• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

how do you carry your skis?

alr

Certified Ski Diva
Pardon me if this has been asked many times in the past, but I need some help with this! I have recently returned to skiing after a 10+ year hiatus when I was only snowboarding. When I skied before, I no problem carrying my straight long skis. Now I have rather curvy skis with integrated bindings, combined with a small boot, so almost every time I pick up my skis to carry them on my shoulder they either: 1) scissor apart and or 2) begin to slide away from each other front to back.

I have been observing other people in their carrying habits, and I notice many people put the flat part of the ski between the toe and heel pieces of the binding on their shoulder. For me with my tiny boots and integrated binding, this hurts a lot and doesn't really fit on my shoulder. the other method i have seen is to have the entire binding behind the shoulder again carrying on the flat side. I tried this today, and it was okay, but I think my bindings are relatively far forward so I felt a little precarious with so much ski behind me and up in the air.

My first inclination to help with this problem is to get a strap to keep them secure to each other, but no shop I walked into in Squaw Valley had such a device! What to do? I am still here skiing and still rather ineptly carrying my skis.

Mitch09

Certified Ski Diva
Hello Air and welcome back to skiing!

The easiest way to carry your skis is with the tips forward and the bindings behind your shoulder. Once up on your shoulder, put your arm over the front part of the skis so that the tails are up in the air (ie on an angle so you don't take out peoples heads behind you). You also need to look at which way your brakes overlap so that once on your shoulder the top ski doesn't slide forward but rather is held by the brakes of the other ski.

There are velcro straps with foam liners that stop your skis from sliding apart sideways....usually cost $3-5 each if you can find them. The last time I got my skis waxed...the shop actually put a free one on my skis when they returned them.

Good luck with your skis!

DobeMom

Certified Ski Diva
I don't carry my skis over my shoulder because I'm afraid that I would accidentally whack someone/something with them (seen enough people who carry this way but oblivious to their surroundings and folks behind them having to avoid being hit). I clasp the skis together and carry them vertically, next to my body, with one hand under the toe binding (making sure I'm supporting the skis whose brakes are supporting the other skis).

Jilly

Staff member
I carry mine with the middle of the binding heel forward, toe back, on my shoulder. I've tried Mitch09's way and there just seems to be too much ski behind me. Also make sure your brakes are locked together. Most ski shops give away the straps either when you buy the skis or get serviced.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
^+1. Though I have been told I'm carrying my skis "the wrong way." Heck, is there a wrong way? I think what counts is how you ski 'em, not how you carry 'em. One way or another, just get them to the hill. :smile:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^+1. Though I have been told I'm carrying my skis "the wrong way." Heck, is there a wrong way? I think what counts is how you ski 'em, not how you carry 'em. One way or another, just get them to the hill. :smile:
+2. Except off the shuttle bus to the base. (major rant ahead) WISH that more people, in tight group situations, would just carry their skis more UPRIGHT instead of having tips or tails wayyyy out there, and then rotating around with moving projectiles. Duh, Hel-LO!

And velcro straps should be relatively easy to find (many are promotional/printed), although one configuration or the other of bases together should "lock" the brakes so skis don't "scissor."

marzNC

Angel Diva
There are velcro straps with foam liners that stop your skis from sliding apart sideways....usually cost $3-5 each if you can find them. The last time I got my skis waxed...the shop actually put a free one on my skis when they returned them.

Just started using one of these straps after getting one as a NASTC/Diva clinic door prize. Very useful! Want to find another for my daughter's skis. Even a wide rubber band helps the skis from splitting apart.

I have the Ski Relay, which holds the skis together and let you make a handle out of the poles. I got one years ago and like it because it's small to carry when not in use. Mostly use it for longer carries.

https://www.skichalet.com/Seirus_Ski_Relay_Ski_And_Pole_Carrie_p/3465064034206.htm

I don't like carrying my skis on my shoulder. Always feel unbalanced (I'm petite). Wasn't a problem with longer straight skis. For short carries, I just carry them in both hands in front of me. My boots go over my shoulder and if I have other stuff, that's in a backpack.

altagirl

Staff member

Heh - well, except when people can't hang on to them or maintain control of them while they're trying to carry them. Like the "bear hug method" of carrying all their ski gear... with their knees bumping into the skis when they try to walk... which usually ends up with a pile of skis and poles laying in the middle of the parking lot. Maybe there isn't a "wrong way", but it's at least the "hard way"...

If you're walking a short distance or are indoors/in a very crowded space - carrying them by the toe piece of the lower binding or just pinch gripping both skis is good, but for longer distances (or hiking uphill out on the mountain), over the shoulder is a lot more efficient(bindings behind or in the middle of your shoulder, or backwards with the tails to the front... it all depends on the ski I guess). Anyway that shoulder method with one arm draped over the front of the skis for counter weight seems to be the easiest, especially since you can put your poles, etc. in the hand over the tips of your skis and have the other arm completely free to dig out your car keys, open your ski rack, etc.

Muppet

Certified Ski Diva
I use a ski web which is a sling carry strap with velcro bits and folds neatly into a pocket. I find it really useful. I only live 200 yards from the main chair this year, so I don't use it much, but if I need to walk any sort of distance it's amazing.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Now I have rather curvy skis with integrated bindings, combined with a small boot, so almost every time I pick up my skis to carry them on my shoulder they either: 1) scissor apart and or 2) begin to slide away from each other front to back.

The way to stop #2 from happening is to make sure the binding brakes are lined up right... the brake of the ski on your shoulder should be below the brake of the ski on top. Does that make sense? That way the brake on the lower ski stops the top ski from sliding forward.

To fix #1 you just want a velcro ski strap, which is totally a product that exists. I don't know why that ski shops you went to didn't have any.

dloveski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
+2. Except off the shuttle bus to the base. (major rant ahead) WISH that more people, in tight group situations, would just carry their skis more UPRIGHT instead of having tips or tails wayyyy out there, and then rotating around with moving projectiles. Duh, Hel-LO!

Ditto what MSL said.....and not just on the bus, but in the lodge---upright only. There are those who are clueless and swing around with their skis over their shoulder in a crowded area......

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The easiest way to carry your skis is with the tips forward and the bindings behind your shoulder. Once up on your shoulder, put your arm over the front part of the skis so that the tails are up in the air (ie on an angle so you don't take out peoples heads behind you). You also need to look at which way your brakes overlap so that once on your shoulder the top ski doesn't slide forward but rather is held by the brakes of the other ski.

This is my method, also, until I get to crowded areas, at which point I shift to vertical. I stick the velcro strap on both ends, which is a little overkill but I don't care. They're available at EMS and REI if you can't find them (or don't get them for free) at a shop.

Finally, when I carry the poles, I carry them vertically, like a cane, in the ski-free hand, or off the hand that is resting on the tip end of the skis . I've had more near misses with other people's poles than their skis -- almost had my eyes poked out by a ditz who was turning and swinging her arm that was holding the poles.

drjoyous

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't carry my skis on my shoulder--they are too heavy for my shoulders, which have this little bone bump thingie that hurts.
I carry them in my hand, at my side. Some of my skis are pretty wide for my hands, but I still manage to hook them under my hand at my side.
It may be dorky, but it works better for me.
I say, Air, just try different ways until you find the way that you like best, hurts least, gives you the most control...

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Ditto what MSL said.....and not just on the bus, but in the lodge---upright only. There are those who are clueless and swing around with their skis over their shoulder in a crowded area......
In between ski hits to the helmet and, as mentioned above, pole near-impales last weekend....:rolleyes:...got to the point where I was not so nicely "suggesting" to people that they be more, um, considerate in close spaces. (no skis or boards allowed in our lodge, thank goodness)

Jilly

Staff member
"suggesting"

Sorry I get just plain rude!! Those are my eyes they might be taking out with that pole, or my head if its the skis. Can't believe the people in the gondola line at Tremblant. And if they hit me, I just take the skis or poles and place them as they should be. I just go into instructor mode!! In tight situations the skis go vertical and are carried by the toe piece. Poles vertical and tips close to the ground in the other hand.

Small kids are a different story. They are so cute trying to carry their skis and walk in the boots. I can't help but help them out!

evaino

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Air and welcome back to skiing!

Yup - me too. But, if you're going to do this, you have to remember that you have skis on your shoulder so as not to pull a Three Stooges routine and whack someone with your skis. Probably less funny when it happens in real life.

If I'm only walking a short distance, then I'll carry them vertically.

Elsbeth

frenchgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know it does not look proper, but I carry my skis under my arm. They are too heavy to be carried on my shoulder and I am too lazy to do it.

abc

Banned
I know it does not look proper, but I carry my skis under my arm. They are too heavy to be carried on my shoulder and I am too lazy to do it.
I dont' normally carry my skis that way. But I found out the not-so-proper way of carrying ski really isn't so bad. It works just fine for the walk to the car...

If I have to hike half way through the city, I'll do it the "tip down on the shoulder" way. And with at least one velcro to keep them together. Anything less than that, I just pick them up in whatever way I happen to feel like.

Mitch09

Certified Ski Diva

I should have also said this is the easiest way when you are not in close proximity to other (ie walking through the parking lot or longer distances). If you balance them with just the right downward angle, they actually feel a bit lighter (forces of gravity). In close quarters with others, it is best to carry them vertically by the toe piece of the binding and once again with the overlapping of the brakes to stop the skis from sliding up and down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna