• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Instructing?

joycemocha

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So. Today I was working with my adult son on the bunny slope at Timberline, doing some skills work because it's his second year skiing and he needs to develop his skills. Nothing too major.

One of the instructors I took private lessons with last year pulled me aside at one point, and said "Have you considered becoming an instructor? I've been watching you. You're good."

I stammered a bit, and blurted that I still wasn't that good a skier, certainly was someone who was still an intermediate and couldn't work with anyone much higher than a beginner.

"That's what we need," she said. Let's just say she was strongly giving me a recruiting pitch.

Um. Ah. Um....

So I went and talked to the ski school director, told him I was still pretty much an intermediate. His comment was "We'll teach you to ski better. We need people who can teach>"

Um. Ah. Um.

Palmer. Summer. Ski school. Five sessions, and then the winter clinics.

Ah--Divas who are instructors, is this even a feasible thing to consider? Or should I just mark it off as sincere flattery and work on developing my skills some more (further input, I'm 51 years old so if I'm going to do this now is probably a good time)?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not an instructor, but I've gone through the initial training. For a bunch of reasons, it is completely feasible for you to be an instructor, especially at the smaller ski areas. The essential ingredients for you are to be teachable, have time, and have the patience to teach others. So, if it's something that interests you, definitely check it out. :becky:

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it!

You'll learn loads going through the training to develop your own ski-ing but also to help get you instructing people.

The person watching you obviously sees a really good instructor in you - safe, patient, fun, good at motivating and developing people.

I instruct and started off at what I thought was an intermediate level. I now love what I do.

Go for it 100%

Jilly

Staff member
Yup - do it. The best instructors are not necessarily the best skiers. It's getting the skills across to the student. People skills are so important in ski instructing.

And as the director said - we'll teach you to ski. Most schools have sessions for the instructors with the top instructors in their school. (Perma-grin don't you do these??) That's where you'll learn. Also if you're not teaching some morning or afternoon, you just might get to ski the one of the better skiers for fun. I learned more one morning skiing with a level 3 at Tremblant than I'd learned in the session that week.

So try it!! It can be alot of fun!

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Yep I sure do. And Jilly is right, you can be taught to be a better skier. But your ability to communicate with a student and having a good attitude is more important to me than your skiing, when it comes to getting hired. If you have the oppourtunity to give instructing a try I would strongly recommend it what have you got to loose? Besides one of the many perks is the regular free ski improvement clinics!:thumbsup:

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do it!! The other ladies are right. GOOD teachers are so important!! I was not approached as you were, but I just finished my first season of teaching and LOVED it!! I took my course last December (with a broken wrist I might add!) and taught at the local hill that my kids take lessons at. I have *never* considered myself to be patient enough to teach anyone anything, but the parents of the kids I taught all came to me and said their kids loved having me, and I got quite a few repeat requests for privates and for regular lessons as well. It has been the best job ever! And like Jilly said, when you aren't teaching, and can find a level 2,3 or 4 instructor to ski with, it's awesome how much learn! Good luck!

cwmscm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone know an instructing courses are available in New England or more specifically Southern New England. I might want to get certified so that I could work xmas or spring break. And it sounds like it would help my skiing.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
Go for it. I was 61 when I got my CSIA level 1 and 62 when I got my level 2. Best thing I ever did. My skiing has improved hugely, I've met so many great people, and it turns out (somewhat to my surprise) that I LOVE teaching.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Does anyone know an instructing courses are available in New England or more specifically Southern New England. I might want to get certified so that I could work xmas or spring break. And it sounds like it would help my skiing.

Generally, you have to make a commitment to a particular resort by going to their hiring clinic for new instructors, which are held in the fall. If you're hired, you'll then have to sign a contract to work a specific number of days (varies between resorts). They will have new-hire clinics, and you'll probably be "shadowing" lessons before actually teaching. Only after teaching 30 hours* (verified by ski school director) are you eligible for the Level I exam.

Overall, ski schools in New England need more of a commitment than just holiday periods. Sometimes, "semi-retired" (but with active certification) instructors who have previously worked at a particular resort are able to do this at the same resort.

So---a pretty sizable commitment is required in this endeavor.
*This may have changed, but there is a minimum teaching requirement.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Overall, ski schools in New England need more of a commitment than just holiday periods. Sometimes, "semi-retired" (but with active certification) instructors who have previously worked at a particular resort are able to do this at the same resort.

As an example, the area that I was looking at required 20 "shifts" during the season. Because there was night skiing, a shift would be either a day or a night, and you could do a double. Plus, there were certain holiday periods where you were required to pick up at least one shift (MLK, Pres.), or if you didn't work MLK, you had to work Pres. weekend, etc.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Go for it. I was 61 when I got my CSIA level 1 and 62 when I got my level 2. Best thing I ever did. My skiing has improved hugely, I've met so many great people, and it turns out (somewhat to my surprise) that I LOVE teaching.

Ski bam! You go girl! I love hearing things like that!!!!:yahoo:

As for time involved yes that varies ski school to ski school but the PSIA certification standards are set to ensure that you have both the teaching and skiing skills required to take and pass the exams. A level 1 may be the least demanding of the 3 PSIA exam levels, but it is still an exam and should be taken with the same amount of dedication and forethought that you would give a level 3 exam. I feel all 3 levels are equally important if an instructor is serious and sinecere in their effots to becoming a stronger ski teaching proffesional.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga