• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How to start a nearly 3 yo?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter is so excited about her new skis and can't wait to start. What's the best way to start her? She did get out a few times on cross country skis last season and amazed me with how she just took off on them and even side stepped up small mounds of snow naturally.

Do I just walk out in boots to the magic carpet with her? Or is it better to be on skis? Is the mobility of tele skis best, or is it better to be a role model on alpine?

Should I just bite the bullet and sign her up for ski school? (Both DH and I are pretty good skiers and DH taught lesson in high school.) My biggest worry about ski school is that she is newly potty trained and still naps and it just seems like even the 4 hour half days are a LONG time. She also can't start for over a month til she's three and I'd like to harness her enthusiasm and get her out sooner.

I don't want to push her and make it not fun. I'd rather do a few fun runs followed by soup at her favorite restaurant.

I'd love any tips!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd like to get information on this topic also. I have a very adventurous 3 yr. old granddaughter who might love to ski or snowboard. I've already outfitted her for the slopes, but have not quite determined what is the best way to get her started. I was thinking I'd enroll her in the Ski Wee lesson and see how she does. Not certain how well she will pay attention to the instruction!

Jilly

Staff member
Lessons are best. One, instructors are trained to teach children. The methodology is different than a teen or adult. Second, they are prepared for potty stops, cold feet/hands, emotional break downs, etc.

Our "smurfs" program and even the older kids get a hot chocolate break after 1 hour (our sessions were only 2). So they are not out there for the total time (Lizzy - have they changed this yet at Batawa?)

But I can understand you Moonrocket not wanting to wait till the magic birthday appears. Do not just walk over to the magic carpet. She may have been on XC, but Alpine is different with the locked in heels. So first just walk around the base, NO POLES either. Get used to the idea of sliding, not lifting, all the sights and sounds of the area too. Then a little grade in a safe area, so she can slide forward. Walk (or pull her) up a little further and slide. Try introducing the snow plow stop (Pizza is the visual word here) then back to straight running (Fries is the visual here). Next is small changes of direction and visual aides are great here and why many places have "magic forests" or playgrounds for these kids.

Actually Katy would be better to explain the progression then me. I only teach adults anymore. She had itri's little guy going in no time.

Jilly

Staff member
Don't expect anything to happen fast here either. You may spend a whole lot of time just getting her sliding on a slight grade. She'll be cold, hungry, tired and want to be picked up after every fall. Plug away at it. We need to know that the next generation of Diva's are coming up.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you do decide on lessons, I'd be suprised if you were looking at 4 hr half-day lessons for your 3 year old. My experience - albeit limited - is that ski school and the daycare operation are not necessarily the same thing... that ski school usually starts at age 4 or up, but younger than that, you're looking at the daycare option. Lots of those have either just daycare or daycare+ski where the kids spend the day in the daycare and still get a "snow lesson" or a ski lesson that's more like an hour or so rather than the half day... but if you need special lunches, or still a nap, or help with potty skills, that's not the forte of most ski schools - that's a daycare function, and the staff is appropriately trained for all that.

Also, from what I've seen, even if the ski school would put a 3 year old in a class, they take into account that a group full of kids that young won't get much out of that long a day... so they take breaks to play in the snow or have hot chocolate or whatever. So the half day isn't going to be that long of an actual lesson per se. Last thing - the ski schools are not set up to provide entertainment for the kids when they are taking a break - so maybe they have some crayons, but in general the kids are not going to be in a facility geared for toddlers and kiddie entertainment when they are not on the snow.

Personally I'm all for ski school - but DH and I didn't have your experience on the snow - also, skiing for us was a full vacation, not just a weekend affair, and we really needed some time sans kids, which the daycare provided (while still getting the kids out as well).

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Jilly is wise.

Talk to your local ski school to see what options there are for that age. The instructors/day care workers at most kids programs have gobs of experience and lots of tips and tricks that would never occur to the parents to help make little ones pretty independent while still having tons of fun. You'll all be happier and your back will thank you.

mustski

Angel Diva
We started our son at 4 yo. The instructors were awesome and the 1/2 day went like this:
arrival and play inside with the other kids for 40 mins
Snack 15 mins
getting back into snow clothes and ski boots 2o mins
lesson 1 & 1/2 hr.
Snow play 1/2 hr
Back inside for another snack and hot chocolate and more play with other kids.

Yes, it was mostly daycare but he learned to snow plow and stop the first day and we skied the bunny run with him twice in the afternoon. They had given him an "edgie-wedgie" to use and he refused to even try without so I bought one. No big deal, it gave him confidence. His experience was pleasant every time but one. He still skis with us; he is 15 yo, advanced, and loves it. He only ditches us when we bring a friend up with us.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for the advice! Both Winter Park and Copper where we have passes have lessons starting at 3 years. I even called Copper today as they have 50% off private lessons going on now and they said they can't bend their 3 yo minimum. She is pretty well potty trained - she hasn't had an accident in months and is considered potty trained at daycare- I'm just worried about the distance to some of the learning areas - she will tell you when she has to go - I just don't know how well she can hold it if she's far from a potty. When she's having fun- I have to reminder her to use it. The description above makes me feel better about the half day option. I just wish there was a half day morning option. I just don't want her getting grumpy from missing a nap and having less patience.

The nice thing about having passes is I'm fine with spending 10 minutes or an hour out there. Our daughter has already spent a lot of time at the Winter Park base area and has a favorite restaurant and has cross country skied around the base while my husband I were taking turns- so the environment is not new to her. She liked bringing her skis too last year.

We can wait a month and a half for a lesson- but if we're up there I'd like to let her give it a try- since she'll be pretty sad if we go skiing and she can't use her new skis. I know it's not right away- but she's pretty excited about getting to ride the chairlift again (we did it during the summer.)

mustski

Angel Diva
No morning option? That is too bad because you are right ... grumpy rules the afternoon for most kids. Hopefully she will be having so much fun, she won't care.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Although it was a bazillion years ago for me and kid, I did have the same basic time line as you & DD with respect to b-day (although mine couldn’t start with program until pushing 5). Started him out at near-3 with just fun slide and stop, play, etc. It thus became easier to gauge his tolerance, warmth level, the need for “pit stops”/intervals for same. An hour, max, at first. Did have a couple of on-snow melt downs that first season – but survived! I’d say go with alpine set-up, as it will be a visual for her to mimic. Lots of breaks, lots of applause, minor treat-rewards > and take lots of pics!
Much luck. Years from now, you’ll cherish the memories!
ry%3D400

mustski

Angel Diva
Although it was a bazillion years ago for me and kid, I did have the same basic time line as you & DD with respect to b-day (although mine couldn’t start with program until pushing 5). Started him out at near-3 with just fun slide and stop, play, etc. It thus became easier to gauge his tolerance, warmth level, the need for “pit stops”/intervals for same. An hour, max, at first. Did have a couple of on-snow melt downs that first season – but survived! I’d say go with alpine set-up, as it will be a visual for her to mimic. Lots of breaks, lots of applause, minor treat-rewards > and take lots of pics!
Much luck. Years from now, you’ll cherish the memories!
ry%3D400
Awesome pic! It's one of those memories that parents truly cherish!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thanks. :smile: One of my favorite pics of DH & DS, taken by my (late) dad. Son was about 3 weeks past his 3rd b-day. Loved the snow and cold, didn't mind the boots or skis but had no use for his edges until age 4. It was major straight-line! (Fortunately, not far to fall?) Also had a few "we almost made it to the bathroom in time" incidents. :doh::laughter:Won't be funny when it happens (be prepared!), but in retrospect, wow > hilarious.

mustski

Angel Diva
Thanks. :smile: One of my favorite pics of DH & DS, taken by my (late) dad. Son was about 3 weeks past his 3rd b-day. Loved the snow and cold, didn't mind the boots or skis but had no use for his edges until age 4. It was major straight-line! (Fortunately, not far to fall?) Also had a few "we almost made it to the bathroom in time" incidents. :doh::laughter:Won't be funny when it happens (be prepared!), but in retrospect, wow > hilarious.
It's all part of "ski parenting" and most of my favorite memories occurred on the mountain. Including the day he ditched his lesson at Mammoth (yikes!) because he didn't like playing "red light-green light!" FYI, he was 5 yrs old and took off on his own!

Matoaka

Certified Ski Diva
I always liked the reference to "squishing a bug" with your toes to get little kids to turn. It makes it fun for kids to imagine and the pressure makes them turn with out even thinking about it. Ski backwards in front of them to keep them from getting away from you.:redface:

skimamma

Certified Ski Diva
Moonrocket--

You will have so much fun with you daughter! My dd was 2 1/2 when she started to ski (March BD). The same year, my twins, age 6 were learning also. The learning curve is obviously longer with a 2-3 year old; but, so worth it in the long run. My advice has nothing to do with actual skiing ... but here is my 2 cents.

When my kids were learning, my motto was, I want them to throw a tantrum because they want to stay and ski, not because they have to ski. (Yes, I did have to drag them off the hill sometimes because the 2 year old was tired!) We skied every Saturday & Sunday all season long. But, some days were very short.

Looking back, as a parent it is your job to be a roll model and an encourager. It is important to teach her skiing is fun! And, more importantly, she should learn you think skiing WITH HER is fun! At 2-4 they will follow all that you do. It sounds like you have the right mindset....patience!

To give you a little idea where they have ended up...2 of the 3 are now racers. All three LOVE to hike and ski the trees (they hiked up at Powder Mountain without me already this year). They all volunteer to carry my gear. AND, they are very willing to wait for me. They can basically ski anything. They are only 13, 13, & 9. The 9 year old can keep up quite well with the 13 year olds. She doesn't remember not being able to ski! She is fanatical about racing, as is her older sister. The twins help me tune the skis. Now, all three are encouraging me to become a ski instructor. Not sure if I agree with them....we will see (not this year).

As a parent, I am proud of them. But, more importantly, they KNOW I am proud of them and enjoy skiing with them. Ski school is great. Ski instructors & race coaches are much better for them than me. But, use it as a tool. (We used to book a lesson for them, then let them practice for a few days skiing with us.) If you want your kids to want to ski with you when they can out ski you, wait for them now...you get what you give.

I am jealous! It was so fun with the little ones...but, it is fun now too! Enjoy every moment!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I am jealous! It was so fun with the little ones...but, it is fun now too! Enjoy every moment!
^^^ +++ this.
Watching the progress, experiencing the milestones those first few years, was lovely. Only heart-stopping moment: 2--5 year olds on a double chair :eek: (if a short one - still....)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Definitely the wee ones school! My daughter is turning 6 in Feb and we started her 2 seasons ago in lessons. She was not very strong at the time and ended up spending more time in day care, but last year, especially at the end of the season, she began to LOVE it and has asked me all summer when we are going skiing :banana: I bought her some new skis and boots that just arrived (last year's stuff, great deals) and she put them on last night and "skied" around the living room.

So my advice is if they are not QUITE there yet, opt for daycare because they grow so quickly, they might be ready for it by the end of this winter, you never know!

On that note, we are selling her tiny white Nordica Nordy boots BSL of 203, size 14 mondo if anyone is interested :D

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My son will be four in January and we are bringing him out to Breck for the first time. We opted not to bring him last season when he had just turned three simply because he was still mastering the potty training thing. He was strong enough physically, but seemed to be going through a little regressive phase.​
That said, Breck has an amazing program exclusively for three year olds. They offer one-on-one instruction that is truly customized to your little one. They start with yoga stretching, then snack, then gearing up followed by one hour or so of outdoor time in the morning. At lunch they come back in, eat, play, rest, stretch some more, gear back up and head out for another hour. This allows the kids to learn at their own pace and ability. It's not cheap, but I think you get what you pay for!​
At four, group classes at Breck start. We'll be dropping off the little guy every morning so he can start the process of learning to "ski like Daddy".​

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you for all of the wonderful advice and stories. I am so excited to spend time with her on the mountain!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga