• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Leg gaiters over snowboard pants when skiing?

SnowMom

Certified Ski Diva
Wondering if anyone has found a nice product that can protect the pant legs on snowboard pants when used for skiing. Basically the edges of the skis are slicing the bottom of the pant leg because the snowboard pants don't have cordura or something tougher at the bottom.

Has anyone used aftermarket leg gaiters over snowboard pants with ski boots? I'm somewhat tempted to just figure out how to diy something myself, but happy to buy something if it exists. I see a lot of gaiters for running and hiking...

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've tried my gaiters on ski boots and found that they weren't large enough to go around the entire boot, or the stirrup wasn't long enough to go under the boot. I didn't buy them for the purpose of using with ski boots, so it should be possible to find some that are large enough to accommodate a ski boot (mine are Outdoor Research).

Jilly

Staff member
You could get a seamstress to add tougher material in either a semi-circle or square.
Next thing is not to keep your feet that close together. I have a 5 year old pair of ski pants, no extra material at the bottom and I only have a few small cuts in them. I wear this pair most of the time.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Cut a rectangle. Velcro hook and loop on the short edge, elastic/shock cord to hold close on long edges. You will have to have a side entry because the dimension to get it over your boot and the dimension to go around your leg are too far apart. Or you have a tube that you put on with your pants and socks, then put boots on and pull down over your boots. A lycra sleeve works great to keep snow out but will get cut to shreds.
Jilly is right that it's your skiing style. The reality is any fabric tough enough to prevent cuts as a gaiter is going to be really bulky and not pull up with elastic. OR used to (might still) make some mountainerring gaiters that have a slim profile but no idea if they work with alpine boots.

I've worked on a lot of this stuff over the years, customizing and custom projects hence the brain dump. Take or leave the ideas as you see fit. :-)

elemmac

Angel Diva
I generally patch after the fact rather than mitigate the problem before it happens. Tenacious tape, NoSo patches, or just a quick stitch if it's a clean cut.

I recently bought some canvas patch material for a pair of shoes...I wonder if you could patch up a pair of ski pants with it for more durability...Amazon - King Mountain. They make all sorts of sizes, so you could probably get a big patch the size of a "normal" Cordura pant leg bottom, and just stick it on. I suppose this falls under the DIY consideration though, rather than a product specifically for this purpose.

SnowMom

Certified Ski Diva
My diy ideas floating around are along the lines of a cordura rectangle or a thin neoprene rectangle, probably with Velcro straps sewn at at least top and bottom to try it out with pants legs and ski boots before committing to permanent alterations. I like to prototype. :-) ...so basically exactly what @geargrrl suggested!

Full disclosure - snowboard pants in question belong to another member of my family, but I am the resident problem-solver and tinkerer.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna