• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Looking for a narrow ski out west

lemonlime

Diva in Training
Hello ski divas! I’m hoping to buy a new pair on skis and I would love to hear feedback and any words of wisdom. I’m an intermediate adult re-skier, and I’m 5ft tall and 100lbs. I’m focusing on improving my technique so I can feel more comfortable on steeper terrain and moguls, but honestly I prefer to stay on groomed terrain. I mostly ski in California.

I tried the Rossi BlackOps 90 in 146 last month and strongly disliked them. I felt they were heavy and difficult to maneuver; my turns (and skiing in general) felt sloppy and I was exhausted at the end of the day.

I tried the Rossi Experience 82 Basalt in 143 today and oh my gosh what a difference. Different conditions to be sure but this ski felt maneuverable and sharp.

I’m wondering if I should try something even narrower? I’m in Tahoe, and there’s not much to demo in the narrow range. I’ve so far looked at Heavenly Sports and Powder House. I’m planning to try the Dynastar E-cross tomorrow (Also 82 underfoot).

There is also a pair of Dynastar E-lite 5 on sale online in the 155 length, which I think are 74 underfoot. I’ve pretty much convinced myself I’ll love this narrow ski. Would it be crazy just to buy them? I’m basically looking for someone to talk me out of this.

Anything else I should consider? Second question, are these skis in the 143-150 length too short for me? I’m not a speed demon by any means, and neither of the skis I’ve tried felt unstable at any speed today.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Have you had access to the Solomon QST line? I am more or less a perpetual intermediate. I am quite a bit heavier than you (though also short -lol). I demoed the Solomons a year ago and they were so easy to maneuver. I did find the tips a little floppy, not sure if I was pushing a speed limit, or if it was just my weight. But they were a nice and easy to maneuver ski.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately narrower demos are hard to come by here! Last year, I bought the Nordica Wild Belle 84 after trying it at Sierra-at-Tahoe. It was in their rental fleet rather than the demo fleet.

If you liked the Rossi 82, that seems like a good choice. 143 sounds a little short, but I'm 5" taller than you and had 151s up until a year ago (my latest skis are now 164).

I blindly purchased the Elan Wildcat 76 when looking for something narrower. Well, not blindly--I did a bunch of research first, but no demoing. It is very easy to turn and has a pretty wide shovel, so it doesn't feel too narrow for Tahoe. I did decide it was a little too soft when I want to go faster, so I've upgraded to the Elan Wildcat 82C (in one length longer than the 76). I've only taken them out one day so far, but I like them.

I'm of the opinion that if you find a good deal, you can sell it onward with minimal loss if you don't like it. Then again, I currently have four pairs of skis...but I plan to sell at least one if not two pairs!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Elan Wildcat 82C (in one length longer than the 76). I've only taken them out one day so far, but I like them.
I guess that means you're still searching and are going to sell these? Honestly, if you are ok with this model of "demo" buying, and selling after if they don't measure up, why not just buy that other pair too and sell them if they don't work out?

As for if they are too short - if you didn't feel that about the 143s, sounds like they fit the bill!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@lemonlime - can you demo longer skis and see how you feel on them? While we can ballpark length, it is you who can best determine what you are comfortable on. You said you liked the Rossi Experience Basalt in 143 - can you try them in the next size up to compare?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Calling @tinymoose - as an advanced skier with similar specs, your insight is always helpful.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is also a pair of Dynastar E-lite 5 on sale online in the 155 length, which I think are 74 underfoot. I’ve pretty much convinced myself I’ll love this narrow ski. Would it be crazy just to buy them? I’m basically looking for someone to talk me out of this.
Isn't that one of the ones in the SkiTalk demo fleet for sale, same length even? Maybe @SnowHot has some input for you.

lemonlime

Diva in Training
So many options! @leia1979 I am actually now really interested in the Wildcats, they sound like so much fun! But it looks like no way for me to demo, I'd have to buy and resell if they don't work out, which I'm definitely not opposed to!

@Sheena I haven't seen that style, but to be fair I haven't really been looking. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I go back to the shop.

@diymom Yes, Dynastars are the ones in the SkiTalk demo fleet. I really want to try them, but now think the Elan Wildcats might be better for me?

I'm either going to try the Dynastar E-Cross (82 underfoot) or Head Super Joy (75 underfoot) tomorrow (not skiing today unfortunately). @TiffAlt Both are in the low 150s, so I will l hopefully get a sense of the effects of the different heights. I'll either come back with a pair of skis, or with more questions. Wish me luck!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @lemonlime ! Like Lisa said, I'm similar in size to you (5'1" and 95 lbs). I haven't tried a lot of narrow skis in recent years since I have my junior race skis. Almost everything I've tried in the last couple years has been 80+, except for the Stockli Laser MX, which is 67 at the waist (so similar to my race skis).

What skis are you on now? Model? Length?

143 sounds a little short, even at your size, but if you're not picking up enough speed to hit their speed limit then maybe it's fine for now. My only concern is that even if they're fine now, you might outgrow them pretty fast. 155 might be quite a jump for you, though, if you're not used to being on a ski that long. That's partially why I asked what skis you've got now, especially the length.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My only concern is that even if they're fine now, you might outgrow them pretty fast. 155 might be quite a jump for you, though, if you're not used to being on a ski that long.
My line of thought too! I would nudge longer, but her comfort is most important.

lemonlime

Diva in Training
I tried the Super Joy today and it was really nice, but I had so much fun on the Rossi Experience I decided to go with that one. The Experience felt way more forgiving and just more fun, maybe more "poppy"? I don't really know how to describe it! I think it will be a great ski to learn and grow on.

The Super Joys I tried today were 153 in length, and to be honest I couldn't tell a big difference between them and the Experience in 143 in terms of stability. I think you are right @tinymoose that I am just not skiing fast enough to really notice. @TiffAlt thanks for the reminder than comfort is most important, I think that's what convinced me to go with the Experience.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I tried the Super Joy today and it was really nice, but I had so much fun on the Rossi Experience I decided to go with that one. The Experience felt way more forgiving and just more fun, maybe more "poppy"? I don't really know how to describe it! I think it will be a great ski to learn and grow on.

The Super Joys I tried today were 153 in length, and to be honest I couldn't tell a big difference between them and the Experience in 143 in terms of stability. I think you are right @tinymoose that I am just not skiing fast enough to really notice. @TiffAlt thanks for the reminder than comfort is most important, I think that's what convinced me to go with the Experience.
So glad you found something you love! Realize that these skis are not forever. We all progress at our own rate and as we do, if we need new skis to aid that progression, we just sell the old ones and buy something that fits us better for the level we are on. And always remember - skiing should be fun!

lemonlime

Diva in Training
So glad you found something you love! Realize that these skis are not forever. We all progress at our own rate and as we do, if we need new skis to aid that progression, we just sell the old ones and buy something that fits us better for the level we are on. And always remember - skiing should be fun!
Yes! Totally agree!

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad you found a ski you love. I love, love, love my Super Joys. They are fairly versatile also for a narrow ski. Finding that ski stoke is what it's all about.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna