• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Lake Placid/Whiteface, 1/10-1/13

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Sometimes it really pays to be the Ski Diva.

Take recently. The Olympic Regional Authority (ORDA) of New York State invited me to take a press tour of Lake Placid and Whiteface Mountain. I’d never been there, so I figured why not.

A better question is, why hadn’t I been there before? If I knew what I’d been missing, I wouldn’t have waited so long.

Some of you are already familiar with the area. You’re either local or have already paid a visit. Well, you’re smarter than I am.

I was positively smitten with the whole Lake Placid experience. The legacy of the Olympics permeates the place. You feel like you’re in the presence of giants. Olympic champions, and those who are associated with the Olympics, are as common as dirt. For example, Ed Weibrecht, owner of the Mirror Lake Inn, where I stayed, is the father of Andrew Weibrecht, winner of the bronze in the Men’s Super-G in Vancouver. They even have his medal on display:

5355443305_d5eabb0fd8.jpg

And the woman whose family owns the Crowne Plaza Resort tells us her dad either coached (or coached the coaches) for such champion skaters Paul Wiley and Sasha Cohen. Hannah Kearny comes and stays at her house. She even dog sits for her. As I said, mind boggling. (The Crowne Plaza is also very nice, by the way.)

Olympic facilities are everywhere. You can ski the Olympic Downhill, take the Olympic bobsled ride (which I did, without throwing up OR screaming. Go here), see the HUGE Olympic ski jumps (holy height anxiety), cross country ski where the Olympians do. It’s incredible and humbling –- all at the same time -- that mere mortals can play where Olympians play.

Here’s a picture of the ski jump, by the way, which does not do it justice. I skied with a young woman who was an ex-ski jumper. She seemed to think it was nothing out of the ordinary. Can you imagine??

5356062060_2d630acb1e.jpg

My trip started with check in at the Mirror Lake Inn. Let me say at the outset, this is not your Econo Lodge. And though they do offer some incredible specials from time to time, it’s not for the budget minded. It’s first class, all the way. The Inn is located on the shore of Mirror Lake, and it’s absolutely beautiful:

5356060556_edc6f7bf50.jpg

Here are some pix of the inside, though you’ll find much better ones at the Inn’s website:

5356059640_cf28fe3a3d.jpg

5356060216_648aa49c06.jpg

If you’re looking for a special place in a gorgeous setting, this is it. Conde Nast named it one of the best places to ski and stay in North America (it was #12), and I’m not surprised. The service is stellar. The staff is attentive, friendly, and willing to do anything to make your stay as pleasant as possible. There are home-made chocolate chip cookies at the front desk, all day long. A four diamond restaurant with terrific food. A great bar and a pub across the street. Ice skating. A fantastic spa, where I had the most amazing facial and chilled out (or heated up) in a eucalyptus steam bath. Amazing rooms, with a few extra-spectacular ones in a couple free-standing buildings across the street, directly on the lake shore (yes, we were given a tour). I could see this as being a great destination, whatever the season. Seriously, this is one of the best places I’ve ever stayed. I know I sound like I'm gushing, but really, it's that good. HIGHLY recommend. I will be back, next time with my husband in tow.

So, now for the activities.

1) Skiing. At Whiteface. For years I’ve heard Whiteface dissed as Iceface. Which is one of the reasons I never wanted to go there. To that I now respond: they had the Olympics here for a reason. Twice. So don’t sell it short.

As for “Iceface:” if that referred to conditions, well, this is the East. Like it or not, you’re going to get ice…..er, I mean hardpack. But there have been tremendous advances in snowmaking and grooming, so let’s give it up already. If “Iceface” refers to cold, well, yes, you’ll find that, too. Again, this is the Northeast. You either get used to skiing in the cold, or you stay home and wait for summer. That’s just how it is. That’s why God invented things like down and boot heaters. And there is a Gondola, which definitely helps.

To be honest, I think I probably hit the three best days of the year, weatherwise. The first day it was sunny and clear, not cold, and no wind. No one could believe how fantastic it was. From the summit, you could see all the way to Mount Mansfield in Vermont (that’s where Stowe is), a distance of I’d guess about 80 miles. The second day it snowed like crazy all day: 20 inches of fresh powder. And the third, well, we reaped the benefits of Day #2.

Here are some of the views from the top:

5356060856_17bb6da77f.jpg

5356381277_6951ceea61.jpg

The skiing was positively awesome. Yes, I skied the Olympic Downhill, singing the Olympic theme song while imagining a cheering crowd and a gold medal waiting at the bottom. But I skied lots of other trails, too. There’s enough variety to keep you interested, and tons of fun.

The only downside I can think of is that some of the lifts are kind of slow. But there is the gondola that I mentioned, which gets you to the top in a hurry. And the runs are nice and long, so that sort of makes up to it.

The bottom line: this is one big mother of an Eastern mountain. Whiteface boasts the East’s greatest vertical drop (3,430'). There’s a tremendous amount of great skiing here. You will have a blast.

2) The Olympic Bobsled.

5355445143_d8458c9b95.jpg

To be honest, I was a little nervous about this. I’m not a roller coaster person. But the bobsled action is more side to side than up and down, and before I got on I kept telling myself not to be scared. So I wasn’t.

I’m glad I didn’t chicken out. It was an absolute blast.

You don a helmet and squish in with two of your all of a sudden best friends, along with a guy in the front, who steers, and a brakeman who pushes you off and then hops on. People said it’d be over in a flash, and though it wasn’t quite like that, it was pretty quick, though you do have time to experience some amazing G-forces. Plus at the end they give you a T-shirt, a pin, and a picture of yourself, looking positively exuberant after your ride. How can you beat that?

3) SPA!!!!! I’ve already talked about the Spa at the Mirror Lake Inn. To be honest, at first I wasn’t too keen on taking time away from skiing to do this. My husband had some advice, “Pretend you’re someone else. Someone less obsessed with skiing.” I think he meant enjoy what you’re doing, when you’re doing it, even if it’s not skiing.

He was right.

Consider me a convert. It was wonderful. So relaxing and great for your skin. You could feel the toxins and anxiety slipping away. After five minutes I was sure I must look five years younger. Why haven’t I been doing this all along? I could definitely get used to having facials on a regular basis. Why not. And the spa there is lovely. If you go, you have to give it a try.

4) Cross Country Skiing. Again, something I didn’t think I’d like. I mean, you’re on skis and you’re not going downhill? Give me a break. Consider me wrong about this, too (hey, at least I admit it!). There are miles and miles of cross country ski trails in Lake Placid. You could ski yourself silly. We had a wonderful guide at Mount Van Hoevenberg, which is part of the Olympic Sports Complex (I think this is where our member Vanhoskier gets her name), who gave us excellent instruction and took us through miles and miles of winding, wooded trails. The snow was falling, the woods were beautiful. Ahhhhhhh. Another thing I could get used to.

So there you have it. A trip that was absolutely stellar. If the intent of the Olympic Regional Development Authority was to get me excited about Lake Placid and all its wonderful activities, consider it done. There is so much to do that I missed: dog sled rides on the ice, toboggan rides, ice skating (at the Olympic oval!). I think I’ll have to go back.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
:thumbsup:
Nice pics and TR! Mirror Lake Inn....wow. Incredible place.
I've only been to LP in summer and fall, accompanying my son to the ramp-to-pool training. (parking lot for same seen WAY below :eek:)(although I have fought and beat my fear of heights, yay)

Here is a shot from the top of the 150m nordic ski jump - we actually saw training from the 90m jump last summer, onto grass ramps.

ry%3D400

the landing ramp (DH and I discussed whether or not we could even ski this!):
ry%3D400

Jenny

Angel Diva
Wow -what an experience, Ski Diva! A former coworker's brother-in-law lives and works there - has something to do with the Olympic-related stuff - so we've been meaning to get out there "some day". Maybe someday needs to move up on the list.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nice TR and beautiful photos! I love Lake Placid in all seasons. I live less than 2 hours away, and sometimes we take a drive up there just for a day trip - for kayaking, hiking, leaf peeping, or just for dinner.

My favorite place is The Cottage at Mirror Lake Inn. It's a cozy little casual restaurant with a 3 season deck overlooking Mirror Lake. Excellent sandwiches and soups! Wonderful baked brie. Fantastic service.

The most amazing thing to remember is that the Olympics were held there! When I consider the media circus surrounding the Olympics, I am in awe that the little town of Lake Placid could have handled the number of people involved. Of course, the Olympics were not as 'big' back then, but still, that is a lot of people to descend on a little town.

By the way, my 92 year old Mom took the dogsled trip around Mirror Lake 5 years ago. She loved it.

MSL nailed it with her photos of the ski jump. The courage it must take to jump for the first time! I've been to the Jumping Complex in summer to watch the training. Skinny little kids, Olympic hopefuls, in size XS jumping suits that are still too big, flying into space with giant skis on their feet. Awesome.

And shhhh about Whiteface. It's our little secret. Gore and Whiteface are on the same season pass. :bounce:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
My favorite place is The Cottage at Mirror Lake Inn. It's a cozy little casual restaurant with a 3 season deck overlooking Mirror Lake. Excellent sandwiches and soups! Wonderful baked brie. Fantastic service.

Had lunch at The Cottage. That's the pub I referred to in my post. Great chili, too!

I imagine it'd be a great place to sit in the summer.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The deck at The Cottage is wonderful in Fall, too. They have a fireplace on the deck and some tall propane space heaters. It's so relaxing to watch the kayakers go by. Hear the call of a loon. And we sat there long enough to watch the full moon come up over the mountains and reflect on the water. Kodak moment, for sure.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm jeeeeaaaaalllllooooouuuussss, Wendy!
Seriously--i'm very happy you gave all of us vicarious pleasure!
Have a blast at Diva Week!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Lake Placid is one of my very favorite places to visit and ski. Whiteface is a lot of fun. Many, many times I've skied there, we've had fresh powder, due to the abundance of lake effect snow that falls in the area. I've never been bothered by the slower lifts there, because the scenery is so gorgeous.

The cross country skiing is stellar, as well.

Every trip I've taken there has been magical. And, it's easy to get to as well.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can attest to the blueness of the sky at Whiteface. I got to admire it for a while as I slid down a trail ... head first ... on my back!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like a fun trip! Thanks for the pics. I learned to ski at Whiteface while going to school just south of Lake Placid . . . ages ago. Haven't been in the winter for quite a while but love time in the Adirondacks any season.

zoomchick

Certified Ski Diva
Your post reminded me of the time I spent there. I used to live in NYC and my DH and I were a camera crew for CBS news. They did a few stories up there with Olympic figure skaters and one with Picabo Street.

I loved the inn and the mountain was a hoot. It was bitter cold on the slopes but thankfully so b/c they were deserted and I pretty much screamed down the GS run.

Thanks for the memory jog!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have enjoyed the Olympic Park in Utah, and all the venues, for the exact same reasons. So glad you had a wonderful time! Isn't it amazing to ski Olympic trails? I've done Soldier Hollow for XC, now my goal is to work up to Wildflower at Snowbasin. I've done the bottom fourth of the womens' downhill run, now I need to keep working it up the hill.

We also enjoyed being in Park City last year for the first day of the 2010 Winter Olympics - the whole town was so excited. I think the US women won gold that night which really got the place pumped!

That hotel looks like the most incredible place - thanks for the photos! Nice eye candy!

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I absolutely love Lake Placid. Last winter we went and it was really cool to go cross country skiing (we skied the course that went path the biathlon shooting range!!) and ice skate on the ice rink in town that the speed skating was held on.

This summer a few friends did the Ironman Lake Placid, and we got to visit in the summer and do some climbing. It's so beautiful up there, and on Ironman weekend it is insane off the hook! The whole middle of the Olympic Oval is a huge transition area and to finish the race you have to run a lap around it!

marta

Angel Diva
DSC03203-sml.jpg

You mean blue skies like this? I love the perma-crust on the trees!

The quad to the summmit sets you out on a thin pointy little cat track ridge. Kinda similar to Jay peak's tram station. Unlimited views of forever wild land can be seen from every standpoint. I got over fears of steeps at Whiteface.

We love the olympicness, they label the trails what's what, and even have the downhill winners' times still posted on a board in the lodge. Seems like there is much more olympic sense here and in town, than I recall at Squaw? How does it compare in olympic vibe to Deer Valley? Can you get a similar "Passport" at Squaw and Deer Valley to access the olympic x-country routes, ice skating, ski jump facility, and bobsledding?

Wendy -did you stop at High Falls Gorge? For anyone that drives by this little roadside place on their way from Lake Placid to Whiteface is in for a big surprise, the waterfalls are absolutely breathtaking in the wintertime. They gave us cleats for our boots and hot cocoa too.

Also, Who's done the toboggan chute in town? Crazy fun!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I've done High Falls Gorge, but only in summer and fall - I imagine it's breathtaking in winter! This past LP trip (my son trains there), we did AuSable Chasm, south of Plattsburgh - wow. Absolutely worth a side trip. Have seen the "chute" on Mirror Lake and wondered if it was cool in winter. Overall, a truly fun and interesting region, in all seasons. Especially for DH and I, as we well remember the 1980 Winter Olympic games held there ("Miracle on Ice," Eric Heiden 5 speed skating gold medals, etc :smile:).

marta

Angel Diva
We are actually considering the greater Lake placid area for "someday" move.. If you ever get the chance to do these things in winter it's well worth it. The old toboggan run is a hoot (cushion recommended) and it goes way far out onto the ice. Open only on Tuesday nights or something like that I recall.

Ausable Chasm is a treat. Wonder what that's like in winter?

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Wendy my profile picture should look familar to you! It was taken in Lake placid a few years ago!:thumbsup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga