• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How many days have you skied so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 watching the cats snack on the runs at night when we stayed at the base of Big Sky (a long, long time ago) was a favorite of mine as a child. Our trips out there depended on whether or not my dad was attending a conference in any given year; fortunate to get out there just enough to get a wonderful start to basics via their super-positive and technical ski school. Fargo, ND was too flat to pick up too many bad habits between vacations!

Decided to rest my hip instead of skiing today. I'll go out tomorrow once the roads aren't junk. We're supposed to get snow!!!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 watching the cats snack on the runs at night when we stayed at the base of Big Sky (a long, long time ago) was a favorite of mine as a child. Our trips out there depended on whether or not my dad was attending a conference in any given year; fortunate to get out there just enough to get a wonderful start to basics via their super-positive and technical ski school. Fargo, ND was too flat to pick up too many bad habits between vacations!

Decided to rest my hip instead of skiing today. I'll go out tomorrow once the roads aren't junk. We're supposed to get snow!!!
Thanks for sharing your sweet story.
Enjoy your day on the hill tomorrow.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly, if you are an East coast skier I say get some good waterproof gear (or poncho or trash bag) and embrace skiing in the rain. Seems more common in recent season.. also the snow is usually fabulous and the mountain empty.
I have no problem and skiing in the rain. But I have a problem with not having any snow for the rain to soften! My favorite skis are sitting it out for a while.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have no problem and skiing in the rain. But I have a problem with not having any snow for the rain to soften! My favorite skis are sitting it out for a while.

It stinks, but they'll make more snow.. again. Sunday River lost a lot, but also still had a lot when I was there Saturday.. and they will be blowing at any opportunity that comes now going forward. They had the guns on yesterday even though the majority of this week will be crappy too. I don't get overly worried in the East until we've passed MLK weekend by. I've definitely seen things go from total crap to spectacular for the rest of the season around then in the past. Still time to turn things around, and hopefully the weather trends will change for the second half of the month in a colder direction as some are speculating.

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 7! Nearly empty. Strange wintry rain/sleet/graupel/chunky-snow mix hovering right around freezing. 3 runs of creamy untouched snow midday where you could actually see things. Runs on either side of that time were a wild grab bag. Highlight might have been making a tiny snowman on one of the chairlifts, which then slid upside-down hanging from the outside corner of our chair. We saw the snowdude later on the next ride up, still chilling out in the same position.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
3 and only because we still drove 23 hours to Breckenridge after southwest cancelled our flights. Our home mountains here in PA were doing well and the rain this week is killing them. So probably won't get any more turns in until Jan 17th when I head back to colorado to ski Beavercreek and Vail

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 8!
Ski skills training night with the Welch patrol. The drive down was misty/rainy; despite the slush in the parking lot, the snow on the hill was creamy and absolutely fun to ski. Great for drills -- just thick enough to be a small challenge, but not catchy at all. Very few people out on the hill. Helped the night crew sweep. Finished it off with a run down Chicken (one of our steeps), smile plastered on my face :smile:

Aaaand... it's snowing again now! *Happy dance*

shadoj

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 I envy your ability to get out so frequently! Thanks for letting us lower-elevation-lower-snow folks live vicariously through your season. My sister used to teach at Aspen (snowboarding); I dedicated a half-day lesson to learning the one year I got to visit. I respect snowboarders immensely. I am still a skier, haha!

shadoj

Angel Diva
Day 9! 6 hours on the hill, minus lunch break and an end delay. Gotta build that Diva East endurance...

Had a decent night in firm conditions; got to ski with some patrollers I hadn't taken laps with before. Was sliding backwards into park (my fav way of finishing off a night) in front of the ski rack by HQ after my last run, only to hear "Ski Patrol!" (erk, I'm a Mountain Host) behind me. Poor racer got clobbered by an out-of-control-dude (not official, FYI) while standing on a visible rise at the base watching friends finish up the night. Did what I do best: speed-skated over there with a patroller in boots running behind me and became a traffic cone.

I'm really nervous about waaaay too many collisions these past few years. It's kinda insane. It could've been really, really bad tonight. Don't even know if the offender was even stopped :(

Anyhow. Tomorrow is ski-love-wax day. And a nice warm bath for me :smile:

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
@Mudgirl630 I envy your ability to get out so frequently! Thanks for letting us lower-elevation-lower-snow folks live vicariously through your season. My sister used to teach at Aspen (snowboarding); I dedicated a half-day lesson to learning the one year I got to visit. I respect snowboarders immensely. I am still a skier, haha!
Well, I am an official ski bum. I ski every day(volunteer as an ambassador one day a week). I live to ski in Aspen. I live somewhere else outside of the ski seasons. Not interested in any of the flashy side of this town. Just that skiing here is unbeatable. There are many great mountains to ski in north America, but most, if not 99.9%, of the towns near by are horrible. Here, we got a great quaint real town. I am grateful.

shadoj

Angel Diva
A rare, clearish day! I still want to go back to Whitefish. Have such great memories of riding the Amtrak from Fargo up there with my family as a kid. Whiteout at base, but the chairlift would bring you to bluebird above the clouds. Freaked my mom out, who slid on her butt partway down one of the gnarlier blues in low visibility. I was young and had no off-switch then, so just wanted to go until close ;)

shadoj

Angel Diva
Well, I am an official ski bum. I ski every day(volunteer as an ambassador one day a week). I live to ski in Aspen. I live somewhere else outside of the ski seasons. Not interested in any of the flashy side of this town. Just that skiing here is unbeatable. There are many great mountains to ski in north America, but most, if not 99.9%, of the towns near by are horrible. Here, we got a great quaint real town. I am grateful.
Yeah, for all the money that flows in, the workers are often super-poor: but, everyone makes it work somehow. It's an interesting mix: everyone is drawn together for their sheer love of the mountains, and I felt super-welcomed despite the stereotypes the one time I visited. Great melting-pot of arts and food and culture drawn in as a result. Top-Notch. Again: super-envy ;) Keep on posting!

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Yeah, for all the money that flows in, the workers are often super-poor: but, everyone makes it work somehow. It's an interesting mix: everyone is drawn together for their sheer love of the mountains, and I felt super-welcomed despite the stereotypes the one time I visited. Great melting-pot of arts and food and culture drawn in as a result. Top-Notch. Again: super-envy ;) Keep on posting!
Thank you!
There are many incredibly wealthy people here. The cheapest free standing little house is about $17 million in the core of the town. I know some of them, who are locals, are extremely generous people. This guy who was at the vet at the same time with this sweet lady who had to put a cat to sleep after trying everything to save her quietly took care of her bills. The vet bill was about $6000. This sweet guy heard the hardship of this lady, but he did not even know this lady. It is not an rare occasion. I remember someone paying for one of the restaurants' property tax that they could not cover. The commercial rents and cost per square ft for condos in Aspen are beyond crazy. It is tough for many business to survive. But it is a real community. We are extremely caring community with many very friendly people in it regardless of the economical standings.
Thanks again for your kind words.

Last edited:

newbieM

Angel Diva
First day of skiing! Was at powder mountain and it was a glorious blue bird day. BF has plenty of fresh tracks on Lightning ridge and I had a ton of wide beautiful terrain all to myself.

Every muscle in my body hurts. Today I was way too stiff and I need to get back into shape. But it was GLORIOUS being outside in the mountains surrounded by all this glimmering snow. I am one lucky gal!

I think i need to invest in some new boots and a proper fitting. The toes on my left foot felt crushed when I took them out at the end of the day. Also the back of my shin (between my calf and heel) felt like it was bruised and hurting. I’ve never had the back of my leg hurt. It is the foot that I hurt the ankle on in March so I bet I was doing something funky with my form to cause that.

my goal for this year is to get out of my head and not to be too hard on myself. I tried that today. I had some runs that just sucked but I had others that were amazing. So far it was a wonderful start.

Attachments

• B0944843-642C-4D6D-AF13-1181E18FA2F0.jpeg
    B0944843-642C-4D6D-AF13-1181E18FA2F0.jpeg
    679.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 110D4358-3F14-4776-AD2E-76E07A908820.jpeg
    110D4358-3F14-4776-AD2E-76E07A908820.jpeg
    496.2 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics