• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Jackson vs Teton Village

sususkier

Certified Ski Diva
Jackson Hole fans -

I have an inquiry about lodging. Will be in Jackson Hole for four nights. The advantages of staying in Teton Village are clear, though it does seem somewhat limited for apres ski and dining.

Should I consider staying in Jackson for the true Wyoming/Jackson Hole experience? Do town lodging establishments run shuttles to the resort?

Appreciate any thoughts you may have on town vs slopeside.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The one time I went to JH we stayed in Jackson, and our hotel ran shuttles to the mountain that were super convenient -- it seems like many of the hotels in Jackson do this.

I've never stayed in Teton Village, but Jackson is a great little town and I'd stay there again next time I go. Good bars, good restaurants, good places to grab breakfast, all walking distance.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
...Appreciate any thoughts you may have on town vs slopeside.

I've been four times in winter, and stayed in Jackson once, Teton Village the other three times. We always make it into Jackson for dinner or something at least one evening, but I guess it depends if you have a car. There are shuttles, yes, and a bus, too.

I say, Go at least twice, and try out each location. :-) As you noted, there are pluses and minuses to both, which probably cancel each other out. It's a win-win situation. I obviously prefer staying right at the hill, but not by a huge margin.

abc

Banned
Yes, many hotels run their own shuttle. And there's also a town bus that runs very frequent. So getting to the mountain isn't difficult.

Plus, it's a bit less expensive to stay in Jackson.

That said, if money isn't a factor, I personally would choose Teton village. Rolling out of bed onto a lift without bothering with the bus has a strong advantages.

As for apres, there're plenty of watering holes in Teton village. And when it comes to dinner, it's just as easy to drive/bus down to Jackson, walk around, eat, walk around some more. Then take a bus or drive back.

Of the 2 times I was there, first time I stayed in Jackson, very near the town square, which was nice. But the morning bus thing is still a bit of a drag.

The second time I decided to be super-cheap and stay at a Super 8 outside of town! That worked out just as well after all. I drove into town for dinner and (window) shopping. So if you're staying at Teton village, that's what you'll be doing for evenings. (if you don't have a car, I'd advice checking out the bus schedule at night to be sure)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, many hotels run their own shuttle. And there's also a town bus that runs very frequent. So getting to the mountain isn't difficult.

Plus, it's a bit less expensive to stay in Jackson.

That said, if money isn't a factor, I personally would choose Teton village. Rolling out of bed onto a lift without bothering with the bus has a strong advantages.

As for apres, there're plenty of watering holes in Teton village. And when it comes to dinner, it's just as easy to drive/bus down to Jackson, walk around, eat, walk around some more. Then take a bus or drive back.

Of the 2 times I was there, first time I stayed in Jackson, very near the town square, which was nice. But the morning bus thing is still a bit of a drag. ...

Yeah, I guess it boils down to whether you prefer to drive to eat, or drive to ski. I prefer walking to ski, driving to eat (not that you can't eat very well for four nights in TV...). The less schlepping of gear, the better. I can go to dinner with nothing but a wallet ...

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I've only been once, but we stayed in Teton Village and loved it. We loved it even more after someone pointed out that our condo was ski-in and basically ski-out (with just a short walk to a lift), meaning we didn't have to make the short shuttle ride.

Admittedly, extensive night life wasn't high on our priority list, though we do love to eat and enjoyed some terrific meals. Took the bus into Jackson one evening and that was fun too.

But if I ever go again (and I'd sure love to), would definitely stay at the mountain.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Even when it comes to town being cheaper per night by hotel rates I always figure everything in before making a decision. Jackson in particular I prefer TV - the twangy west stuff in Jackson isn't my thing. Most places I ussually pay more to stay on the mountain and save money by eating lunch etc at the condo. I always hate spending the extra money up front but by the time all 3 of us eat lunch at the hill and dinner out it's another $100 so I find it saves money in the long run if you can eat in. We will go have a beer after skiing and ussually eat out one night. It's also nice if you have kids that can do their own thing. We just give ours a key and see her when we see her. It's nice to have everything right at hand for a few days -

ScottishSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Never been in winter, but have been twice in the autumn. First time, I stayed at a place in Jackson on the road out to the elk refuge. It was okay, clean, convenient for the national park and spacious enough, but you still had to drive into town for food.

Second time, stayed at Teton Village and absolutely loved it. Admittedly it was a much flashier hotel, but still really relaxed and pretty easy for getting into Jackson and along to the national park. Next time, it's a no brainer and we'll stay at Teton Village.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with the above posts. It is pretty fun to walk around town, while the village is quite small. In terms of restaurants there are plenty to choose from at the village as each hotel has at least one if not two or three.

The buses do leave from just about everywhere in town. Just make sure you truly are in town, within walking distance of town square or you will be disappointed as some hotels are on the south end of town with little within walking distance. Or at least not a very pleasant walk.

Feel free to send me a message if you have more questions.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I had an answer but I don't really. I have had some students stay there and return, but they are budget travelers who prefer to splurge on nice restaurants. That means that it might be ok, or might be only so so, but I do not know either way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna