• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: I am afraid of the bunny hill.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For me, I still get really rattled if there is an icy layer beneath fresh powder
I hate that !! We had a lot of it last season , darn icy layer stuck around all season and it got me a couple of times, skiing along nicely them WHAM !!

AltaEgo

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It is very natural to lose confidence in an injured area even when fully healed. I have been where you are at. My ski journey has included two total knee replacements, a left hip replacement, being hit on the beginner hill while teaching by a kid using his snowboard as a sled, dislocating said hip while buckling a students boot, and returning to skiing three years after having a stroke. Yes, I too have been terrified coming down the bunny hill. This past restart of skiing I started on the magic carpet! But I go back to the basic ski drills I used ro teach, focusing on balance and speed control. As I gain more confidence that my body wont fail me, I ski better. As I have additional experiences with ice, mashed potatoes, and small bumps, I get better. If you want specific exercises, PM me.

BonStarlet

Certified Ski Diva
Best way that I have gained confidence in similar circumstances was to relax and lower my expectations. No one is judging you or looking at you. It can take some time to develop trust, but that is what you need right now. The lesson is a great idea as you won't be alone fearing the worst. You will begin to let go the more you ski without worry. What has always amazed me is that fine line we cross when we realize we are not skiing like we are injured anymore.
THIS 100%. I'm still a bit of a head case some days from my 2020 accident. Not physically limited, but emotionally...the trauma is there. I'm trying to give myself grace, not weigh myself down with expectations - mine or others - and i'm finding the joy again. FINALLY.

Also second the lesson; this has helped. And I did the women's ski camp at Breck this year and it was a TREMENDOUSLY positive experience (that even included a bonus Pow day).

Breathe. Be patient with yourself. Find the joy. Repeat.

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, I love to hear how we all come to grips with these issues. I broke my arm two weeks ago skiing. Weird accident, and I'm out for the season. But I am very excited to get back out there, and until that day I won't know if trepidation will define that first run or not!

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. This week went well.

Monday: finally managed a group lesson, where I was paired with four other intermediates and an instructor who was really receptive to what I needed in a lesson. It was also a near whiteout at the top and falling snow all day, so it was the weird experience of skiing in light fluffy powder and later chewed up powder without being able to see any of the powder.

Things I said I needed to work on: confidence, using turns to control speed, and skiing in bad visibility. Also what the poles are for. After one run the instructor told me I was skiing just fine, which was nice to hear. The rest of the group seemed to think I was much more advanced but I think that was mostly me knowing the mountain really well. Turning in a rhythm regardless of what the mountain was doing seems to have fixed 90% of my issues -- as long as the soft is reasonably soft, just turn. It helped that with 35mph wind gusts there was no point in shopping for turns because there wasn't anything to see. After lunch one of the women who really didn't like the conditions opted for wine so we went to the top and did a bunch of windy black runs.

Wednesday: friend ski with @contesstant ! Warmer temperatures, some falling snow, and the strangest snow conditions I've ever skied. It was deep, but not fluffy, and it felt underfoot like it should be spring snow, but it was kind of sticky. Is this what Sierra cement is like? We had a lot of fun but I think I got an unintentional cardio workout. I apparently can ski soft bumps now.

I still need to feel more comfortable with longer turns without them turning into traverses but I think the lack of light was a speedlimit today.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. This week went well.

Monday: finally managed a group lesson, where I was paired with four other intermediates and an instructor who was really receptive to what I needed in a lesson. It was also a near whiteout at the top and falling snow all day, so it was the weird experience of skiing in light fluffy powder and later chewed up powder without being able to see any of the powder.

Things I said I needed to work on: confidence, using turns to control speed, and skiing in bad visibility. Also what the poles are for. After one run the instructor told me I was skiing just fine, which was nice to hear. The rest of the group seemed to think I was much more advanced but I think that was mostly me knowing the mountain really well. Turning in a rhythm regardless of what the mountain was doing seems to have fixed 90% of my issues -- as long as the soft is reasonably soft, just turn. It helped that with 35mph wind gusts there was no point in shopping for turns because there wasn't anything to see. After lunch one of the women who really didn't like the conditions opted for wine so we went to the top and did a bunch of windy black runs.

Wednesday: friend ski with @contesstant ! Warmer temperatures, some falling snow, and the strangest snow conditions I've ever skied. It was deep, but not fluffy, and it felt underfoot like it should be spring snow, but it was kind of sticky. Is this what Sierra cement is like? We had a lot of fun but I think I got an unintentional cardio workout. I apparently can ski soft bumps now.

I still need to feel more comfortable with longer turns without them turning into traverses but I think the lack of light was a speedlimit today.
You killed it today! That was some of the crappiest snow after about 10:30 a.m. (until the sun came out after lunch) that I have EVER skied! Now we need @Sheena to join us next time.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Turning in a rhythm regardless of what the mountain was doing seems to have fixed 90% of my issues -- as long as the soft is reasonably soft, just turn. It helped that with 35mph wind gusts there was no point in shopping for turns because there wasn't anything to see.
This happened to me a few years ago at Taos - visibility was bad, snow was soft, no pint in shopping, keep a rhythm - I said all the same things. Would be nice if I could remember it all the time, lol!

Jenny

Angel Diva
So, I love to hear how we all come to grips with these issues. I broke my arm two weeks ago skiing. Weird accident, and I'm out for the season. But I am very excited to get back out there, and until that day I won't know if trepidation will define that first run or not!
Ooh, too bad about the break. Hope all goes well in healing.

Sheena

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You killed it today! That was some of the crappiest snow after about 10:30 a.m. (until the sun came out after lunch) that I have EVER skied! Now we need @Sheena to join us next time.
Sounds like a breakthrough kind of day! I would love to get together. I will be up Friday. And with my kids on Mon/Tues next week.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a note in solidarity with all that’s been said above. I’ve lost both ACLs to skiing, one year after the next. This was more than 5-6 years ago now but I’m still a complete head case. I’m so slow and cautious I’m forever getting left behind. I think/feel I’m going fast but I’m always getting left behind. I wish I could ski harder blues but I always come away feeling like I haven’t enjoyed myself when I dip into steeper terrain. So sometimes I have to remind myself that cruising the greens and ending the day with my quads not burning and with the same number of bones and ligaments I started with is perfectly respectable.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a note in solidarity with all that’s been said above. I’ve lost both ACLs to skiing, one year after the next. This was more than 5-6 years ago now but I’m still a complete head case. I’m so slow and cautious I’m forever getting left behind. I think/feel I’m going fast but I’m always getting left behind. I wish I could ski harder blues but I always come away feeling like I haven’t enjoyed myself when I dip into steeper terrain. So sometimes I have to remind myself that cruising the greens and ending the day with my quads not burning and with the same number of bones and ligaments I started with is perfectly respectable.

I'm always the slowest one in the pack. I've been skiing for 11 years now. I'm not an addrenaline person and am not into speed. I am likely the most cautious skier you'll ever meet. Everyone I ski with is ahead of me and they all wait for me. Over time they wait less nowadays but I'm never first in the pack to get anywhere. I've been nailed from behind before so I often prefer to not have anyone in back of me anyway. I ski blacks ocassionally depending on conditions but spend most of my days on steeper blues. I have a group I ski with where we are all very similar with similar patterns. We all generally like the same stuff so that helps. If we ever venture over to to the black diamonds it's usually at one of their suggestions but because we like the same stuff if they suggest it then I know the conditions must be decent so I go. This helps me a lot. At the end of the day as long as you are having fun who cares what you are skiing on :smile:

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was watching a doco on the Finke desert race on Netflix the other day, and one of the people on it said something that really resonated: "the hardest part of the entire course is the four inches between your ears"

I'm really hoping to take that on board next time I'm on the slopes and freezing up because speed / steep / ice / whatever I know I can actually deal with but brain saying "Noooooooo....."

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was watching a doco on the Finke desert race on Netflix the other day, and one of the people on it said something that really resonated: "the hardest part of the entire course is the four inches between your ears"

I'm really hoping to take that on board next time I'm on the slopes and freezing up because speed / steep / ice / whatever I know I can actually deal with but brain saying "Noooooooo....."
My hubby always says "the top 2 inches makes the player", its a line I've heard from him .... a lot !! :laughter:

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Such a good day yesterday! Powder Mountain was uncrowded, wonderful, and the 10yo and I explored a lot. We're coming off three days of high winds so everything was windblown and crusty, but softening nicely in the sun.

It is a flatter mountain than Snowbasin for the most part and less ..run-oriented, in that it felt like for the most part, only the green runs were signed, and everything else was choose-your-own adventure. But there is a lot more intermediate terrain, including intermediate trees, which is something I want to learn how to do.

Both of my knees were aching but in the I'm -forty-something-with-cranky-patellas sense. Everything seems to be fine. I'm still unwilling to let it rip, but that was mostly an unfamiliar mountain and chopped up afternoon snow.

I am going to have to become a finesse skier to keep doing this, though.

Kiddo, after seven weeks of lessons best describes as "following a teenager down steeps for five hours" now has a legit carve. High edge angles, parallel shins, great forward position, and he would have you know that I am slow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna