• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Industry Careers?

Seattle Gal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So aside from patrol or teaching, what industry careers are there? I'm thinking of jobs where you get to work year round, have health benefits and make more than min wage. I guess the next question is do these jobs actually exist? :noidea:

If you have one of these jobs, I would love to hear about what you do and how you got into it. :smile:

Or if you are patrol or teach, what do you do during the off season.

Thanks!

P.S. can you tell I'm not taking the nearing end of the season well.:redface:

Anna

Angel Diva
What Geargrrl said :smile:
It's mostly about getting ONTO and being part of the year round operations of the Mountain .....

Something else you could try is to find the importers/distributors of GEAR and become part of their admin/office/sales/warehousing/logitics teams.

I am desperately still trying to get a job on the mountain(s) for our Aussie Winter!! I so NEED to SKI the WHOLE season!!

NEED NEED NEED!

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As others mentioned mountain administration and operations along with gear reps etc. Be aware though, these are highly sought after and competitive jobs to get these days. Not that you can't but many people want to do the same thing you do.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't one of our divas a lawyer for Aspen/Snowmass? That probably pays a living wage.
We had (have, she hasn't been around here in a long time) someone who worked inthe legal department for Aspen but not as a lawyer and she is no longer there.

tjm235

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a manager in our finance department (Steamboat)... year-round, benefits, etc. As has been said, these are highly sought after jobs so you really have to pay your dues to get into one of the year-round "career" positions... mtns typically promote from within, so most of the year-round staff started in some type of seasonal front-line capacity to learn the tools of the trade then just worked up the ladder.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about a job utilizing your skillset in the surrounding area? e.g. teaching at a school or college near the resort. You might not get the ski pass perks but you'd have access & still a reasonable salary and benefits.

I'm thinking along these lines for myself. But if the resort used the type of software I support (Peoplesoft), and I could do that, that would be like a dream.

tcarey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hospitality/Food is another year round position for resorts that have hotels and summer activities.
As far as the off season goes I am a personal trainer in a gym.I also spend alot of my time fixing up my houses after these tough winters!

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about a job utilizing your skillset in the surrounding area? e.g. teaching at a school or college near the resort. You might not get the ski pass perks but you'd have access & still a reasonable salary and benefits.

I'm thinking along these lines for myself. But if the resort used the type of software I support (Peoplesoft), and I could do that, that would be like a dream.

Vail uses PeopleSoft, but the headquarters is in the Denver area. Not on the mountain, but you get the "perks" of working for the resort.

Seattle Gal

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the feedback!

I'm already in an industry thats super hard to get into so I get having to pay dues. It would be hard to start over from scratch when I have such a great gig right now, but I do seriously dream about not working in corporate America anymore and spending every day on a mountain. :smile: I have another 1.5 yrs in my current job to be fully vested in company stock, but want to start "making connections" in order to make a career shift.

Life is just too short to not do what you love (I think I'm having a mid life crisis 10 years too soon lol). :smile:

eSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm having the same crisis. I'm trying to figure out how I can match my loves wine,food &skiing with my skills in software development and project management.

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
I'm having the same crisis. I'm trying to figure out how I can match my loves wine,food &skiing with my skills in software development and project management.

When you find THAT job, let me know. Well, okay, maybe not software development. How about wine, food, & skiing with skills in . . . er, conducting educational research? :noidea:

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
When I clicked on the first link I thought you were directing us to put in an ad.

Wanted: Job for WF who likes good wine, good food, and great skiing. Prefers a position that allows for flexibility . . . when there's fresh pow. Job skills: negotiable.

Sounds more like a personal ad. ;)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When I clicked on the first link I thought you were directing us to put in an ad.

Wanted: Job for WF who likes good wine, good food, and great skiing. Prefers a position that allows for flexibility . . . when there's fresh pow. Job skills: negotiable.

Sounds more like a personal ad. ;)

well, I hadn't thought of it that way, but why not?

theBuff

Certified Ski Diva
Could end up with some . . . interesting replies. Eek. :redface:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
How strict is your definition of "industry"? There are a ton of skiing/outdoorsy companies that need all kinds of people. Black Diamond and backountry.com are in SLC for example, and I'm pretty sure that Powder and Freeskier magazines are Denver-ish. Burton is in Burlington. Transpack is actually in NYC, funnily enough. If you look at places like that you have tons of opportunities for all kinds of positions.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga