• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

July's done!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Not that we're all sitting around twiddling our thumbs waiting for ski season to begin, but I thought it worth noting that after today, July is officially over!

The summer is moving along, ladies, and for me, that leaves 3-1/2 months (hopefully) before ski season revs up again. Until then, I'm keeping busy with biking, swimming, and the stuff o'life (my daughter's wedding is in 2 weeks! :eek:).

July's been nice, but a bit rainy; we've had more than triple the amount of rainfall we usually get here in VT. Not too hot, either, which is nice, considering the heat a lot of the country is enduring.

Anyway, just thought I'd say "Bye-Bye, July!"

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
the stuff o'life (my daughter's wedding is in 2 weeks! :eek:).
Two weeks!!! Now that's some "stuff o'life!" Any chance you might share a bit of it w/us in DOD (ah, we all love a wedding :smile:)??

Indeed, yes, rainy in NNE....This is definitely a two-edged sword: more rain means less water rationing in my household (an initially difficult concept for a formerly forever-urban girl!)---but also means more streams moving out there, and a 3rd hatch of black flies----which effectively lengthens my inside confinement :mad: I miss being outside!!

Kind of hoping for a drier, sunnier and cheerier August....

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
MSL, I pity you and the black flies you have there. We haven't had it bad here -- they were out per usual, between Mother's Day and Father's Day, and that's really it. I can understand how frustrating that must be!

As for the wedding, I'm sure it'll show up in DOD eventually. One thing's for sure -- it'll make for an interesting August! :eyebrows:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
It's a latitude thing, I've learned. The farther north, the longer the season. Just 40 miles north of here, it's just about all summer :( -- also dependent on the number of fast-moving streams (obviously, a ton during snow melt), precip, water levels therein. So the "average" BF season here would be 2nd week of May until around 4th of July. Not this year....emergence was right on time (I could set a stopwatch), but the streams keep filling and moving, enabling another hatch (they get progressively "weaker," thank goodness). And one runs RIGHT THROUGH my next door neighbor's front yard. I could barely get any closer to the hatch source...

And here comes the rain again -- big front moving in (orange -meaning heavy rain), so I have to get the heck off the computer and shut er down. Lightning and computers are not a good combination....:rolleyes:

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm definitely the "wintertype" but it's okay to have summer. But as the rest of you I'm really looking forward to the first snowfall. Of course because of skiing, buuut also because of wearing hats, scarfs and gloves :brr:, drinking (is it?) mulled wine and just feel the cold in the face.
July was okay, not so hot as last year, pretty rainy, but I like it. Hopefully August will be quite the same. Especially when I have to work (saved all my holliday for the winter).

If we're lucky here in the Alps the Dachstein will reopen in the middle of September! :dance:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
about that rain we've had....

can you imagine if we get that much precip this coming winter?? Wahoo!

:becky:

Kiragirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
kind of related..... I tasted a yummy beer the other day, but it was a chocolately dark ale, and it made me think of drinking that style in the fall, with a grilled bratwurst, in the cool air wearing a sweater while watching the beautiful red and yellow leaves falling.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh, we will have our 19th straight day of 90 degree plus heat today. And it's supposed to be in the 100s starting tomorrow. It certainly isn't as bad as if I were in humidity but I'd love a cool off for sure. I was watching a movie last night that had snow in it and was definitely longing for some of that here. This heat is taking it's toll on my training schedule. It's hard to plan rides that have stops where I can get water but are long enough for me to get in the miles that I need. In fact, Saturday I'm planning to do 50 miles or so and will need to bring my bike lock just so I can go into some places for refills and such. I hate carrying the extra weight but in this heat it's essential.

For me it's 2.5 months away! :D

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, I don't know about you and the other Denverites out there, but I've had it with the 90plus degree days. If it weren't for the tri this weekend, I'd head to the hills!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn, I don't know about you and the other Denverites out there, but I've had it with the 90plus degree days. If it weren't for the tri this weekend, I'd head to the hills!

Amen ... and you NE divas, send some of that rain our way!!

Jilly

Staff member
We've been lucky this summer with the heat waves. Can't say as we've had any. Too much rain. And like MSL we can't seem to get out on the water as much as I'd like on weekends, because its raining! But no forest fire warnings. The local campgrounds and trailer parks are complaining about the weather too. I have noticed this past week that the mountain ash trees are loaded with berries. Doesn't that mean a good snow winter??

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Amen ... and you NE divas, send some of that rain our way!!
Yeah, our CEO emailed me this morning as he is visiting our Oxford UK office. I emailed him back asking to him to bring some rain with him. Although preferably not for the James Taylor concert next week.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm way over the heat, too. I love summer. Love hiking, biking, running, going to the pool, but this heat is just getting ridiculous! Just a few days in the 80's even would be wonderful!

I went for a 30 mile bike ride this morning with DS in the trailer and didn't get as early a start as I had hoped. We didn't get home until after 1, and my bike computer was giving me a temperature reading of 108 :eek: with the heat radiating off the pavement! Oh, and did I mention that the previously mentioned 2 year old was NOT happy and the only thing keeping him from screaming his head off was him having possession of my water bottle? THAT was fun...:rolleyes:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm way over the heat, too. I love summer. Love hiking, biking, running, going to the pool, but this heat is just getting ridiculous! Just a few days in the 80's even would be wonderful!

I went for a 30 mile bike ride this morning with DS in the trailer and didn't get as early a start as I had hoped. We didn't get home until after 1, and my bike computer was giving me a temperature reading of 108 :eek: with the heat radiating off the pavement! Oh, and did I mention that the previously mentioned 2 year old was NOT happy and the only thing keeping him from screaming his head off was him having possession of my water bottle? THAT was fun...:rolleyes:

Yowza! Itri, that's dangerous. Both the heat and the lack of water bottle. Please bring 2 or 3 bottles at least next time. Please. :nono:

island girl

Certified Ski Diva
us too, way up here in on the East side of Vancouver Island, Canada. It is raining right now and it is our Canada Day Long Weekend. I guess a few canadians forgot to pay homage to the sun gods or something! It has been a much colder than normal July. All of us are whining! Too windy for the most part to even get out in our kayaks. I say good bye July and welcome August.
Island Girl

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yowza! Itri, that's dangerous. Both the heat and the lack of water bottle. Please bring 2 or 3 bottles at least next time. Please. :nono:

Oh, no worries. I had two on the bike and two spares. One of my bike bottles had gatorade in it, which was warm and gross by that time, and we had already downed the other two. It was only a few miles from home, and I forced myself to drink the warm gatorade as necessary. :cool:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, no worries. I had two on the bike and two spares. One of my bike bottles had gatorade in it, which was warm and gross by that time, and we had already downed the other two. It was only a few miles from home, and I forced myself to drink the warm gatorade as necessary. :cool:

Okay, I just know how brutal that heat is. It's hard to plan rides right now due to water bottle fill up needs.

Jilly

Staff member
Robyn maybe its time for a big camelback. Island girl, wasn't Canada Day July1. Civic holiday this weekend here in Ontario, BC the same? Monday's a holiday - yah!!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Robyn maybe its time for a big camelback. Island girl, wasn't Canada Day July1. Civic holiday this weekend here in Ontario, BC the same? Monday's a holiday - yah!!

I hate camelbaks on my road bike. Really awkward for me so I just make sure to plan. And have cash with me just in case that plan includes buying water at a gas station. :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga