• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

I know I just posted on Banff, but Whistler?

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Were now looking at a second trip out west this winter, but this time with the gang. We went as a group to CO last winter, and a few have a requested somewhere new.

With the weak CDN, going north is appealing and affordable. I've never been, so I'm wondering how WB would be for a mixed group of intermediate and above? We are the kind of group that grabs a beer at the mountain right after, shuttles home and then heads back out for dinner and drinks but we aren't going to party all night.

I'm looking into a few other places, but I'd curious to see if Whistler would be a good option for us so long as I can get everyone to get their passport etc in time.

Jilly

Staff member
It's a great place. This year will be my 6th trip out there. Epic ski is doing their gathering there this winter in March.

Staying slope side in Blackcomb might be the right idea for you. Ski in, ski out. 2 bars at the base that are walking distance home, or a short lift that runs late. Shower, dress and then head out to the Whistler base for dinner. No need for a car if you take an airport shuttle. There is a grocery store in the Marketplace Mall. Major Canadian cities have flights to Vancouver just about every hour. So you could fly into Toronto/Montreal and then on west. Air Canada or WestJet would be the carriers from those airports. For some ideas check out SkiCan. This company does only ski trips so they are good resource.

If you have an Epic pass, you get 5 days at WB included for this year. If not there is a Gold Card that Americans can get discounted lifts on.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly thanks! that helps a lot.

Any idea of what kind of snow they are predicted to get this year? My one friend is concerned about no snow up there...

marzNC

Angel Diva

Any idea of what kind of snow they are predicted to get this year? My one friend is concerned about no snow up there...
No snow up where? From what I understand, for early season the only place on the MCP that makes sense in Dec is Whistler.

Have read plenty of recommendations for W-B when families or intermediates are looking for a place for a ski vacation. That includes families from as far away as Australia and the UK.

@alison wong had a very good time at W-B last season with her nephew. She's going back in March during the EpicSki Gathering. I know a few intermediates who plan to attend as well.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
see @marzNC that's what I thought-it would be a safe bet by then for decent snow.

awesome. Depending on who goes, we have a few upper level skiers, a couple decent snowboarders, a couple intermediates and two more balls than brains skiers. So kinda a mixed bag but four of us (me, the two intermediates and one MBTB) went to CO last year and skied together just fine.

Ive heard its a fun town, so I hope we can work something out that we can go.

Christy

Angel Diva
Whistler is very good for a group. No car needed and everything is so concentrated that it's easy for people to come and go as they please, easy to have your beer, head back to the hotel/condo, then head back out. The downside of Whistler is the crowds. Don't go during peak periods, and pretty much every weekend will be busy. Midweek is generally fine. There is plenty of intermediate terrain.

Jilly

Staff member

They are opening TOMORROW!! Ahead of schedule. I now know 2 instructors out there. Lady Salina is working at WB for the winter!!

Lizzy and I did the Ladies 2 day camp 2 years in a row. We had quite a group of Diva's the first year. There was enough skiing for all.

alison wong

Angel Diva
@Jersey Fresh : Yes, as @marzNC mentioned, I took my then 14-yr old nephew last year to WB, he had a blast. He skied twice before visiting WB (both times at Verbier in Switzerland). After WB, he is not interested to go back to Verbier because WB has better snow.

You mentioned 2nd trip. Have you considered combing WB and Banff in 1 trip? It is doable and I did it last year. What I did was bit crazy: after I dropped off my nephew at Vancouver airport (after skiing at WB), I then took a Greyhound bus from Vancouver to Banff. I arrived to Banff around 4:30 am, took taxi to the hotel, slept 3 hours, got on 8:30 am shuttle to SSV. I was able to fall asleep on bus because I took an Ambien.

Another option is to take the train from Vancouver to Jasper, then bus (Sun Dog bus) to Banff. Or bus from Banff to Jasper, then take train to Vancouver. This is my preferred option because I heard the scenery along the train ride is amazing, highly recommended by guide books. However, it will take 2 days of travel time.... not sure if you have enough time off (from work) to swing that?
If you are traveling w/ a group, I'd think train ride will be the most fun experience.

3rd option is fly from Vancouver to Calgary or vice versa... it takes the shortest travel time. This maybe preferred option is you have limited vacation time.

In terms of cost, bus is the least expensive, train is the most expensive (if you book the sleeping cabinet. Otherwise, the regular fare costs a bit more than greyhound) , flight option falls in the middle.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
From the webcams -there's been a ton of early season snow. I'll be at WB from December 8-12. It's my first trip there and I'll be sure to post a report. I've heard it's great for all abilities.

Jilly

Staff member
WB opens today. I had a note from Lady Salina that she has to teach this weekend. So things must be happening! . I'm sure I'll hear from her later today.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@Jersey Fresh : Yes, as @marzNC mentioned, I took my then 14-yr old nephew last year to WB, he had a blast. He skied twice before visiting WB (both times at Verbier in Switzerland). After WB, he is not interested to go back to Verbier because WB has better snow.

You mentioned 2nd trip. Have you considered combing WB and Banff in 1 trip? It is doable and I did it last year. What I did was bit crazy: after I dropped off my nephew at Vancouver airport (after skiing at WB), I then took a Greyhound bus from Vancouver to Banff. I arrived to Banff around 4:30 am, took taxi to the hotel, slept 3 hours, got on 8:30 am shuttle to SSV. I was able to fall asleep on bus because I took an Ambien.

Another option is to take the train from Vancouver to Jasper, then bus (Sun Dog bus) to Banff. Or bus from Banff to Jasper, then take train to Vancouver. This is my preferred option because I heard the scenery along the train ride is amazing, highly recommended by guide books. However, it will take 2 days of travel time.... not sure if you have enough time off (from work) to swing that?
If you are traveling w/ a group, I'd think train ride will be the most fun experience.

3rd option is fly from Vancouver to Calgary or vice versa... it takes the shortest travel time. This maybe preferred option is you have limited vacation time.

In terms of cost, bus is the least expensive, train is the most expensive (if you book the sleeping cabinet. Otherwise, the regular fare costs a bit more than greyhound) , flight option falls in the middle.

Well - if you take a bus from Vancouver to Calgary, you could always break it up with a day or two skiing in Revelstoke :smile:

I would not recommend the train between Jasper and Vancouver - Canadian passenger trains in the west are highly unreliable. Freight gets priority, and the trains are always running late (and I don't mean 10 minutes late, I mean 16 hours late). I had family do the train ride and they were a day and a half late coming into Jasper. yes, it is a beautiful train ride, but it is super difficult to plan anything around that train. They said they would never do it again.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@alison wong and @Albertan ski girl thanks for the info! we actually want to keep them seperate because I want to take a trip with just me and the hubby and not the whole gang of hooligans. i know we could fly out early and then meet them, but since we bought a little farm and moved my horses home, I dont know that I want to be gone that long at once.

How doable is the drive from Seattle? I think flying into Vancouver would be a bit too expensive for most, even when you factor in splitting a rental car from Seattle.

Christy

Angel Diva
It's an easy drive weather wise--no mountain passes. But here is what you need to know: Seatac is south of Seattle, and metro area traffic goes all way way up to Marysville, north of Everett (in fact the Everett area is the worst for traffic due to the Boeing factory and the naval base). So do not, under any circumstance, try to make your way from Seatac to Whistler in rush hour. You need to be north of Everett by 2:30, in fact, to miss rush hour. Leaving Seatac between 9 and noon would be ideal. Alternately if you flew in in the evening, you could drive as far north as you wanted (preferably to North Vancouver so you miss Vancouver am traffic) then head up to Whistler the next morning. You also want to avoid Vancouver in rush hour. There is no freeway through Vancouver from the border, so when you cross the border you are on a combo of local highway (the kind with stoplights) and surface streets. And Vancouver traffic is as bad as or worse than Seattle/Everett's. The shortest way is through downtown Vancouver but that is also the slowest way. If you do end up driving from Seattle check in with me and I'll show you the fastest way. You also can face lines at the border. It could be 5 minutes (unlikely), or it could be an hour (more likely). If everything goes your way, you can get to Whistler in 4 hours. It also might take 6. Even if you plan so you miss all traffic you are going through 2 major metro areas and there is just so much that can happen to slow you down. So really weigh how much you will save by flying into Seattle. It would have to be a lot for me to recommend doing that.

Christy

Angel Diva
We've gone to Whistler for American Thanksgiving for years and the photos are all popping up on my "On This Day" Facebook feature. Here is one from 4 years ago today. While the last 2 years haven't been as good, Whistler does generally deliver for the early season.

617067_4879601714075_1041667451_o.jpg

alison wong

Angel Diva
@Albertan ski girl - thanks for the advice about train ride. Glad to know it, I will scratch this idea off my plan then.

@Jersey Fresh : where are you flying from? For Alaskan Airline, Baltimore airport to Vancouver is $190 one-way. I will go to WB in March and this fare is not so bad. But the arrival time is bit late, 11:30 pm to Vancouver.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have been to WB at least a half dozen times and only once had bad weather (as in one day of pouring rain). The last time I was there in 2012 it dumped and dumped every day for the entire week. It was wonderful!! I've only stayed at Whistler in different places... Pan Pacific was the best and that was when it was brand new. Restaurants are wonderful... Nothing is cheap but now Canadian $$ is good for Americans...

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alright so we're going. Two weeks after we get back from Banff. LOL! Just happened that I forgot about a business trip the week we were looking and anything later was $$$ so we booked March 1-6 in WB with so far a group of 6. We have about 3-4 who are on the fence but we told them they need to decide by next week so we can find lodging.

Quick question for the native BC'ers. We get into Vancouver around 10pm on the 1st. How bad are the roads at night? Can we drive to WB that late or should we plan to stay near the airport and leave early in the AM?

Jilly

Staff member
It's a major highway, but in the dark might not be fun driving when you haven't been before. Also it hardly snows in Vancouver, but 1/2 way out is another story. Depending on the rental vehicle you have you might not want to drive out in a snow storm.

I'll be there from the 4th...

Christy

Angel Diva
Stay in Vancouver and drive the next morning. 1, it's a beautiful drive and you shouldn't miss it. 2, I don't love driving it in the dark. Parts are not lit and it's mostly undivided and people drive it like maniacs. 3, your body and brain will feel like it's 1 am (and did you account for time in customs)?

It might be nice to stay either in Vancouver proper (the airport is in Richmond) or in North Vancouver. Then you don't have to fight through the city the next morning. But if you can leave before rush hour it's not a big deal.

Jersey Fresh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly awesome maybe we can meet up?
@Christy we will probably stay north of the airport or somewhere up the road a bit. thats what we've done before to at least get out of the city. And no, I didnt forget about customs :smile:

looks like we are up to 11-12. After we only had 4 for CO last year, I didn't think we'd end up with such a big group but I guess everyone is in this year. I'm not sure we'll find a place for everyone, so we may end up doing 8 and 3 (my one friend his and 2 friends who went to CO with us will split off if we cant find a place big enough).

Is there a grocery store near there or should we stay in Vancouver and get stuff before we head up?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga