• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Kids ski length

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know how to buy adult skis, but not kids skis. Last season we did a seasonal rental but they are out of business now. There are a lot of sales/swaps going on this weekend so if I can buy DS skis/boots for cheap and even sell them next year I am ok with it. So, given that we are heading to ski sales/swaps I'm not thinking we will have a lot of individual customer service. I know the general rule for adult ski length but know the same rules don't apply for kids. Last year his skis came up to the higher part of his chest.

Current stats: He is turning 5 in a few weeks and is about 44in and 48lbs. Last year he was skiing blue runs at both our home mountain and Whistler. He also, with instructors, loved skiing in trees :eek: and was just starting to ski in the bumps :jealous: . His wedge was just about gone but his instructor said he was also limited physically by only being 4yo. We only skied together a few times because he liked to complain around mom and dad but did fine with instructors...typical! So, my question is, do we shoot for chest level, chin level, or higher (which I'm not inclined to do). I don't want to impede his progress by getting something too long but I don't want to hold him back.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm thinking chin. Kids skis are hard as they don't jump the same heights as adult. So you may have to go to the 100cm as 95 might not be available.

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My twin girls will be 6 this winter, and we just measured them the other day and they are now 3ft. 11.5in (47.5in) tall, and roughly 47-50lbs. the skiis they used last year are 100cm's. I am *hoping* to get another year out of those, but I feeling that I won't! :(

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My experience as an instructor leads me to recommend that kids in the younger age range (3-6 y.o.s) should err on the side of shorter, just because that seems to help with stance.

Seems like a lot of parents spend time holding their kids up (from front or back) and consequently the kids don't stand over the middle of their boots enough, leaning forward or back. Or, worse, the kid spends time on one of those leash-contraptions, and then they really lean back too much. Also, some kids just naturally lean back or forward too much. Since stance is the foundation of any good skiing technique, and a habit that's often developed early, it's really important to encourage good balance over the center of the boot/binding at an early age.

Solution? Just like putting someone who is permanently in the backseat on snowskates (forcing them to stay balanced over the middle of the ski through the turn, by removing that back part of the ski that they are using to over-compensate with), keep the out-of-whack kiddlets on somethin' shorter that won't encourage a backward- or forward-leaning handicap and reinforce a habit that will get harder and harder to break as the years go on.

Plus a shorter length breeds more confidence.

Of course, if your kid is perfect, or once you KNOW your kid is great on the balance thing (aka you watch them ski, and they can link parallels over the middle of their ski, land little jumps/lips with their hands still in front, and their upper body over their boots, etc.), then move up with their weight (remember, skis don't know how tall you are, just how much you weigh.)

If mini-PNW is a porker, put him/her on longer ones, and if he/she's a shrimp, go shorter.

Of course, shooting for somewhere between the chin and the forehead is a good measure for a kid of average proportions and good stance. Kids' skis have loads of sidecut, after all.

You could always buy some shorter skis from REI and then exchange them mid-season for the next size up as your kid improves (shameless strategy, I know!)

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Err on shorter -- I'd go with mid-sternum on any kid under 12, unless she is an all-mountain parallel skier who craves speed.

PNWSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks everyone. When we actually started looking at sizes on him, 100 was too long but anything in the 90's seemed right. Still have not found the right pair. We found a pair of K2s but they were ridiculously heavy...I swear my skis are lighter.

Suzanneski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to chin level with my 2 year old- but prob won;t be so long in a few more months- they grow so fast!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I rented my kids' skis a few weeks ago, and the guys at the shop said chest to chin is the range you should be looking in. Within that, it probably depends on all the usual stuff (weight, skill, etc)...

They gave my 8 yo DS 100's and he's just about 4 ft and about 45 lb. He can do easy blues...

Hope this helps!

braveskimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The quick and dirty answer is that the skis should reach between a child's chin and eyes. However, a more timid skier or more inexperienced skier should probably ski on a shorter ski. According to my ski shop guru, ski length is overrated. If you are renting shaped skis for your child, they will have a great day even if the ski is a bit short.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga