• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Making Skiing Fun Again

newboots

Angel Diva
So, I spoke with my boss today and got approval to take 2 weeks off in January. I'm going to register for the Okemo Women's 5 day workshop, and then ski Diva East the following week. Anybody want to join me at Okemo, or meet up for a meal, etc?

Me, too! I'm moving in to my new place in Woodstock Tuesday!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I booked the Women's 5 day program and my lodging. Next up, a session with the trainer at work next week to get on a new training program. And find a 5k to run before Christmas.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And those of us who ski big mountains will be intimidated by the East Coast skiers who are awesome carvers...

Exactly. Carving and angulation are not part of the Utah skier format. It's so apparent from the chair as we watch below---Local. East coast. local. local. East coast.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My concept of ski fun is evolving. Maybe it's age. Maybe it's changing ski environments and more equipment choices.

In my previous ski days, I was less interested in proper form (very obvious to those who skied with me) but I LOVED the exploration of the unknown. I loved going into the woods, new terrain off piste, and finding a way down. The fear factor (to a point) was something I sought and some of my best memories are of my little adventures into the dark forests.

But as the powder days became fewer and the crowds became larger, I've shifted by focus more to proper ski technique (with a little (well not so little)) push from my ski perfectionist DH who insists I stop skiing like a typical Utah skier. And maybe as I'm older, the fun is more in mastery of skills rather than exploring and seeking dangerous adventures just to have a challenge.

And I might add here that Vermont skiing at the Diva East last year---TERRIFIED me at first----real ice. real death cookies. Yowza. But it gave me best of both worlds---exploring new terrain AND being scared. scared enough to actually carve.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
And I might add here that Vermont skiing at the Diva East last year---TERRIFIED me at first----real ice. real death cookies. Yowza. But it gave me best of both worlds---exploring new terrain AND being scared. scared enough to actually carve.

Pshaw. It wasn't THAT bad, dloveski.

Wish you were coming with us to Whiteface. It's a terrific mountain; you'd love it.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pshaw. It wasn't THAT bad, dloveski.

Wish you were coming with us to Whiteface. It's a terrific mountain; you'd love it.

well, it I was scared enough to actually apply my little-used carving skill. which delighted DH, BTW.

I wish I could go to Whiteface---more snow there than in the Intermountain West right now. SAD.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I started reading this thread because I am not enjoying my skiing as much this season. Of course, the snow is below normal, much of it is man-made, and I'm a bit
fearful of hitting subsurface rocks. Hopefully a storm is on its way and the conditions will improve in the next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But my main problem is this sciatica issue which I've discussed elsewhere. It's turned my ski runs into an exercise in endurance. I'm constantly thinking "Well ...
I'm a bit tired and in a bit of pain but I want to get in "x" number of runs before lunch. That way I'll only have to ski "y" number of runs after my break and then I'll have skied enough runs to consider this to be a successful day and to improve my ski legs." Clearly I have the wrong attitude about all of this.

I should be thinking "Wow, I'm actually skiing! And it's a gorgeous day and it's a great temperature and the sun is shining!" (Haven't skied any powder days yet this season.) So I'm turning a fun experience into a calculation. I know it's the wrong way to approach the season and to enjoy myself. I'm also more scared than usual of being hit from behind, so I am spending much too much time looking behind me and waiting for other skiers to go by.

Maybe I'll do better after a few more days of skiing and a lot more snow. I certainly hope so. Although theoretically I am delighted to be skiing, in actuality I'm just not really having much fun so far this winter. I sure hope I can conquer these issues so I can derive maximum pleasure from my ski days.

Any thoughts?

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I started reading this thread because I am not enjoying my skiing as much this season. Of course, the snow is below normal, much of it is man-made, and I'm a bit
fearful of hitting subsurface rocks. Hopefully a storm is on its way and the conditions will improve in the next week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

But my main problem is this sciatica issue which I've discussed elsewhere. It's turned my ski runs into an exercise in endurance. I'm constantly thinking "Well ...
I'm a bit tired and in a bit of pain but I want to get in "x" number of runs before lunch. That way I'll only have to ski "y" number of runs after my break and then I'll have skied enough runs to consider this to be a successful day and to improve my ski legs." Clearly I have the wrong attitude about all of this.

I should be thinking "Wow, I'm actually skiing! And it's a gorgeous day and it's a great temperature and the sun is shining!" (Haven't skied any powder days yet this season.) So I'm turning a fun experience into a calculation. I know it's the wrong way to approach the season and to enjoy myself. I'm also more scared than usual of being hit from behind, so I am spending much too much time looking behind me and waiting for other skiers to go by.

Maybe I'll do better after a few more days of skiing and a lot more snow. I certainly hope so. Although theoretically I am delighted to be skiing, in actuality I'm just not really having much fun so far this winter. I sure hope I can conquer these issues so I can derive maximum pleasure from my ski days.

Any thoughts?

Other than getting the sciatica under control (hard to enjoy anything when we are in pain), change your focus and do something new. Quit counting runs. Work on adding or refining a brand new skiing skill. Ski different runs or ski old runs in a new way.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I decided that this season was about quality and not quantity. So it's not about getting in 50 days this year, its about having fun and skiing with friends.

I can relate to this. Today was just my sixth of the season - most years I have way more by this time. But I agree about the quality and today we totally focused on this. (Long lines made quantity difficult.) But by choosing wisely I know we ended up on the best snow on the mountain (Tremblant), which was NOT the groomers (which were scraped) but the woods, the bumps and other ungroomed. Lots of fluffy snow to be found. We took one particular run, @Jilly, which I'll describe to you when I see you and which I believe will remain one of the best this season. So my goal is to have lots more days like this.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna