims under bindings toe-pieces for more relaxed stance and better balance. I think F10 is a good choice. If I buy another pair of skis they will get either F10 or F12. Fritschis are often recommended because you don't need to take a ski off to switch modes from walking to skiing, but in reality this feature is a gimmick, on these short downhill stretches that you can come across while skinning uphill, where you can ski with skins attached you should also be able to ski with free heels - it will definitely be easier than switching modes on the go using a ski pole. So don't let this feature influence your decision:smile:

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
mine has several different heights for the riser, including flat. The binding is up on a metal bar, so there's definitely some flex between boot and ski

I guess I didn't really mean "riser", I meant how high the "metal bar" is off of the ski while skiing. The riser for climbing is awesome, no complaints there.

Being lifted off a ski works well in powder, I loved skiing with Fritschis on powder days, but on hardpack it wasn't as much fun, on ice it was extremely unpleasant.

This gives me so much hope for the Tyrolia's, as I haven't been able to get them out on a good powder day yet.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Being lifted off a ski works well in powder, I loved skiing with Fritschis on powder days, but on hardpack it wasn't as much fun, on ice it was extremely unpleasant.

I have never noticed loving being up high, but I definitely dislike them on hardpack - a couple of years ago, on bitterly cold days, I would skin up Breck and then ski down (they don't allow midday uphill traffic anymore). Going down was definitely challenging, and not fun - lots of vibration, and poor transfer to the ski.

Fritschis are often recommended because you don't need to take a ski off to switch modes from walking to skiing, but in reality this feature is a gimmick, on these short downhill stretches that you can come across while skinning uphill, where you can ski with skins attached you should also be able to ski with free heels - it will definitely be easier than switching modes on the go using a ski pole. So don't let this feature influence your decision:smile:

I disagree. I often forget or don't bother to change the mode until I'm done with everything else and already clipped in. I wouldn't change modes with a ski pole while still striding, but it takes a lot less time to free the heel than to attach skins, and it's just a little thing to make it more comfortable striding across a flat. Necessary? No. But it's nice. What I do like about my Fritschis is how easy it is to get into them, even when there's lots of snow everywhere, so I can't completely clear it off my boot. I can't compare to other similar bindings, though - they may all be like that. I'm comparing to my regular downhill Markers, which I'm pretty much tired of - so hard to stomp into, and I spend minutes clearing my boots.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting, this reverse functionality never occurred to me. I always looked at it as locking the heel on the climb, rather than freeing it on the flats :smile:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Interesting, this reverse functionality never occurred to me. I always looked at it as locking the heel on the climb, rather than freeing it on the flats :smile:

Wait, why would you lock the heel for a climb?

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sometimes there can be short downhill sections, because often the approach is kind of rolling, or mixed with rolling sections. They are short enough and can be skied down without removing skins, but they can also be skied without locking the heel.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have these and have skied them on lift served and touring for the past 4 years. I really like them, my first touring bindings were Fritschi Freerides which are supposed to be better to tour with but I did not like skiing them. The markers ski like normal alpine bindings to me which meant i could use one ski for all my skiing and not invest a lot of money in something I might not get a lot of use out. I will eventually go Dynafit (or similar) but I would need to go touring a lot more to justify a whole new setup.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga