• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How 'smart' do you want to be?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I recently saw a Kickstarter campaign for a 'smart' helmet; it has a camera, helmet-to-helmet communication, plus all sorts of sensors that track all kinds of stuff.

I know there are apps that tell you how many runs you've done, your vertical, your average speed, etc. And devices you wear on your wrist that do the same.

So I guess my question is: what do you think of a helmet like this? Or other smart devices? Or is it just TMI (or too much stuff)?

I think its cool and I'd love this. I know some folks use apps for some of this data now so since you should be wearing a helmet anyway you won't need anything extra.

Jilly

Staff member
Yes, out of my price range too. And I'm not sure I'd use it much. I've only taken video X2 with the go-pro. I forget to turn on Trace. I'd probably forget to turn these things on too.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think its cool and I'd love this. I know some folks use apps for some of this data now so since you should be wearing a helmet anyway you won't need anything extra.
Yes, but I'd still carry a phone or a radio with me. Too much technology for me, besides the :eek: cost.

Yeah the cost thing absolutely. I should have replied with the caveat great concept but I'm frugal so I will never own one. I always carry my phone with me as well.

mustski

Angel Diva
I think that helmet-helmet communication could be valuable for BC skiers. I'm just guessing because that's not me. I don't even want to text, have music, or anything else. If I'm meeting up with someone the phone is handy though.

Ice Ninja

Certified Ski Diva
I now see a future where we might have google glass type technology in goggles and car windshields - super handy to see your speed on your windscreen I suppose, and in helmet might be nice to be able to pull up a map of the domain if you're in unfamiliar territory, or to have new weather warnings come up if something suddenly hits. It would be nice to have in helmet walkie talkie, or maybe VHF for further range to communicate not only with your group immediately where there's no cell service, but also be able to radio right away for help if anything goes awry. I could also see a smart helmet evolving to have an avvy beacon built right in, maybe with patroller models having heat sensors for faster digging. I think these kinds of things are cost prohibitive to almost all of us at the moment, but who knows what kinds of things we might see becoming standard features in the future!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Yikes. Seems like something with that kind of price tag could be theft-worthy...? : ( As it is, the sheer number of costly phones that lie beneath lifts is scary...

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^ and what if you drop it? I hate dropping my helmet but it's happened...all that technology.

shnu

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At the moment I can't imagine that this is something I will get. But I am not a person who is using tracking app/technology or have the need to post on social media about it. We take pictures and film. I might take some notes of how the day was, where we have been, weather, skis I used, snow. Until now this was enough.

I did not read all the information on that helmet. But this would be another thing to think of in case of (hopefully never going to happen!!!) using a beacon as it might interfere with the signal.

And the design is not my cup of tea :smile:

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's a bit gimmicky, but I really like the idea of helmet-to-helment communication where you have a built in microphone and the whole group can speak to each other on their own frequency just by pressing a button on the side. Very useful for skiing in groups, especially in whiteouts - and maybe even for keeping track of kids. It makes me think of that poor child who got lost, fell off a cliff and died in Flaine. Maybe this technology would have found him before that happened.

As for built in video, I think most people who want to do that have Go Pros (I hardly use mine now!), and everyone will still carry phones to take photos, call people and record skiing stats if that's their thing.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope. Yeah, we have days when we are all kitted out with radios and GoPros, but it's nice to have an option of not carrying it all on your head all the time.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think that helmet-helmet communication could be valuable for BC skiers. I'm just guessing because that's not me. I don't even want to text, have music, or anything else. If I'm meeting up with someone the phone is handy though.

It's a bit gimmicky, but I really like the idea of helmet-to-helment communication where you have a built in microphone and the whole group can speak to each other on their own frequency just by pressing a button on the side. Very useful for skiing in groups, especially in whiteouts - and maybe even for keeping track of kids.

Yeah, I'm not that interested in all the extras, but headset radio communication sounds great for finding lost lambs. Unfortunately, that requires that everyone have that gear, and it seems inevitable that those who are most prone to getting lost will be those without the gear - murphy's law.

I would be surprised if you can't get a handheld radio with an earpiece to do 95% of what the helmet to helmet communication does.

mustski

Angel Diva
I used the radio earpieces backstage for years. It was much recommended by biker friends. They just didn't survive 12 and 13 year olds so I reverted to "no communication, know your job, problem solve."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna