• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

How are all the Northeast Divas

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in West Windsor; we escaped unscathed. But the region between us and Ludlow/Okemo was very hard hit. Downtown Ludlow was absolutely devastated.

The rain yesterday was unbelievable; I've never seen such sustained heavy, heavy rain for an entire day. It was out of the Old Testament. And you sat inside listening and knowing that every drop of it was going right to runoff, because it's been raining almost non-stop here since May and the ground was already saturated.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I'm safe. Thanks for your concern. I'm visiting my Mom in Florida, but I'll be back next week. Turns out we lost power for a while, so I was worried about the food in our refrigerator and freezer, but that's back on now. The road to my house was hit pretty badly, but I think there's a way in now. At least I hope there'll be by the time I get back.

To see a few pics of the damage near me, go here.

yogiskier

Angel Diva
It's shocking and saddening to see all of the devastation in Vermont. Glad that you and your home are safe, Wendy.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
BC609C83-230C-4D17-AED6-C419182F7BCE.jpeg28B449B9-1518-4AD3-BBE1-166927A6212A.jpeg1F429E29-C809-459F-ACFD-A8758E7ABA55.jpegEAA81213-EE3A-4796-B5FA-DD432758602E.jpeg82076D22-8FED-45A5-9379-665F993A655D.jpeg426201EA-3368-441F-96BC-9A5EF0D9376C.jpeg

I’m fine but Marshfield, Barre, Cabot are in trouble. And much of Montpelier is submerged. There is 4 ft of water at the high school. It amounts to 2mm gallons according to the letter I got … but the insurance adjuster is on the scene. So the gov bldgs will be fine, but the businesses are not and families too .

full list of go fund me’s: https://bit.ly/montpeliergofundmes

We have been inundated with scam artists as well, which is sad.

let me know if I can help answering Qs as I’m pretty well informed.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
IMG_0757.jpegIMG_9560.jpeg
This is the town, and route 12 between Northfield and Montpelier. There’s a lot of infrastructure that’s been destroyed from what I’m seeing.

we received about 8 inches of rain in a period of 33 hours. If it was winter and cold that would be 80 inches of snow.

the Wrightsville dam almost reached the spillway which would have let gallons of water flow thru the already crested rivers, causing more damage. Thankfully didn’t reach that point but the levels aren’t going down so we won’t be able to sustain another rain event like that it seems.

echo_VT

Angel Diva

Website monitoring the levels at the wrightsville reservoir. In the day we got 8 inches of rain, the reservoir filled about 40 ft higher. For water levels. At its peak, it reached 684 ft(?)

At 687 ft, according to documents, that’s when the water enters the spillway. So it came 3 ft away from the 687 number…There’s a certain amount of water flow that is calculated and specified but I don’t remember what it is but it’s on public gov documents. But it would be catastrophic by city accounts. Water levels have receded to 678 ft. So we’re not out of the woods just yet. Let’s hope there is not additional heavy rain.

I just saw that South Korea saw floods and casualties and mudslides and such. Ugh … very worried for this planet

empogo

Certified Ski Diva
Whoops, I didn’t mean to ignore this post— just been ignoring lots of stuff this summer apparently.
I’m in Warren now (6 min drive from Sugarbush’s Lincoln Peak) and the entire Warren/Waitsfield area was very lucky. Apparently Irene was pretty awful, so everyone was holding their breath for a couple of days. Sobering to see the destruction in other towns and realize how close the river is to much of my town.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna