• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm thinking about the Diva Summit, 2010

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Now that the season is winding down :( and some of us will be turning our attention to other things (incredible, huh??), I wanted to plant the seed for next year's Diva Summit.

So here's what I'm thinking for 2010:

Snowmass, the first week of March.

Snowmass is terrific. I've only been there once, but I had a fabulous time. There's something for everyone. Plus there's the added bonus of Aspen (both the town and the resort).

To make this even better, we're in talks right now to include a clinic component, for anyone who's interested (no, this would not be required). If it works out, this will be one knock-your-sox (or skis)-off clinic, too. So stay tuned for more on that.

I'd love to get enough people interested to let us qualify for group lodging and lift ticket discounts. That'd be a great way to keep everyone's cost down.

This is a fabulous way to get to know other Divas and have a blast skiing with the other women from forum. Anyone who's been to our past two Diva Summits knows this is true. And yes, spouses and SO's are more than welcome.

So keep this in mind, when you start thinking about next season.

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a really great time meeting all the Divas this year, and I wish I could say I would definitely be there this year, but... It is way too early for me to reply to that now.

It all depends on money and if I can get time off work. The economic crisis has just hit my line of business, and I am more worried about whether or not I have my job next year, than about the ski diva summit. But that is something for another thread.

I hope a lot of people have time and money to meet up. The Divas are all great, and it is so nice to put names, nicks and faces together. And I must admit I really want to go to the clinic.

Bumblebee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I too would love to be able to commit but of course there are baby-plans and the way things are going I'm likely to give birth during that week.! :fear:

I will be skiing next season but right now the dates are up in the air.

Snowmass sounds wonderful but the accommdation costs frighten me - flights and lift passes are a "known entity". Alas I'm not like the scary rich lady I met at Breck from Alabama who had me silently howling with mirth at her "a've read an etiquette book but I can't remember how to eat my lunch"! :loco:

Maybe Astrid and I should think about herding the EU contigent in the Geneva direction... ?

Toucan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I have not attended any summits as yet, Snowmass would be out of my budget too. OTH, Utah has some excellent options, lodging is very affordable, and snow is always optimal.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am sure that many of the divas are concerned about cost because this is Aspen Snowmass, however, speaking from experience with ESA Aspen Snowmass, I assure you this can be affordable if we can qualify for the group rates.

This could be a great opportunity to get to experience a world class resort at a group rate.

The biggest hurdle is the contracts that have to be worked out with the resort(s). I am sure that SkiDiva has to make promises now for an event that is a year from now, and rooms will have to be booked a minimum of 2 months in advance(IIRC).
This means that we'll need to get a reasonable head count in advance.

Hope this can work out, because Aspen Snowmass is something that should be experienced!!!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
The economy being what it is, I am in the same boat as Astrid. I may not have a job in a few months. Of course, a Diva Summit and Apen are both things I would love to experience. Is there any way to get some idea of cost? Perhaps with and without the group discount so we can figure out if this is possible, and to start saving for it.

skimomma24

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I, too, would *love* to attend a Diva Summit. But as the others stated, the economy sucks right now. Hubby is in the middle of a re-org where he has to define his role, and I am still at home. So money is super tight. If I had figures that we could plan for, and dates to book off, that would help.

Jilly

Staff member
I'm out because of the dates. First week of March is a no go for me. But for anyone interested, SkiCan runs trips to Snowmass from Toronto. It might be less expense for those along the border. SkiCan provides, flight, transportation, accomodation at a number of places and lifts.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I will be doing a lot of research on rates, believe me.

I went to Snowmass a few years ago as part of a ski club, and with a group rate, it was more affordable than you might think. I know money is tight for a lot of people (including me), so I'm all for keeping the costs down.

Shannon D

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Love it!!! I think Aspen/Snowmass is the best around for skiers of all abilities.

Don't tell my employer I said that though. :nono:

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Aspen has been offering a four pack of lift tickets the last few years for ~ $160 (give or take ten dollars depending on the year). This "pass" is good for all of their resorts with NO BLACK OUT DATES!!!! It's a great deal!

Based on my *plans* for Winter '10, I don't think I'll be at the '10 Summit. Besides the cost, Aspen is also too far of a treck for me from New England. I am so jammed with work and kid responsibilities that the additional time to get there with possible travel delays makes it not an appealing destination at this stage in my life. Beautiful skiing there though!

abc

Banned
I guess I'm mostly out since I've been there rather recently...

It's a fantastic place. But I'm not in a hurry to go back, for the following reasons:

1) If ESA is any indication, cost of lodging is frightful! It'll take a lot of organisation to get the required number of attendence to get the cost down. Given the economy, it'll be an uphill battle.

2) It's not the easiest place to get to and out. My flight was rather expensive. AND, I nearly got stuck there for a week due to weather and lack of alternative flight out!!!

One big pro, you don't need a car. Most hotels will pick you up from the airport and take you back for free. Once in the village, you can walk everywhere. Plus the buses work pretty well.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, I'm going to do a lot of research into doing this as economically as possible. It's still very early, so let's not dismiss it until all the info is in. I just wanted to get this out there before everyone's attention was diverted by off-season activities.

If anyone has any suggestions or inside info, I'd love to hear them.

LindsaySkiGal

Certified Ski Diva
I would be interested if I wasn't planning a trip to whistler during that same period to go heli-skiing, but if that trip falls through, I'll definately reconsider! :smile:

Jenny

Angel Diva
We're interested, and the time of year is good for work schedules. But we'd be an either/or for Snowmass/Aspen vs. Europe. No way to do both.

slowjo

Certified Ski Diva
I was just telling the bf that I thought I would save my money and stay home next year, but then you tempt me with Snowmass!! I was there once over 10 years ago and would LOVE to go back.:clap:

cinnabon

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
While I have not attended any summits as yet, Snowmass would be out of my budget too. OTH, Utah has some excellent options, lodging is very affordable, and snow is always optimal.
I was sort of hoping for UT too - obviously makes it affordable for me! LOL I was really hoping to try to make it next year, because I'd love to meet everyone. But if its Aspen I'm a little doubtful... I was just there last week. Here is my take on it.

Very cute town and all, but I will agree with the consensus that it is frightfully expensive. I went because our trip was comped (brother is a travel writer!) Our hotel in town was nice, but not nearly one of the most expensive, and the room would have been $400/night. Even with group rates, its going to be more expensive than a lot of other places. Food and everything else is pricey, and it's not real accessible. My brother flew into Grand Junction, which was about 2 hours away - I'm not sure if that's the closest option? Pretty small airport.

As for the skiing, I really did not like Snowmass. (Aspen Mountain resort was great, though!) I had high hopes for Snowmass, but in the case of no recent snow and very warm conditions, which can happen in March, most of what this place consists of is miles and miles of very gentle, wide, blue groomers - more than I have ever seen anywhere! Needless to say, I was extremely bored. Otherwise, they have some really challenging double blacks, which I did not explore on my own, especially with cliffs and no powder... and there is really almost nothing in between.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer! :redface: I'm not 100% ruling it out if it's Aspen, but if I know it will be someplace affordable and easy, I could commit about 75% likelihood of making it...

A couple pics from my trip:
(here are the rest: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cinnabon/sets/72157615830334596/)

Most of Snowmass looks like this:

3380691855_9470b0febc.jpg

Aspen Mountain:
mid mountain:

3381549294_d223e68000.jpg

looking at the town:

3381548300_801ea4edea.jpg

View of mountain from town:

3381491962_0059a3a857.jpg

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was just telling the bf that I thought I would save my money and stay home next year, but then you tempt me with Snowmass!! I was there once over 10 years ago and would LOVE to go back.:clap:
Road Trip or Fly?
:bounce:

Cinnabon, I am sad that you experienced Snowmass during sparse conditions. When I as there in January we had some amazing conditions and I loved Snowmass in a huge way. Longshot and Garrets Gulch were among my favourites.

The four included in the Aspen Snowmass ticket deals are Aspen Mt, Snowmass, Highlands and Buttermilk. I'd love to hit Highlands Bowl on one of my journeys

As always I agree that this can be more expensive but there are locations cheaper than 400/night.

If this can be pulled off, it would be fun, but then, there are other amazing places I'd love to hit as well. :bounce:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga