• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hurricane Sandy

abc

Banned
It's a bit spooky... I'm technically working from home. So I'm on this group IM conference all day. I can see one by one my co-workers drops off, with a report a while later they lost power. Until there's only 2 of us left on the chat...

I hope the power stay on long enough that I can have a hot dinner. Otherwise it's cold cereal for dinner and breakfast...

Soujan

Angel Diva
I live on Long Island and I cooked dinner last night cause I knew I would be stuck at work until Tuesday afternoon. By the time they allow me to leave, the weather would be too bad for me to travel home. I will be sleeping at work. So I made dinner for me and my fiance, who is at home with the dog. So far, the power is still on at my house.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Report from Saratoga County, NY...We still have power and internet, but judging from the way the trees are bending, we won't have it for long. The leaves are swirling in little tornadoes in the side yard. Not so much rain, but the wind is crazy strong. I have the flashlight in my pocket so I can start the generator and connect it up. Pot roast with lots of veggies cooking on the gas stove. I have red wine, my iPad is charged, the gas cans are lined up next to the generator, so Sandy, bring it. I'm ready for you.

My 94 year old mom who lives with me, not so much. She gets so frightened by storms and all of the news reports are not helping her stress levels. Poor mom.

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Huh, the rain and wind just died down here in northern Delaware. The map shows the eye is passing over us. Hopefully this is the only time in my life I will be in the center of a hurricane. Power has flickered but hasn't gone out yet. I expect to lose power for several days.

We have a beach house on the water on a back bay in southern Delaware. Our security cameras show that the water is well over the dock and 1/2 up the lawn which means that it is about 2 feet from our house. High tide is in a little over 2 hours. Ugh. It should help that the storm is north of there so the winds are against the storm surge. Hopefully?

We have a state wide driving ban so my employees weren't able to come in to our veterinary hospital. We have a number of boarding animals and my kids and I have been in several times to feed and walk them. Well, open the door, stand under the overhang while the leashed dogs run to the grass, squat and run back. Only the yellow lab actually wanted to go for a walk. Goofy labs!

Coming home we saw someone on a scooter on the road.

Wish us luck!

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just saw on Facebook that my neighbourhood is being evacuated right now. I'm thinking I'm a few miles from the Potomac, so I can't imagine how bad it is. I'm glad to be in Iowa. Hope everyone in sandy's path is doing ok.

Marigee

Angel Diva
Too funny. I just started cooking dinner NOW. Figured I better, before the power goes off.

I was thinking the same thing and cooked dinner early.

Lots of rain and wind here. Big puddles in depressions in the yard. No trees down in my neighborhood so far. I've been inside all day and DH too - almost all businesses in D.C. closed today. My oldest son WALKED to work today. He had to call his roommate to pick him up at the end of the day because the winds were so strong he was afraid to cross the street. He lives and works in the Tyson's Corner area in Northern VA. I asked him if he had not seen the weather reports and he said "it didn't seem too bad this morning." Youth.

abc

Banned
Holy crow, it sounds like a jet engine out there!!!!!
Yeah, scary sound! Brought back memory of typhoon in the Pacific (I grew up on that side of the world).

Just finished cooking dinner. Whether I can finish eating it without resorting to candlelight is still the question... lights been flickering every few seconds! :eek:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
The winds are HOWLING. Weirdly, our power came back on...go figure. That's never happened before. Usually, our power goes off at every little thunderstorm or windstorm, or just randomly. So, we turned off the generator but it's ready to go when the power goes off again.

I've never heard winds like this. Luckily, the snowstorm last October took down a lot of the weakest trees/branches. And, we cut down more. Still, I'm nervous. The eye is moving inland just south of us but we are still in a very strong wind band. Yowzers. I had to drug up my one dog with Benadryl so he wouldn't freak out!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only the yellow lab actually wanted to go for a walk. Goofy labs!

Lol!

Yeah, Becky, you are better off where you are. Even though we're not in an evacuation zone, I've a bunch of friends who are discovering window leaks and one friend's ceiling is starting to collapse... :(

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Poor puppy! That kind of wind is very scary. Everybody be safe! I just got off the phone with my parents, who're in Fairfield CT. Seaside Park is apparently getting hammered, but my folks are up in the hills inland. Dad was getting worried about the wind. He loves storms like I do, so if he's getting worried you know there's something worrisome going on. And that's Connecticut.

The eye of a hurricane is really neat so long as the headwalls are well-defined. It's eerily still and the sky looks weird. Just be sure to stay very close to shelter and run inside the minute you feel a breeze, because the following headwall comes on strong and fast!

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here, too. The 100-ft trees all around my house worry me. :frown:

We have two very tall pines right near our house. At least a 50% chance of hitting us if one comes down. Toss up between hitting our bedroom or the 3 kids' bedrooms. Debating whether to pull out the sleeping bags for the basement, LOL...

I can't really see them coming down, except do you remember that storm we got about 3 years ago that blew through and left dozens of pines uprooted? It was mind-boggling to see - but I guess pines have shallow root systems.

Fortunately, or not, depending - it's currently more windy here than rainy. Our sump pump hasn't even gone on - so I'm feeling hopeful for surviving unscathed even if we do lose power.

Our lights have barely flickered, and yet my sister in NH has been powerless for about 4 hours and my in-laws near Boston have been in the dark for several hours already as well...

Thinking good thoughts for those on the sore - and indeed all coastal areas...

Jilly

Staff member
Really windy here, and I'm thinking along the same lines at MofR's. I'm worried about trees coming down. Especially at the cottage. But the wind isn't suppose to be as bad up there. I'll be making a phone call first thing in the morning for sure!

We lost a tree last March in a wind storm, so there is only 1 left in the back yard and its keeps scratching my office window!

Delawhere

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of months ago we had a four foot diameter tree come down. Looking at remnants of the tree, it should have come down straight onto our house, specifically my FIL's bedroom where he was sleeping. It must have been the hand of God that brushed it to the side, where the branches only scraped the corner of the house.

In the meantime the wind is picking up again...

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We miraculously somehow still have power. Have seen a few blue flashes in the sky, which are transformers blowing. Winds are howling, lights are flickering, and rain is blowing sideways right now.

Weather Channel reporting that there is 3 ft. of water INSIDE the New York Stock Exchange. :eek:]

ETA: Or maybe not? Now they someone saying it is dry there. Maybe they said/meant another building? Rumor gone wrong?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Weather Channel reporting that there is 3 ft. of water INSIDE the New York Stock Exchange. :eek:]

ETA: Or maybe not? Now they someone saying it is dry there. Maybe they said/meant another building? Rumor gone wrong?

Just heard on The Weather Channel that that's not true. Though many streets in the city are under water, and there's four feet of water inside some of the subway tunnels. What a mess!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga