• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I'm a Pants Slut!

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Purple AT Theta on tele skis...so there are two of us!

Sad, but I returned the jacket. More coin than I wanted to spend and dangit my old AT Beta looks almost new, so hard to justify that much money to change the color of my jacket. :(

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ordered four pairs because XL in a lot of brands won't fit, so I hoped at least one would work out.

The winner - at least, the pair that definitely is not being returned - is the Black Diamond Dawn Patrol.

https://www.backcountry.com/black-diamond-dawn-patrol-pant-womens

Well, mine are purple. And were $50 cheaper. Maybe I snagged the last purple pair.

Anyway, the thighs are pretty tight fitting on me, so I wasn't so sure, but because they're stretchy, I can move *so* easily in them. It feels like I'm wearing nothing over my tights. It's shocking how free I feel! I gather from the reviews that other people think they're supposed to fit loose, but whatcha gonna do? And after wearing them for a couple of hours today on the snow, they seemed to fit more loosely, anyway.

I wanted something to wear when I'm sweating - super warm days or uphill days. These are lovely. The gaiters and bottom of the pant legs are very tight, but I can *just* slip the gaiters over my ski boots. This, of course, is a pros/cons thing - because I've never had a good solution for snowshoeing and hiking in the snow. My Sentinels are great for skiing, but they're bulky and noisy and hang too long. And not having any sort of wind protection isn't great, either. So I'm thinking I would use these for more than just skiing. Score.

They have short zips at the side of the pant for fiddling with buckles without having to work the gaiters up the boot. Not sure how I feel about these. I can see how it's nice since the gaiters are so dang tight! There are side vents, but they are shorter than I would have liked. Mesh backed, though, which is nice. The two front of thigh pockets are kind of a very tight cargo pocket - they have a bit of a built-in shelf at the bottom rather than being completely tight against the leg - but the material is so stretchy that it's easy to stuff things in there. Of course it would look pretty silly if I stuffed like an orange in there, but I think I could manage a clementine if I were determined ... okay, so, they're nothing like the Sentinel pockets, where you could probably sneak a hippo, but impressive given the limitations.

Two of the pairs were Norrøna - those will definitely be returned. Too tight. I can get them buttoned, but they're like sausage casings. No.

This leaves the last pair. Logically, I'm pretty sure I have to return them. I've already worn the Black Diamonds - they're not going back. The last pair, the Mountain Equipment Spectre, are a smidge tighter at the waist - as in, just a tiny bit too tight. They're also the most expensive of the bunch. And they're black - BORING.

But they have more of a ski pant feel to them - I think they'll block wind better. The leg cuffs are a little bigger. And there's the voice saying, "Well, if you just lose a little weight, they'll actually fit well." Which of course is such a dangerous knife edge to walk.

https://www.backcountry.com/mountain-equipment-spectre-softshell-pant-womens

Soooo. Decisions, decisions.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
And there's the voice saying, "Well, if you just lose a little weight, they'll actually fit well." Which of course is such a dangerous knife edge to walk.

LOL!!! Don't you hate that?!! I'm in between sizes at the moment. And amazed (annoyed?) at the big difference from small (which I could never fit into anyway!!)/medium/large/XL, not just between brands, but within brands! I tried and returned a few pairs of Mountain Hardware .... mediums would barely zip, large I could hold them up to keep them from sliding down to the position some teen age boys wear their pants!

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought my first pair of fancy shell ski pants (on sale). But I got them in an ... aspirational... size because I'm sick of being out of shape and refuse to buy things in my current size, which I somehow do not believe to be an empirically-observable fact. They should be a stylish incentive to put down the chicken wings and stick to my training plan. I can't wait to see how it feels to actually be in decent physical shape for a ski season! <<Knocking on wood for no bike crashes>>.

Screenshot 2017-09-07 01.44.18.png

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Freeskier mag had these Strafe pants in the buyers guide - Lavender Belle Pant ....https://strafeouterwear.com/product/belle-pant-2017/ was intrigued by the Lavender color, which would possibly make me need to buy additional items to co-ordinate a 'look'

Strafe just updated their site, I also like the blue and grey color ..... have no idea how they fit, but need a new soft-shell pant as DD has now claimed my old ones. These are a bit above my regular budget but if the fit was perfect.......
F17W18_21006_016_P_3.jpg

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love lavender (and all purples) but I stay away from light colored pants because they look dirty really fast.

I need a very thin pair of shell pants for spring skiing. Anyone have any leads in the under $75 range?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Freeskier mag had these Strafe pants in the buyers guide - Lavender Belle Pant ....https://strafeouterwear.com/product/belle-pant-2017/ was intrigued by the Lavender color, which would possibly make me need to buy additional items to co-ordinate a 'look'

Strafe just updated their site, I also like the blue and grey color ..... have no idea how they fit, but need a new soft-shell pant as DD has now claimed my old ones. These are a bit above my regular budget but if the fit was perfect.......
View attachment 7459
Those are cute... May be warm as lined in fleece? They need to go on sale:smile:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Those are -so- cute. Plaid would feed my Outlander obsession too, by the way.
I wear pants with a red mountain force jacket but your new black w/ red piping would look great.....

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wouldn't it be nice if somebody made plain old rain pants in colors other than black and in styles other than "formlessly baggy"?

LOL @SallyCat I need more than not formlessly baggy, I know I'm picky. I after doing some searching last night (yes prompted by this thread) I realized I want leg vent zippers and boot gators :eek::cry::frusty::scared:

Also @VickiK there are a pair of red burton pants size large on ebay.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:frown::eek::frown: The Strafe Belle pant is sold out in Lavender and Rad-ish. (unless you can find in a store?) The Blue, Gray and Purple are still available in limited numbers on line (diff online stores and only blue on Strafe website). I spoke w/ Strafe and they said that pant was a good cut w/ 4 way stretch and worked well for different body types. They will be sold out of a lot of stuff by November. :crazy:What? I just started thinking about opening weekend which is in 2 weeks -- plenty of time to order on line right? I guess since the lavender was featured in Freeskier magazine it was popular - but multiple colors sold out in October? sounds like they didn't do a big enough run....

Im not sure if I want the other colors and I'm not sure of fit so would have to order 2 sizes... I'm so conflicted!
Don't mind spending that much on a wetsuit, and for another 100$ I could get a new surfboard .... or a cheaper pair of pants AND a new pair of goggles which I need.......

mustski

Angel Diva
I love the look of those strafe pants, but that is too rich for my blood! I understand the temptation for sure. As for aspirational sizing ... i’m A believer. I bought 2 pairs on sale last spring and .. yay... they fit now!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
:frown::eek::frown: The Strafe Belle pant is sold out in Lavender and Rad-ish. (unless you can find in a store?) The Blue, Gray and Purple are still available in limited numbers on line (diff online stores and only blue on Strafe website). I spoke w/ Strafe and they said that pant was a good cut w/ 4 way stretch and worked well for different body types. They will be sold out of a lot of stuff by November. :crazy:What? I just started thinking about opening weekend which is in 2 weeks -- plenty of time to order on line right? I guess since the lavender was featured in Freeskier magazine it was popular - but multiple colors sold out in October? sounds like they didn't do a big enough run....

Im not sure if I want the other colors and I'm not sure of fit so would have to order 2 sizes... I'm so conflicted!
Don't mind spending that much on a wetsuit, and for another 100$ I could get a new surfboard .... or a cheaper pair of pants AND a new pair of goggles which I need.......
Like those pants. lmk how they fit...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love the look of those strafe pants, but that is too rich for my blood! I understand the temptation for sure. As for aspirational sizing ... i’m A believer. I bought 2 pairs on sale last spring and .. yay... they fit now!
Yeay! Colors?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga