• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for reasonably affordable new helmet + goggles (ideally Asian Fit)!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Three years ago, I bought my first/current helmet + goggles combo at a ski mountain within my budget without doing any research because I needed them, so I ended up with a men's Smith Aspect size medium (they didn't have the women's) and Smith Squad Chromapop goggles. Well, the goggles have never fit well - I think because I'm Asian - so I have to tighten them a lot to have a seal and not only is that not comfortable, I'm also left with lovely goggle creases on my face at the end of the day :-/ The helmet is comfortable - I love the adjustable vents! - but it looks bulky on my head.

As a replacement, I'd like to get a past season's women's Smith helmet with adjustable vents for around $100 and Asian fit goggles, which I've heard Smith makes. I've also heard that Oakley makes Asian fit goggles, but not sure if integration would be a concern. Am I correct in assuming a women's Smith helmet would look more streamlined?

Any suggestions? Thank you!!! :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
Your best thing is to try on helmets, now, while there are lots around and find out which one fits best. Then look for goggles. I hear what you are saying about Smith and Smith. I have similar problems with my Salomon helmet. I think I had 3 pairs of Oakleys and none fit properly. Only the Salomon goggles worked.

So grab a "skull cap" and try on some helmets. The cap will make sure you don't end up with some lovely infestation.....it happens.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
It happened the other way around for me. I found a pair of Asian-fit goggles that would also go over my glasses in a store (the only one out of all the stores within driving distance), then look for the helmet. Both are Smith. As it happened, the Smith helmet felt more comfortable than any other brand I tried. They were not cheap though, but I needed something. After that I stuck to Smith and bought replacements of the same models usually at clearance sales. For my goggles, which are the IO/X Chromopop, I had to buy the Smith “helmet helper” and replace the strap clips. I couldn’t adjust the standard goggle straps loose enough to fit around the helmet comfortably. Amazingly, that isn’t an included item for the goggles, considering its price.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Oh, and I agree the Smith are more streamlined, especially the ones with a visor rim (not sure that’s the name for it). The Giros makes me look like I have a mushroom cap on my head.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I am Asian and asked the same question on this forum few years ago. Link below

Gear designed for asian fit

I ended up buying Oakley brand Asian fit goggles (Prizm rose) and Smith Asian fit helmet (Vantage model), both purchased online end season sale and did not try out either products beforehand. Both fit well and I did not have any complains. I am not very particular / picky in that regard.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
I have the Smith Mirage helmet and the Oakley Flight Deck in the smaller size. The two are compatible as in they fir fine together. There’s a lot of helmets for sale on STP and Cheap & Steap for sale right now. The Mirage is super comfortable. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t have much of a brim to keep the snow out.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Your best thing is to try on helmets, now, while there are lots around and find out which one fits best. Then look for goggles. I hear what you are saying about Smith and Smith. I have similar problems with my Salomon helmet. I think I had 3 pairs of Oakleys and none fit properly. Only the Salomon goggles worked.

So grab a "skull cap" and try on some helmets. The cap will make sure you don't end up with some lovely infestation.....it happens.
yikes, I never thought of using a skull cap to try on helmets - thanks for the advice!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
It happened the other way around for me. I found a pair of Asian-fit goggles that would also go over my glasses in a store (the only one out of all the stores within driving distance), then look for the helmet. Both are Smith. As it happened, the Smith helmet felt more comfortable than any other brand I tried. They were not cheap though, but I needed something. After that I stuck to Smith and bought replacements of the same models usually at clearance sales. For my goggles, which are the IO/X Chromopop, I had to buy the Smith “helmet helper” and replace the strap clips. I couldn’t adjust the standard goggle straps loose enough to fit around the helmet comfortably. Amazingly, that isn’t an included item for the goggles, considering its price.
I, too, find that the goggle straps aren't loose enough for the helmet, even though both are Smith - I feel validated. Was it a local store that carried Asian-fit goggles, or a chain? Thanks!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I am Asian and asked the same question on this forum few years ago. Link below

Gear designed for asian fit

I ended up buying Oakley brand Asian fit goggles (Prizm rose) and Smith Asian fit helmet (Vantage model), both purchased online end season sale and did not try out either products beforehand. Both fit well and I did not have any complains. I am not very particular / picky in that regard.
Thanks for the thread and the specific helmet suggestions!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
I have the Smith Mirage helmet and the Oakley Flight Deck in the smaller size. The two are compatible as in they fir fine together. There’s a lot of helmets for sale on STP and Cheap & Steap for sale right now. The Mirage is super comfortable. The only thing I don’t like is that it doesn’t have much of a brim to keep the snow out.
thanks for the recs!

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
I, too, find that the goggle straps aren't loose enough for the helmet, even though both are Smith - I feel validated. Was it a local store that carried Asian-fit goggles, or a chain? Thanks!
It was a chain - Sun & Ski. Though it used to be a well-known local store called the Ski Chalet before being bought by Sun & Ski. They were the only one I found who had Asian-fit of any goggles in the store.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I have the Smith Vantage and it fits pretty well. I went with the Smith I/OS goggles a while back. Even so, the helmet that @alison wong got that's Asian fit is slightly more comfortable. I had a chance to try it when we were skiing together. When it's time to replace my current helmet, I'll be on the lookout for opportunities to try Asian fit helmets.

Good luck with the shopping!

yogiskier

Angel Diva
Thanks! I'm going to try on helmets and goggles over the next few weeks, but have heard great things about the Vantage and am going to ask Sun & Ski and REI if I can try Smith I/O Asian Fit. I'm crossing my fingers that if I try and all is good that they might go on sale for Black Friday :smile:

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On my head are the Asian Fit Oakleys which I love and needed. Never knew about AF helmets.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you know which model are your Oakleys?
Sorry I don't. Let me ck when I dig up my ski bag. Agree with the above posters if you can call ahead and find out what stores near you stock AF. Or book a trip where there are a lot of Asian skiers/boarders and shop local. Lots of Asians skiing Tremblant/Montreal.

alison wong

Angel Diva
You can also check out Oakley website, it has Asian fit goggles for sale. They have free shipping and free return.
If you can't find anything from your local shop, shopping online is always an option, check return policy before making purchase though.
Book a trip where there are lot of asian skiers is a good option. Whistler/Blackcomb comes to mind.
Japan (Nagano / Hokkaido) is a bit far.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gilly1965