• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm getting an E-bike!

Tvan

Angel Diva
I’m toying with the idea of an e-bike, but still trying to figure out where people bike in Vermont. It seems like most people either mountain bike, which seems too adventurous for me, or road bike, which I have no interest in. We were spoiled by the rail trail network in the Hudson Valley.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I’m toying with the idea of an e-bike, but still trying to figure out where people bike in Vermont. It seems like most people either mountain bike, which seems too adventurous for me, or road bike, which I have no interest in. We were spoiled by the rail trail network in the Hudson Valley.

Vermont biker here. We do a lot of e-biking on dirt roads (did you know that 60% of the roads in Vermont are dirt? Really, they get very little traffic), and they're tons of fun. Get a good road atlas and check them out.

From where you are, too, you could easily get up to the Burlington bike path (love the Causeway that goes out onto Lake Champlain), or even to the Lamoille Rail Trail, once repairs are made (it got hit pretty hard in the flood). Also, as you know, it's great to bike around North Hero.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah, to @ski diva's point about dirt roads, Google a bit for gravel bike routes. I don't think you're particularly close to the NEK, but here's an example of a site with the kind of route suggestions you might be looking for:

Tvan

Angel Diva
Vermont biker here. We do a lot of e-biking on dirt roads (did you know that 60% of the roads in Vermont are dirt? Really, they get very little traffic), and they're tons of fun. Get a good road atlas and check them out.

From where you are, too, you could easily get up to the Burlington bike path (love the Causeway that goes out onto Lake Champlain), or even to the Lamoille Rail Trail, once repairs are made (it got hit pretty hard in the flood). Also, as you know, it's great to bike around North Hero.
We've ridden the Burlington bike path before starting in South Hero. This weekend's plan is to start in Burlington and go north. I agree that the causeway portion is the best of that route! Will have to look up the Lamoille Rail Trail. Thanks for the recommendation!

@RachelV - thanks for the info on NEK gravel routes. Will investigate.

SqueakySnow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Burlington biker here I've found quite a few routes in and around Burlington that mostly keep you off the main streets and connect Colchester all the way down to South Burlington.

Local Motion is a great resource for biking advocacy and routes in Vermont, especially the Burlington area.

For a bit of easy trail riding, check out the Intervale trail system once it recovers from the flooding. I especially like the Calkins trail that runs alongside the river. You can connect to the trail network at the Ethan Allen Homestead, ride through the park, and connect to the Burlington Bike Path in the New North End.

There's also a nice paved path along Riverside Avenue that goes from the Winooski bridge to the Old North End. And, there's another paved trail that follows the 127 Beltline and connects the Old North End to Ethan Allen Homestead and the New North End.

In South Burlington, there is a paved path along Dorset Street that connects to another paved path alongside Swift Street that connects to the South Burlington Rec Path at Spear Street. With a little wiggling, you can cross Shelburne Ave and head down Queen City Park Road to the beginning of the Burlington Bike Path at Oakledge Park.

I also like the rec path that leaves the sports fields at UVM, travels along Spear Street past the country club and then turns right and follows the 189 to Shelburne Road.

A bit further afield, the Stowe Rec Path is a great paved path that leaves downtown Stowe behind the white church and travels along the Little River most of the way to the ski resort.

Like @SkiDiva I also love the Lamoille Rail Trail, but agree it sustained damage from the flood so keep an eye on it's status before heading out.

Bookworm

Angel Diva
We just went this weekend on a ride up on the Sparta-Elroy trail in Wisconsin. I couldn’t believe the number of E-Bikes. I’d say 50%! It seems that for most people it’s really the only way they’d be out there for 40 miles. I’m considering it for my dotage!

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@SqueakySnow thanks for listing those out! I live in South Burlington so I know the rec path well, but I haven't explored the Intervale.

@Tvan - how was your riding this weekend? I've ridden the Burlington bike path but not as far as the causeway- some day!

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Well, we took the ebikes up to Summit County for the first time this week and it was amazing. Ebikes aren't allowed on any trails up there, but there's a great rec path network where they are allowed. It's so hard to feel good on a bike up there with the elevation! Lake level is right about 9k feet and the ebike is like a cheat code. Really great. I'd say 50% of the bikes on the rec paths were ebikes.

This is double funny because DH's sister's nickname is Pants.
recpath1.jpg

From near the top of the rec path along Swan Mountain Rd. Keystone straight ahead, Grays and Torreys peeking out on the left side of the ridgeline.
recpath2.jpg

Tennessee

Angel Diva
I cycled the Cades Cove loop road in Great Smoky Mountains NP last Wednesday and it was an absolutely perfect day. It is closed to cars every Wednesday so that’s a plus. Saw lots and lots of e-bikes of all shapes and sizes. I like the idea of an e-bike for gravel roads! I think riding on our paved roads is too dangerous. Much safer plus I live on a long gravel road so I could ride from home. What makes an e-bike good for gravel??? Just fat tires or are there other things to look for? We have steepness too so I would question the braking ability on a long steep hill.
Here are some pics from the Cades Cove rideIMG_3235.jpegIMG_3230.jpegIMG_3227.jpegIMG_3226.jpegIMG_3224.jpeg

Amie H

Angel Diva
My usual exercise classes are canceled Tues-Thurs this week, so I was thinking of taking my ebike to work. Well, sadly I just found out that a college friend died this morning after a bike accident on a local road (in a bike lane - he hit an illegally parked Amazon van) I'm sad about this bc he was a great guy. It hits hard when a peer passes; selfishly, it's scary and an unwelcome reminder of our own mortality. I can share the news story (he was semi-famous in certain circles) in PM if anyone cares to know more details about the accident or of him.

I'll admit there are always a few sections of my commute that scare me a little. I'm now thinking of changing my tires over to all-terrain from road and only use my bike on bike trails in my area (thankfully we have some nice ones.)

Has anyone done this? It looks like a lot of you have tires well-suited for compacted gravel trails. My current tires are terrible (unstable) on anything but paved surfaces.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm so sorry to hear about your friend @Amie H. And I totally understand what you mean about someone your own age dying that makes you think about your own mortality.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sorry to hear that @Amie H . Throughout my competitive swimming career I interfaced with a lot of triathletes. I don't think I know a single one who hasn't been hit by a car while training on the bike. There are just too, too many reckless, distracted, and angry drivers out there.

Shananigans

Diva in Training
I’m also in VT and hoping to get one in the next 12 months for 2 purposes: for transportation to reduce my use of my vehicle & to allow me to explore more/longer trail riding (I’m a mtn bike fan though so will be going that route)

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Well, DH has had one for a good 3 years now, and the other day I finally caved and got an ebike. I don't know why I waited so long, really. I think I was just hesitant to spend the money.

Back when I lived in NYC, and for the first while living in Boulder, I was pretty serious about using my bike to get around. Then, slowly, I just started biking less. We moved a bit further from downtown, just far enough to get a little too sweaty on the way to dinner. I basically stopped road biking because distracted driving freaks me out, so I'm less bike fit. I MTB less since we got our dog in 2020, because if I'm doing cardio on a given day, it's probably to hike her (will she EVER have less energy? so far: no).

And then what sucks is the less you bike, the less pleasant it is to bike commute, so it's kind of a cycle, and then you're just out of the habit.

So this is what I think is so great about ebikes: they make it possible to enjoy using a bike to get around without being a ~~ CYCLIST ~~. Plus, they are ridiculously fun. Really brings out that little kid joy of riding a bike.

Anyways, here's my new bike. It appeals to my simple bike sensibilities. Plus I'm confident there will always be a Trek store within 30 min of me if it ever needs service I'm not capable of doing myself. It's one of these:

View attachment 21514

I'm looking forward to reminding myself of how lovely the bike path network is around here, and how nice it is to bike places.
So how do you like it thus far? I wonder if you could ride a century with it or would it runout of juice since it said 35 miles distance.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna