• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Low volume ski boots recommendation for slim feet?

EloiseD

Certified Ski Diva
Hi divas,

I'm wondering what brand/model would you recommend for low volume feet?

I will definitely go to a good boot fitter for next purchase but I want to have some sense of knowledge before I go. E.g. I could check with them if they carry some interesting brand/model before going. I could have some datapoints on what boot volume remedies work well/not well and why.

My story:
I recently got a pair of Lange XT3 Free flex 115 boots (hybrid) in low volume and size 23/23.5. I went down for a size as my feet are 24.2cm. My previous boots are Salomon S/pro 80, MV, 23.5, which were now way too soft and a little roomy that hindered my fore/aft balance so much. As I do not have enough time to travel and visit a good fitter before the summer, I took my chance with the new Lange boots.
These Lange LV boots were more responsive and I did feel a better sense of control with the cants. However, on my first day of skiing them, I could easily tighten the instep buckles to the furthest end, and that way I still felt there's space between the liner and my instep. When I flex my ankles a little, there are much more space. I was so surprised that low volume boots could be so roomy, even more than my old Salomon MV boots. Such a huge difference between brands. I'll probably sell them online after getting a new pair of boots from some good fitters.

Please share your thoughts with me, on things like why these boots feel roomy, or recommending some other brands that tend to have lower volume, or what are the typical ways fitters do to further reduce volume and how they work for you...

mustski

Angel Diva
It’s not as simple as suggesting boots. The shape of your foot, your arch, your instep, your ankle flexion all play a significant role in determining the right boot for your foot. Don’t plan on going to a boot fitter and telling them what you want. The fitter is the expert. Go to a good one and let them tell you what you need.

where are you located? We may be able to recommend a good boot fitter.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Every brand has low volume models. Your feet may be low volume, but there is much more to what boot will work best for you than just that designation and I think you realize that with those low volume Langes that just don't fit right. Things like instep height, your forefoot width, heel width etc are all things to take into account. Do you have limited dorsiflexion, normal range or are you hyper mobile? There are so many boots out there and a qualified bootfitter can guide you to which boot would work best for you.

As for why the boots feel roomy? They are simply too big. It also sounds like you need a custom footbed to address your instep. Fitters generally don't reduce volume - it is easier to go with a tighter fit and to blow out hotspots. They may or may not mean sizing you down to a 22.5, but you'll want a proper shell fit.

As @mustski says, tell us where you are. The divas are a very helpful bunch and will try to point you to a good bootfitter!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
One thing to consider, especially on that instep buckle, is, can it be moved in. A lot of boots can mount the receiver for the buckle in different spots, and you can move it to make the WHOLE THING tighter. Based on a quick pic search, it looks like your boot can do that. Is your buckle also like this?

(My daughter is a super narrow and low volume foot)
1708789460686.png

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As a fellow LVer here's my 10 cents worth ..... Atomic Redster Sti :love:
I went from a kids race boot (Nordica Dobermann from memory) to a Lange (cant remember the model) then to a Technica Mach 1 LV and now finally my Holy Grail the Redsters.
Super responsive, a great fit (custom footbeds along with a bit of grinding out in the heel area) with a really nice smooth flex and hell on earth to get on but ya cant everything I guess :laughter:

As others have said there are other things to take into consideration than just being LV which is where a great bootfitter comes into it, luckily I have one of those on hand, and they are worth their weight in gold.
Good luck in your search x

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best boot I have ever had!!!! Went through several to find this. I wear a 21. However for me, this boot is quite easy to get into if it is warmed first. I have heated bag and rarely need the boothorn.
Best boot ever for me too !!! I keep mine in the footwell of the car to heat up on the drive then frantically shove them on as soon as I arrive before they cool down ... yes even before I go to the bathroom :laughter: Its a bumpy drive up !!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna