• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

K2 Tough Luv's

marta

Angel Diva
Dimensions: 124/88/111
Sizes: 146, 153, 160, 167
Performance: 70% ungroomed/30% groomed
Radius: 16m @160
Construction: Metal Laminate
Core: Bioflex Fir/Spruce
Binding: K2/Marker M1 11.0 TC

I skied these skis for two days at Jackson Hole. Despite the recommendations of other skis over these, I chose them b/c I'm short and lightweight (4'11", 105#) and they're one of very few mid-fat to fats that come in my size (I rented the 146). Conditions ranged from boot deep powder, to chopped powder, soft bumps, trees, and groomed. The powder was extremely light, dry and fluffy.

I found them pretty interesting. My general impression is that they felt like they were the big fat sister of my Burnin Luvs. When I had them on the groomers they held an edge that felt very similar to the Burnin's, just w/a longer turn radius. Probably similar in stiffness as well. In powder, I can't make a true assessment, as this was my first foray into powder in over 6 years, and first time ever using fatter skis. There was a lot of pilot error going on as I got used to skiing powder. I think they seemed to float well, but I was busy concentrating on how I was doing, not necessarily how the skis were doing.:ski3:

They did well in soft moguls, and I had them in some pretty tight trees. Great in crud, I was able to arc huge turns and just plow my way thru the chop as if on waterskis. Fun to ski on and off the trails, I found myself skiing the fringes of trails searching for more soft snow to blast through. An "all over the place sort of ski" seems to describe this ski well.

My only gripe is that I found them slightly heavy the first day, but the 2nd day they felt much better. However in comparison, my Burnin Luv's are ultralight (I bought the Burnin's flat without the marker bindings and put on Salomon Z10ti's, they're a good 4lbs lighter than they would've been with the Marker setup). But once I bonded with this ski, they felt fine. It's too bad this ski doesn't come w/o bindings. You only can get them with the system setup.

Certainly they're worth checking out. They could be a good everyday ski out west, or a quiver add-on in the East, because overall they were pretty versatile. I'm curious how they compare to other stiffer skis in the mid-fat category.

p.s. Hey pretty cool! When you switch skis to either foot, the pattern still lines up...

Jana

Diva in Training
Hi Marta. I am seriously considering the K2 Tough Love ski in the 170 length. I am an intermediate skier, not on the advanced side yet. I'm 5'11 tall and weigh 190 but in overall good shape, 8 kids in 20 years can put a little weight on you. My husband and I live in the Northern Arizona back country, 2 1/2 miles downhill to paved roads. We want to ski on the hill behind our property and cross the breath taking flats to other hills in the area this winter. All I have skied so far are groomed intermediate runs and I am pretty comfortable on those. Is this a good ski for the back country kind of skiing that Im discribing around our place? Steepest grade is about 25-35 degrees and the highest hill we will have go hike is about 500' in rise over 3/4 mile according to the gps. After a storm goes through and a few days passes the snow here gets really icy and crusty but is very easy to break through, early through mid season. Gets soft late season by afternoon, sometimes mid day. They don't plow the dirt roads around here so we can ski them once they become snow covered. Thank you for your advice.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
If you are going to do any hiking with your skis, I'd get something a little lighter....maybe a K2 She's Back or Payback. I think I'd want something a little wider than the Tough Luv for the conditions you describe.

marta

Angel Diva
Hi Jana - I found these skis a bit heavy. You might find them cumbersome for what you plan on doing. They would be good for busting thru the crusty stuff, and should be ok for an intermediate skiier, but they were very heavy. I don't think you'd like crossing the flats on them. Wow 8 kids! :clap:

Jana

Diva in Training
Thank you for your advise

Thanks Marta. I'm going to go with something light and softer and see how that works. The Voodoo CS80's in a 175mm sound nice, light and probably more my speed for now. I'm hoping they make a good learning tool. Some of the girls said they were a little soft but that actually appeals to me, probably not forever, just until I develop more skill. I appreciate your response. Also the Voodoo's were just $199.00 with the bindings, (new) including shipping. If I don't like them I can pass them on to my oldest daughter who is 17, 5'10 and a 135 pounds. She will be skiing this winter for the first time. She got on skis last season for about a half day, last day of the season and liked it.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
8 kids in 20 years

I'm thinking that after 8 kids, I'd be drawn to something called "Tough Luv" too ... or maybe one called "Peace & Quiet"!

This almost sounds like a whole new thread ... ski names for different situations in life.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna