• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Just ordered K2 PE; the binding dilemma

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ok so I just picked up a pair of PE's from Backcountry.com for a decent price ($225). I was originally thinking Salomon z10 bindings from REI, but fear they may not be "enough" for trees and bumps. My intended use for the ski (live in the northeast) is 3-4 inches of powder or crud, some bumps and packed powder/powder in the trees. It won't be my primary go to ski on groomers.
I'm 5'5" 130 lbs and fairly agressive, level 7 on a good day : ). I have also considered the Marker m11 or 12 free, but have heard of release issues on the 11 in particular.
Grrr..I'm not set on a dedicated park binding, but need something to accomodate the 85 waist that won't drag on the groomers en-route to the trees. Preferably $150 or less (not including shipping). Any suggestions are welcome and very appreciated!:ski2:

Thanks,
veggielasagna

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
If you can swing the extra cash - go with the Marker Jesters. What is your DIN set at usually? They start at 6.

I love these bindings. They are super light-weight. Categorized as a "big mountain freeride/park" binding.

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
If you can swing the extra cash - go with the Marker Jesters. What is your DIN set at usually? They start at 6.

I love these bindings. They are super light-weight. Categorized as a "big mountain freeride/park" binding.
I have been considering the Jesters for my new Auras. A shop tech told me that Marker bindings have a larger degree of lateral movement before they release, therefore not good for anyone with knee issues.

Do you know if this is true? I have a past knee injury that I don't want to aggravate, but I love the other qualities of the binding.

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
That sounds a little foolish to me & perhaps shop mumbo-jumbo. I don't know if it has any vailidity to it...

You could always contact Marker directly. I've dealt with them a handful of times & they're quite pleasant to deal with.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Veggielasagna-

I have Salomon Z10's on my twintips and they are great - light weight and strong. I have skied crud and ice (living in the NE too), bumps, steeps, jumps, rails.....never a problem. I love them, and would put them on another pair of twintips.

Let me know what you think of the PE's. I'm interested in them too.

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
Ok so I just picked up a pair of PE's from Backcountry.com for a decent price ($225). I was originally thinking Salomon z10 bindings from REI, but fear they may not be "enough" for trees and bumps. My intended use for the ski (live in the northeast) is 3-4 inches of powder or crud, some bumps and packed powder/powder in the trees. It won't be my primary go to ski on groomers.
I'm 5'5" 130 lbs and fairly agressive, level 7 on a good day : ). I have also considered the Marker m11 or 12 free, but have heard of release issues on the 11 in particular.
Grrr..I'm not set on a dedicated park binding, but need something to accomodate the 85 waist that won't drag on the groomers en-route to the trees. Preferably $150 or less (not including shipping). Any suggestions are welcome and very appreciated!:ski2:

Thanks,
veggielasagna
The same shop tech told me that the Salomon Z10 and z12 have also had release issues and are the bindings that come back for warranty repairs most often.

BUT they are soooo light, which is great for these heavy, fat skis.

So, I am having the same binding dilemmas!

I keep hearing LOOK/Dynastar/Rossignol. Now to decide lift vs. jib...I'll let you know if I ever make a decision! GOOD LUCK with yours!

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
Veggielasagna-

I have Salomon Z10's on my twintips and they are great - light weight and strong. I have skied crud and ice (living in the NE too), bumps, steeps, jumps, rails.....never a problem. I love them, and would put them on another pair of twintips.

Let me know what you think of the PE's. I'm interested in them too.
This is GOOD to know! I think I need to start going to a different shop!

Maybe they just want me to want what they have in stock (that would be sad).:confused:

But, that's why I'm here! I trust you ladies more than him!:smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
T
I keep hearing LOOK/Dynastar/Rossignol. Now to decide lift vs. jib...I'll let you know if I ever make a decision! GOOD LUCK with yours!
Maybe you heard it from me..:laugh: Have been on nothing else for the last 7 seasons, except when switching w/friends or demo. And then can't wait to get back in the Looks. Have had every incarnation of the P series (except heavy-duty heavyweight spring), NX, and now PX. First rate. Recommend.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
My Z10's have never released at a bad time, only when they're supposed to....in major tumbles. Otherwise, they stay on and I just get up and go again. Yeah, go and get another opinion from another shop and see what they say.

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
My Z10's have never released at a bad time, only when they're supposed to....in major tumbles. Otherwise, they stay on and I just get up and go again. Yeah, go and get another opinion from another shop and see what they say.
My gut was already saying to go somewhere else...always listen to your gut!!

I have Z10s on 2 pair of skis (Solomon Mynx and Scarlets) and they have only released once, when they had to (I fell in the bumps). Love those bindings. Put a similar binding on my new Auras (made by Tyrolia for Head, LD12s I think) and will test them out on Saturday. They're more of a jib binding too, which I like.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awesome. I did a search before asking of course, but sometimes that raises more doubts. The consensus here is the z10's. I guess I shouldn't have searched over at Epic...that's when I started second guessing the 10's...you know they can get a bit heated over there : ) Thank you all, I'm going to look around a bit more, but will likely go with the Salomon's because of the value/quality ratio.
Thank you all!

-veggielasagna

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have been considering the Jesters for my new Auras. A shop tech told me that Marker bindings have a larger degree of lateral movement before they release, therefore not good for anyone with knee issues.

Do you know if this is true? I have a past knee injury that I don't want to aggravate, but I love the other qualities of the binding.
While that may be true with some Marker bindings, not so with the Jesters or Dukes.

I have a new pair of fat skis coming, and I plan on putting Jesters on them because they have a wider mounting point than the typical binding and that will lend to performance and integrity.

CO-girl

Certified Ski Diva
This binding stuff has been so much more difficult that choosing the ski, at least those I could demo!

Thanks for all the input though, it has been super helpful.

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For what it's worth, my husband, who'll ski anything well, bought the PEs last year and chose the Marker M11 bindings. They have not prematurely released on him yet.
BTW he's crazy about the skis. Just don't freak out if the top sheet starts to get pretty banged up almost right away. Apparently they all do that.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool, thank you Cyn. I demoed them in 164 with 4-6 inches of heavy crud. They were a bit long for me so I went with the 159. I can get the Markers $25 cheaper than the Salomons even..tempting..

-veggielasagna

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forgot to mention that I have those Markers on my Head Monster iM82s and they've never surprised me. I think that unless you're going to be hucking cliffs and doing some really serious high impact stuff, you should be just fine with the Markers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga