• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How did *your* day go?

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
PXL_20221219_172145703.jpg

It was a day of firsts:
- losing my ski as I got on the lift. Near as I can tell, I didn't clean off the bottom of my boot well enough. These boots have Grip Walk soles, which seem to collect snow. Lesson learned.
- getting off the lift with one ski. Luckily this lift has a very easy exit ramp.

But on a more fun note for me, I also skied a tree run for the first time and I managed not to hit a single tree! I also spent some time on my touring skis with my new touring boots (figured I should test the system out in a controlled fashion before heading into the backcountry.) I so far like everything about the boots except the extreme difficulty getting them on my feet.

newbieM

Angel Diva
Oh no! I assume you found your ski! as a new skier this is something I am so terrified about happening. I would have no idea what the heck to do.

Awesome about the trees!

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
Oh no! I assume you found your ski! as a new skier this is something I am so terrified about happening. I would have no idea what the heck to do.

Awesome about the trees!
It happened as I was getting onto the lift, so the operator sent it up with the next chair. Luckily, it didn't fall off mid-way up!

I have a fair walk from where I usually park to the base area and I put my boots on at the car. Snow inevitably builds up on the bottom of my boots. I just need to take more care when I click in.

Reactions: AJM

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I once lost a ski loading (double chair with lots of swing caught the tip of my ski in the snow bank and it fortunately popped off). Was riding with my very skilled snowboarding friend. We both reminded me before unload to NOT PUT MY RIGHT FOOT DOWN.

Guess what i did?

Took myself and her out in a tangle. Lift stopped for MINUTES while we untangled and got up. MORTIFYING. Seems like you did MUCH better. :smile:

MissySki

Angel Diva
I once lost a ski loading (double chair with lots of swing caught the tip of my ski in the snow bank and it fortunately popped off). Was riding with my very skilled snowboarding friend. We both reminded me before unload to NOT PUT MY RIGHT FOOT DOWN.

Guess what i did?

Took myself and her out in a tangle. Lift stopped for MINUTES while we untangled and got up. MORTIFYING. Seems like you did MUCH better. :smile:
I had this happen, but not on the lift. I was skiing on demo skis at Snowmass years ago, when one just popped off. I was on a flat area and the base lodge was in sight, gliding along at a good clip. Well for some reason I thought I should use the non ski foot on the ground like one might use to push off with a skateboard.. The second my boot touched the snow it shot back behind me and I face planted HARD! Thank goodness the snow was soft.. Lesson learned though lol :doh:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
As kids, we would knock our skis together to get the snow off them on the way up. Old slow 2 seaters...Thank God for safety straps back then.

BTW - @former-boarder - pretty ski!!
Oh but I can remember falling down a steep run at Kirkwood (way above my ability back then) and tumbling as the skis hit me in the forehead because they were attached....

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Guess what i did?

I did the exact same thing a few years ago .... do not put your foot down, do not put your foot down ... WHAM :laughter:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was a day of firsts:
- losing my ski as I got on the lift. Near as I can tell, I didn't clean off the bottom of my boot well enough. These boots have Grip Walk soles, which seem to collect snow. Lesson learned.
- getting off the lift with one ski. Luckily this lift has a very easy exit ramp.

But on a more fun note for me, I also skied a tree run for the first time and I managed not to hit a single tree!
Just think how much easier the tree runs will be with 2 skis... :smile:

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Your boots look like they have tech pin holes or is it just the picture? The bindings look alpine.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
Your boots look like they have tech pin holes or is it just the picture? The bindings look alpine.
Good eye! They do have tech inserts, but they have Grip Walk soles and my alpine bindings are set for them. I'm not sure I like these boots, though, so I'll probably go back to my original alpine boots for in-bounds skiing.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Aww, @former-boarder - we all have those days! I believe @lisamamot had her ski pop off on a lift at last year’s Diva West. Like you, she skied off one-legged with aplomb.

I tried my new AT setup today. Because I’m a dummy I didn’t lock my toe piece entirely, and then my ski popped off while I was in a powder field. Then when I transitioned to downhill I couldn’t get the toe to click in all the way because I had ice in the pin holes… I early released 3x (read - fell a bunch - but as a boarder myself I’m pretty good at falling) and then said F it and walked the short rest of the way. Thankfully this was at my little local hill Cochran’s which meant that it was only a couple hundred feet downhill anyway.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hooray for trees! I'd personally rather offload with no skis than one - would definitely put the wrong foot down!!

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good eye! They do have tech inserts, but they have Grip Walk soles and my alpine bindings are set for them. I'm not sure I like these boots, though, so I'll probably go back to my original alpine boots for in-bounds skiing.
That's why u lost the ski. Grip walk is 4 walking. The tech boot is curved & it can "fit" in alpine bindings but as u found out u r likely to pop out cuz the dins from alpine bindings do not apply 2 tech bindings. Ur setup is not safe. Ur lucky but to have lost ur ski while skiing. To my knowledge the only somewhat hybrid alpine/tech is a technica boot. U should try getting ion 10 or marker kingpin. If u want women tech bindings with solid heel 4 resort. If not yes switch 2 alpine boots.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are plenty of multi norm compatible newer alpine bindings that will work with grip walk and tech inserts no problem. It’s all about compatibility in the lug shapes. This segment with 50/50 boots used has really expanded in the past couple seasons with much more options out there.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are plenty of multi norm compatible newer alpine bindings that will work with grip walk and tech inserts no problem. It’s all about compatibility in the lug shapes. This segment with 50/50 boots used has really expanded in the past couple seasons with much more options out there.
It does not look like this setup worked. We all have different priorities. To means 50/50 means mediocre for both.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To each her own on the 50-50 and I agree dropping a ski is not ideal but the Tyrolia Attack series that it looks like she is skiing has been gripwalk boot compatible for several years and that ski topsheet isn’t that old so I don’t think binding compatibility is the root of the lost ski issue.

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
My bindings are GripWalk compatible (they're last years Tyrolia Attack) and I had them set for this boot by the shop.

I definitely had built up snow/ice in the lugs of the boot, so I don't think I clicked all the way in. I do have a true touring boot that I would never use with these skis.

Aww, @former-boarder - we all have those days! I believe @lisamamot had her ski pop off on a lift at last year’s Diva West. Like you, she skied off one-legged with aplomb.

I tried my new AT setup today. Because I’m a dummy I didn’t lock my toe piece entirely, and then my ski popped off while I was in a powder field. Then when I transitioned to downhill I couldn’t get the toe to click in all the way because I had ice in the pin holes… I early released 3x (read - fell a bunch - but as a boarder myself I’m pretty good at falling) and then said F it and walked the short rest of the way. Thankfully this was at my little local hill Cochran’s which meant that it was only a couple hundred feet downhill anyway.

Oh, gosh, I can relate! I've gotten ice in my bindings before and had difficulty engaging the pins. I carry a small nail in my kit for this reason; it's good for getting into those small spaces. I also have a small multi-tool in my first aid kit.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Oh, gosh, I can relate! I've gotten ice in my bindings before and had difficulty engaging the pins. I carry a small nail in my kit for this reason; it's good for getting into those small spaces. I also have a small multi-tool in my first aid kit.
I’m going to do this from now on. Thank you for the tip!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga