• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Junior race skis/boots?

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here comes winter. Woo hoo!!!

My daughter is participating in an Advanced Skiing & Racing program this winter, 10 weekends, Sat and Sun, 4 hrs a day. She is an advanced skier, fast, under control, pretty good technique. Always room to improve. :smile: I want to buy her new boots and skis.

I need your expertise please please please.
Daughter is 13 yrs old, 5'2", 102 lbs
She has normal width feet, shoe size 8.5-9 (her long big toe is the reason why she needs larger shoes)
Her body and feet seem to be done growing, maybe a little left

Would I be wrong to buy junior racing skis? Multi event vs GS or SL? What length? I don't want the most high end, no more than $300 for skis. Or a better junior or adult ski? Core material? Anything about radius I should know?

We will go to the boot fitter (Buckman's) for the boot, but I don't want to go completely ignorant. Race or not? Flex? Junior or adult?

I am willing to give her my skis, Stockli Laser CX 149 https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/laser-cx . They were great in Switzerland but in PA they annoy me because I get down the hill so fast I might as well be in front of the fireplace with a beer. They have no speed limit. I'm going back to my Dynastars this winter so the ride up the chair is worth my time. Not sure if she is heavy or strong enough to ski them, they do need to be bossed around.

She outgrew everything from last year so it is a good time to buy her new equipment. Ladies, I always value your advice. Thank you so much, in advance!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here comes winter. Woo hoo!!!

My daughter is participating in an Advanced Skiing & Racing program this winter, 10 weekends, Sat and Sun, 4 hrs a day. She is an advanced skier, fast, under control, pretty good technique. Always room to improve. :smile: I want to buy her new boots and skis.

I need your expertise please please please.
Daughter is 13 yrs old, 5'2", 102 lbs
She has normal width feet, shoe size 8.5-9 (her long big toe is the reason why she needs larger shoes)
Her body and feet seem to be done growing, maybe a little left

Would I be wrong to buy junior racing skis? Multi event vs GS or SL? What length? I don't want the most high end, no more than $300 for skis. Or a better junior or adult ski? Core material? Anything about radius I should know?

We will go to the boot fitter (Buckman's) for the boot, but I don't want to go completely ignorant. Race or not? Flex? Junior or adult?

I am willing to give her my skis, Stockli Laser CX 149 https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/laser-cx . They were great in Switzerland but in PA they annoy me because I get down the hill so fast I might as well be in front of the fireplace with a beer. They have no speed limit. I'm going back to my Dynastars this winter so the ride up the chair is worth my time. Not sure if she is heavy or strong enough to ski them, they do need to be bossed around.

She outgrew everything from last year so it is a good time to buy her new equipment. Ladies, I always value your advice. Thank you so much, in advance!

I'm not sure Buckman's can be considered a Bootfitter (do they do boot punches?) and unless you have recommendations from other skiers in the race program I would hesitate. Especially since if her foot has just an isolated long big toe she might benefit from a smaller boot that has the toe area punched out.

I dropped down about a size and a half and had both the big toe area of the boot and the liner punched out. Now, the fit is heavenly since it's just my big toe that's freakishly long (one of my ex-boyfriends looked at my index finger and started chanting ET phone home) it means overall my boots fit much better.

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Buckman's does custom boot fitting. I haven't called for an appointment yet. I did ask for a fitter recommendation from the program coordinator, waiting for the answer.

Thanks for the tip on the big toe area. I thought there might be something they could do to customize that area so the rest of her toes weren't swimming around in the boot.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know Buckman's does custom boot fitting. I haven't called for an appointment yet. I did ask for a fitter recommendation from the program coordinator, waiting for the answer.

Thanks for the tip on the big toe area. I thought there might be something they could do to customize that area so the rest of her toes weren't swimming around in the boot.

I'd be a bit wary of Buckman's based on my personal experiences. I think it's really hit and miss based on who you get there. My personal recommendation is take her up to see Dieter at Alpina Ski Shop near Jack Frost. That's where we go and he's fabulous. https://www.940boards.com/

patoswiss

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wanted to update for anyone asking the same questions I am :smile:

We went to Alpina and got her set up.

Boots are Head Raptor 80 RS Junior. Tight but not overwhelming, he says they are slightly big, just in case her feet grow another mm or two. She used them for the first time last week and they aren't warm.... Very cold toes. But we worked on her sock setup, got some liners, I think she will be ok. She refuses to wear my neoprene Boot Gloves. Teenagers :smile: The jury is out on comfort, I'm giving her a few more days. He put Sidas footbeds in them... They were comfy when she wore them in the shop....

Skis are 2017 Volkl Yumi 147. He and I went back and forth on the skis. And then back and forth again. Since she isn't in an official race program, and we usually spend a week in Europe, and they will be her only pair, and she likes to ski everything, he convinced me to get the Yumis. If she really likes doing this, and we end up in another program next year then she will have to get new skis for that anyway.

She skied them once this week. Says they feel similar to the Volkl RTM 140 she skied last year. Responsive.

Thanks for your suggestions Divas!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna