• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

It feels like I forgot everything!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
On one hand, it sounds like you need time on skis, and a lesson is never a bad idea. I learned as an adult and it felt like 2 steps forward, one step back.

But sometimes, there are other things that can affect our skiing. Were conditions worse than 3 days ago? Were you on the same skis?

I once had an inexplicably awful day due to what turned out to be a bad ski tune. I have a very hard time flexing my boots, and thus pressuring my ski tips, in very cold weather. So that kind of thing happens.
I also had a really frustrating day after a bad tune. Just breathe and refocus on the beauty outside. One day at a time. I also tend to have a good day and go back to a few bumps, but ultimately get through it.

Christy

Angel Diva
I also had a really frustrating day after a bad tune. Just breathe and refocus on the beauty outside. One day at a time. I also tend to have a good day and go back to a few bumps, but ultimately get through it.

Agreed, and there are a number of ways to focus on the beauty outside!

1643395289619.png

(I wasn't actually having a bad ski day, but conditions were bad--boilerplate ice. A perfect excuse to enjoy the mountain in a different way).

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@berryblondeboys , as you have mentioned shin pain twice, I am wondering if your boots are a little big?

Shin bang can occur with this issue. Also make sure there are no detachable spoilers on your boot cuffs. Those are a REAL pain , and cause quad burn like nothing else!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
@berryblondeboys , as you have mentioned shin pain twice, I am wondering if your boots are a little big?

Shin bang can occur with this issue. Also make sure there are no detachable spoilers on your boot cuffs. Those are a REAL pain , and cause quad burn like nothing else!
In one of her other threads, OP mentioned shin bang d/t boot fit, and ended up getting new, fitted boots which no longer give her shin pain. :smile:

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Since I can't get on the slopes for a few days, I've been watching some videos to help me. I found this one to be spot on for me.

We are going skiing on Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to go the the bunny slope and drill and drill and drill. I think I was too eager to move on before I was ready. I "have" done it and I can do it, but it has to all come to me easily without fear.

I don't know if this video will be helpful to anyone else, but it was reaffirming for me.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
We went skiing today and it went well. I went down the bunny hill 3 times working on several skills and then I went to the slope that was just not happening a few days ago and I had no problem. I'm cautious, but it's all clicking.

Things I noticed: I was not completing my turns all the time because I was bailing in the "Oh crap" moment, but i think the big thing I was doing was that I was looking at my skiis and not really looking forward or on to what is next. As I have heard the instructors telling newbies, "don't be reptillian - don't look at your feet. They aren't going anywhere." (or something like that). I just need to trust in what I've commited to and follow through and that helps a lot.

So, practice, practice, practice it is!

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, fwiw, @berryblondeboys … I find that sometimes when I’m REALLY overthinking my skiing choices, I tense up and look down.

We all KNOW that’s not good, but I think it’s a little inevitable.

So: starting this year….When I have 2-3 turns in a row where I’m not feeling great? I pause, shake it off, and then focus all the way down the hill and finish the run FEELING good. Maybe not doing everything perfectly, but reminding myself emotionally why I am there.

Reset on the lift, and then try the technical stuff again with a clear head. The down the hill focus helps a LOT.

newboots

Angel Diva
Oh, the frustration of skiing!

I'm really impressed with the responses you've received from some of our instructors - so much wisdom! Skiing is so much more than a mechanical process!

I'm reading Mermer Blakeslee's book "A Conversation with Fear," and it has similar brilliance. There is so much to understand about how our brains, muscles, and senses interact, and so much to try to know about how our selves work with this new way of being on the earth, and facing scary precipices.

It's really late and I'm babbling, so I'll stop. Read the book! I got it through interlibrary loan.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
So, fwiw, @berryblondeboys … I find that sometimes when I’m REALLY overthinking my skiing choices, I tense up and look down.

We all KNOW that’s not good, but I think it’s a little inevitable.

So: starting this year….When I have 2-3 turns in a row where I’m not feeling great? I pause, shake it off, and then focus all the way down the hill and finish the run FEELING good. Maybe not doing everything perfectly, but reminding myself emotionally why I am there.

Reset on the lift, and then try the technical stuff again with a clear head. The down the hill focus helps a LOT.
It's funny you mention this precisely. On one of the runs yesterday, I was looking ahead the zig zag I wanted to make and I wanted to "hit" a certain curve and I overshot it. I at first was a little short with myself, thinking, "You don't know how to turn precisely where you want to turn. Maybe you need to go to the bunny slope to practice that more?" But I did turn and I did it with control. I just didn't do it perfectly. on the spot I wanted to turn. Well "duh" I'm a novice, but I did turn and I had complete control and I just didn't estimate well enough on what I needed to do to do it RIGHT THERE. That will take time and practice. Next time it will be better.

Later, at a part of the slope where I was picking up speed because it was easy (though I was still turning and directing my skis) a snowboarder suddenly changed his direction without looking/paying attention to others on the slope and was going to plow right into me without me suddenly stopping or him stopping his whatever he was doing. I yelled out, "whoa, whoa, whoa. Watch where you are going" and the bought me time as he diverted, but it made me realize that "I" wasn't confident I could stop on a dime at a good speed (for me). "I" was as much at fault as this snowboarder. And that left me disconcerted because I SHOULD be able to stop instantly.... So I need to work on that. I can stop where I want, but I work up to that.... like my partner is at a spot on a slope below me and I "park" next to him while we talk about some skill, etc." But I need to work on these SUDDEN stops. So then, I was a little shaken as I realized I'm not able to stop abruptly. My head needs a few seconds to prepare for what I'm trying to do unlike when I press the brakes on a car.

newboots

Angel Diva
Wow, you are sure hard on yourself! Don't forget to enjoy it!

(That said, I'm sure you will progress much faster than I have. I have a more laid-back approach. I try not to castigate myself but I've done plenty of that, too.)

Just an aside - notice that snowboarders have a blind side. We all wish they wouldn't turn in that direction, but it's good to keep awareness of it.

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Wow, you are sure hard on yourself! Don't forget to enjoy it!

(That said, I'm sure you will progress much faster than I have. I have a more laid-back approach. I try not to castigate myself but I've done plenty of that, too.)

Just an aside - notice that snowboarders have a blind side. We all wish they wouldn't turn in that direction, but it's good to keep awareness of it.
Right... and that is what freaked me out a bit - I know they have a blind side, so I need to be able to stop or dart in a different direction quickly. Now yes, always on the slope I'm changing direction or cutting a curve short because of being mindful of others on the slope, so I can do that when there is time to think, but I see people stopping quickly all the time and I don't think I can do that and I feel I should be able to do that for my own safety.

And maybe I'm being hard on myself, but thats because I'm 52 and my partner skis well and two kids picked it up quickly and I am expecting too much of myself. I am having fun but I would have more fun if I didn't worry about a crash. :smile: Yesterday was so great except for the near collision (which wasn't so near).

So, I'm going to search about stopping quickly on skis and practice that when I get to the slopes in a couple of days (probably Wednesday as it will rain Thursday and Friday).

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Right... and that is what freaked me out a bit - I know they have a blind side, so I need to be able to stop or dart in a different direction quickly. Now yes, always on the slope I'm changing direction or cutting a curve short because of being mindful of others on the slope, so I can do that when there is time to think, but I see people stopping quickly all the time and I don't think I can do that and I feel I should be able to do that for my own safety.

And maybe I'm being hard on myself, but thats because I'm 52 and my partner skis well and two kids picked it up quickly and I am expecting too much of myself. I am having fun but I would have more fun if I didn't worry about a crash. :smile: Yesterday was so great except for the near collision (which wasn't so near).

So, I'm going to search about stopping quickly on skis and practice that when I get to the slopes in a couple of days (probably Wednesday as it will rain Thursday and Friday).
I need to learn hockey stops - so... that's a goal for next time to work on.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
Flip side perspective.

How many people do you know in their 30s who can’t be bothered to learn something new because they don’t like being in that learning arc? You’re in your FIFTIES and taking up a sport that is physically demanding that requires you to silence manage your inner critic. You’re setting an example of lifelong growth and learning for your boys. You’re taking mental and physical steps to do it.

HOLY S***! How are you so amazing?

berryblondeboys

Certified Ski Diva
Flip side perspective.

How many people do you know in their 30s who can’t be bothered to learn something new because they don’t like being in that learning arc? You’re in your FIFTIES and taking up a sport that is physically demanding that requires you to silence manage your inner critic. You’re setting an example of lifelong growth and learning for your boys. You’re taking mental and physical steps to do it.

HOLY S***! How are you so amazing?
Wow... Thank you for this and I have to agree that it is setting a good example for my kids (for both of them... as even my 25 year old shoud hear it and "feel it" so that he doesn't get complacent about learning new things).

I think I am pushed by witnessing how my mother in law dealt with aging over the 28 years I've known her (and the last 12 of them with her living with us). She turned off the "learning anything new" BEFORE I met her. She has resisted learning absolutely anything and we had to push it, "You NEED to learn how to use a computer." You NEED to learn how to use a smart phone". With her knowing these these, she would have been lost the last 10 years. We had to be patient with her and ourselves while we helped her learn, but I'm so glad we took the time to do it!

I just don't want to stop learning new things and I can see how easy it would be to get that way - learning is hard. Failing is hard, but if you shut that off, you are aging yourself more quickly.

And with that I will say, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE watching older skiers who are patiently teaching either their grandkids or are instructors on the slopes. How great is that? Yesterday there was an older big man on skis teaching some tikes in a class and he was fun and patient and they will remember forever a grandpa like fella teaching them how to ski. It's awesome. I also love watching older (retirement age) couples/groups skiing together too.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@berryblondeboys -- Please look at this thread when you have a moment. I started skiing at age 50 and have had a lot of ups and downs. I took lessons with an amazing instructor last season and tried to document what we did. Others also contributed their experiences and insight which added depth to it.

If I could clone this man and send him to you, I would. Or time travel back to these lessons and have you join me ... absolutely. His knowledge plus your hard work and your skiing would be transformed.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I have to say, @vickie … I read your thread last year and it was truly inspirational. There were so many tidbits that you logged that were beneficial for me. What a lovely community this is.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Later, at a part of the slope where I was picking up speed because it was easy (though I was still turning and directing my skis) a snowboarder suddenly changed his direction without looking/paying attention to others on the slope and was going to plow right into me without me suddenly stopping or him stopping his whatever he was doing. I yelled out, "whoa, whoa, whoa. Watch where you are going" and the bought me time as he diverted, but it made me realize that "I" wasn't confident I could stop on a dime at a good speed (for me). "I" was as much at fault as this snowboarder. And that left me disconcerted because I SHOULD be able to stop instantly...

You definitely need a good hockey stop. Everyone needs one. It's an emergency stop.

Do you know about the skier's code of responsibility? Every skier is responsible for not running into people ahead, no matter how unexpected or irresponsible their movements might be. In other words, if you are passing someone ahead of you, slow down, waaaay down, and pass wide. Then you won't need a hockey stop if they do something unpredictable. You shouldn't need that hockey stop if you and everyone else follows the code.

But stuff happens, so....

It's always good to have that hockey stop in your toolbag in case some joker passes you too close then falls, or cuts in front of you, or blindly comes out of the woods at your side and barrels into your line. They are in the wrong, they are not following the skier's code, but that doesn't matter if you get hurt. So many skiers today don't follow the code, and then they blame the person they are passing for being in their line. That is self-indulgent and entitled of them. But hey people are like that.

Best of luck getting yourself trained to do an effective hockey stop. Remember, stopping on a dime is possible if you are going slow. It's never going to happen if you are going fast; it takes time and space to grind to a stop. In most cases veering away suddenly and effectively might be more effective. So practice that too.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna