• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ideas on piste (short rad, mid 70s waist?) skis please

Grizzla

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all. Posting from the UK, so not everything will be available here, but after some general piste ski advice please. Preferably I will get some second hand skis on grounds of cost and trying them out without potentially throwing away a lot of cash on a chance; testing them is likely to be difficult before buying.

I have my old Elan Mag 4 skis (rad 11.2, wait 70, composite and wood cap construction) which I love and have had great fun on for many years, from intermediate to bit more advanced levels. They are damp (not bouncy anyway), I think forgiving, responsive, fast enough and generally a good all round piste carving ski; also very easy and quick to edge and quite easy when skiing agressively to get them in the air on short corridor or bumps turns. However, as I get better I feel that I need something better. They are described as an intermediate to advanced ski; I think that I need something a bit more advanced, something that will give me a bit better control and the ability to advance my technique. I find that I'm not getting the solid feel nor precise drive/control out of them that I now want and think that I am capable of getting and they're not inspiring my ability to improve (I can't explain why).

Can't really say what I need, though. Can say that I don't want anything particularly fast as such, and don't want anything 'lively': I tried Dynastars and they were bouncing all over the place. Ditto some of the women's Head 'Joy' range - too soft and light feeling. I like something which I can control and 'drive' to make it do what I want it to, but preferably not with too much muscle-tiring effort (and I am living with knees without ACLs so muscle effort - not necessarily the same as strength - is at a premium). I like 'feel' in a ski: a solid feel underfoot, yet something which responds to input and tells me what's going on in return. Ultimately, a ski is a technical tool to me and it is something which with appropriate techncial ability I can make it do what I want and to go where I want it to go.
I do seem to be able to pressure and over-steer or/or over-edge very easily on most skis, and I seem naturally to put skis on edge rather than pivot - at least, my current skis like reacting like that and aren't easy to pivot (though I can make them and other skis do it with varying degrees of ease and success).

My feeling is that I want a wood core, maybe a metal layer (?), probably proper sidewall construction and definitely lots of torsional stiffness; probably a stiffer ski in general. However, I might be a bit behind the times in my knowledge of ski construction. Lightness to carry would be an advantage. Can be a man's or women's ski; girly graphics and colours to be avoided if possible(!).

I ski mainly on hardpack to European 'crud'. I like carving but I'm not one for great long turns: more short turns, bumps and that kind of thing.

Length will be 150-155 I reckon (9 1/2 stone ish, and I don't want to go long with the knee issues). Radius ideally 10-13, waist between 70 and 75 ideally.

I have already some 155 Elan SLX slalom race skis ( 68 waist) and some Scottt Reverse 166s (tip/tail rocker, 85 waist, R14) - I want something inbetween. The Scotts are nice skis and surprisingly light and easy to ski but are just a bit too wide, don't react as fast or somehow just quite as I'd like and don't bite well in hardpack. The SLXs are just plain fast and narrow!

At the moment, let's be honest, I have lost a lot of confidence after my 'accident' and knee ligament injuries. So I also want a ski that will give me confidence and enable me to be a better technical skier, whilst coping with all piste and side of piste conditions and also bumps, crud, moguls etc. But something that won't tire out my muscles too much either...

Not too much to ask (??) - if any of it makes any sense anyway! I have heard recommendations for some of the Atomic Redster ranges (and Cloud 11?), Rossi Hero Elite range, Head iSupershape Magnums (or Titans or Rally?). A few K2 'luv' range skis also might be of interest maybe (74ti?). There's loads of others and, fundamentally, I don't know. And they all seem quite hard to get hold of 2nd hand and certainly not cheap(ish). Also interested in Elans, espectially the higher range ladies' skis if anyone knows them.

Basically, any advice, suggestions, feedback, comments etc welcome.
Thanks.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am recovering from a PCL injury and have craptastic (that's the official diagnosis, I swear) knees. I find narrower and shorter skis to be significantly less painful. The way you ski, on edge, is what has saved my knees and kept skiing a possibility for me, any pivoting motions tend to cause lasting pain.

I used to ski the Elan Insomnia's 14-15 72mm, which I think would be too light (though if you want them and have a 295mm bsl, sure). I now ski the iSupershape Speed 156, 68mm, which is relatively easy on my knees. I know you were looking at the iTitan or Rally but the iSpeed is really nice and not fast unless I want it to go fast. I find it a lot sturdier than the Elan's and feel way more in control despite "Speed" being part of the name. Very nice, very stable ski that responds well to being on edge.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I ski the Rossi Hero ST Carbon as my daily driver. But it's only a 68 mm waist. They do have something in a 74. The tip of the Hero's is called power turn. It's rockered, so you might need longer than a traditional camber. Last year's AT are 74mm.

Last Sunday was into the Atomic shop. They would recommend for me the new Cloud 12. So it's going on the demo list. But that's a month away.

But something in the 75mm range. If you found the Joy's a little too soft, then maybe the Rally or the Titan. The older Redster's had a funny sweet spot. It was hard to find. Not sure about the new ones.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm on Atomic CLoud 11's (2018 are Cloud 12) they are 71 under foot, very stable but like to go FAST and like being on edge vs skidding not a huge sweet spot.

Maybe the cloud 9's they are a step down and not "race ready" like the 11's and 12's?

The K2 skis and Blizzard's may be a good choice
also the Volkl Flairs they were stable and easy to control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna