• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Mama needs new skis! Kastle mx88, Nordica HBs, Blizzard BP?

SkiNW

Diva in Training
Hi Ladies, I know, there's LOTS of info on here already, but I wanted to ask specifics.

I am an expert skier normally off-piste if conditions warrant, but also spend some days on the groomers with my kids. I am 5'4" and 125 pounds. I ski Whistler, Crystal (and Snoqualmie Pass when with kids). I'm currently on old Rossignol B3s in a 160. They've been OK. They are good in the bumps which I love to ski, decent in the powder, terrible at high speed and on "icy" groomers even after a tune.

I've tried:

Salomon Rockette 90 -Liked them in Whistler, but made me tired. Make sense? I can't explain.
Volkl Kenja - liked them, but only skied groomers and a few bumps in Sun Valley.
Fischer KOA 88 - Ah, just OK for me. Nothing particularly bad, but again, only in Sun Valley.
Atomic Century - Liked them in Whistler (no new snow), but they felt a little cheap? Not sure how to describe.

I WANT to try and am wondering what else you ladies recommend:

Kastle MX88 - Does any lady my size own these? Too much ski?
Kastle BMX88 - Anyone skied BOTH these Kastles? BMX sounds like it might be better for my size, not sure.
Nordica Hells Belles - Sounds great!
Blizzard Black Pearl - Any thoughts?

Again, I'm so sorry, I know these skis are all reviewed here. I've read the comments and I'm curious about the specifics above still.

Many thanks,

Robyn

Celestron2000

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How bout adding the Volkl Aura, since you like the Kenja and ski off piste a lot ? Maybe the Temptation 88 if you like Rossis...

kirsje

Diva in Training
I think you might find the Black Pearls too soft. I am an advanced skier and spent all day yesterday off-piste at Stevens Pass. I spent the day demoing the Samba, and man was I in love. Went to Sturtevants this morning and purchased them in 173. I had demoed the 166 earlier in the season and even at the shorter length, they held edge well on the groomers. But the 173 is just way more stable for me. I am taller and way heavier than you, 5'8, 175, but I think with our snow conditions you might be happier off-piste with something in the 98mm underfoot range. I was super impressed with the Nordica Nemesis as well. It was really close, but ultimately I went with the Samba because of the tail rocker and they are a bit lighter. My legs lasted so much longer than usual yesterday. I also demoed the Hells Bells and found them nice, but the Nemesis was a wow in the crud. Also demoed the KOA 88 and was not very happy in the heavy crud that day. I skipped the Aura because I thought it might be too stiff and crave speed to much. I did not care for the Atomics either. Good luck! Wanting to check out Crystal so bad, but we are so much closer to Stevens and have season passes. Someday...

SkiNW

Diva in Training
Excellent, thanks for the tips! It's hard to find shops that demo the list everyone is recommending and the ones I want to try! I think I found a place in Whistler so I will have to make a girls' trip next weekend to nail this down! Until then, keep any thoughts or comments coming! :smile:

P.S. Kirsje, it sounds like I should see what Steven's demos! You tried some of the skis I want to try!

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was going to recommend the Blizzard Sambas as well. But I'd still give the Black Pearls a try. You're skiing the Rossi B3s which are softer than the Black Pearls.

Ellen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Kastles FX 94 which I like quite a bit. They are good at ice, bumps, new snow. I am 5'5'' and about 120. I haven't skied the MX but I know it has excellent reviews. I don't know if the reviewers are in your (and my) size range. I find the FX very precise and responsive. I do masters racing so usually ski GS and SL skis but the Kastle is my new snow and spring conditions ski.

Jilly

Staff member
I was in WB last month, 2 of the ladies I was with had the Atomic Storms. Not as wide as the Century....I skied my Temptation 88's. Fully rockered so go longer if you decide to try.

kirsje

Diva in Training
I don't think Stevens has Kastle, but they do have Hells Bells, Black Pearl, and Samba. They also have Rossi S3 and S7 I think. Good luck, jealous of your Whistler girls trip! We're planning a Whistler trip for my husband's 40th next year.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga