• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hotronic questions

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My feet started to get cold in my boots this year. The Boot Gloves are great, but it's not enough anymore. Maybe the boots are packing out? Heat packs are a pain. It's time to look into Hotronics.

Here are my questions:

Did you install them yourself? It doesn't look hard.
Do you remember how much you paid for a professional installation?
Did you have to mod/shave/cut your custom insoles to accomodate the toe warmer element?
Can you feel the element when you are wearing your boots?
Did you add the Hotronics footbed or did you mod your existing footbed?
Who uses them with custom orthotics? Anything special I should know?
Where did you mount the batteries? Front, side or back? On the power strap or ???
Any other questions I am not asking? All information is appreciated.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking about getting them but haven't done it or done much research yet, but I can answer one question based on my sister's use...

She has the extension cords and mounts the pack on the top of her ski pants where it's less in the way of her gaiters and cuffs and easier to adjust on the fly.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been thinking about getting them but haven't done it or done much research yet, but I can answer one question based on my sister's use...

She has the extension cords and mounts the pack on the top of her ski pants where it's less in the way of her gaiters and cuffs and easier to adjust on the fly.

I thought about that, but if I have to open my jacket to set the battery pack...Maybe the boot mount isn't so bad.

How thick are the heating elements? Do they really need to be set into the insoles?

beckylh84

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got Hotronic's put in a few weeks ago. I had them installed on my custom footbeds (Surefoot), which I think maybe was a mistake because the wire goes on the bottom of the footbed, then in the ball of the foot, the heating element has to go through the footbed, and then the upper part of the heating element goes on top of the footbed....So now I've got a hole in my footbed. Should have just gotten a heat moldable footbed to use with these. My footbeds are rock-solid hard now on the ball of the foot, so when I'm in my boots for 7-8 hours my feet are killing me. I also don't get the chance to sit down at all, except for when I'm on the chair, so that's probably why my feet are so sore at the end of the night. I only noticed the heating element on the footbed the first day that I wore them, but I'm used to it now so I'm not bothered by it. I LOVE them when it's wicked cold out. Total lifesaver on the evenings I work nights at the ski hill. I just use the regular clip that comes on the battery pack and put it on my Booster Strap. Overall, I'm happy I got them, but regret that I didn't get an alternate footbed to use.

Jilly

Staff member
I had a pair that eventually were removed because I felt like I was standing on top of the golf ball. I think VG had the same problem. But I now blame it on the installation. First it wasn't forward enough, its was too close to the ball of my foot, not my toes. And it just sat on top of the my cork superfeet. ???? The elements are wafer thin, so you won't need to carve too much out of your soles.

SkiQT

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought Hotronics last year. I installed them myself. I bought the footbed in my size and replaced the one that came with my boots (not sure how it would work with custom footbeds). It was fairly easy to setup since my liner had a slot already the cord went through. I put them on my bootstrap towards the side (interior).

They were the best investment as they really work for me

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a pair that eventually were removed because I felt like I was standing on top of the golf ball. I think VG had the same problem. But I now blame it on the installation. First it wasn't forward enough, its was too close to the ball of my foot, not my toes. And it just sat on top of the my cork superfeet. ???? The elements are wafer thin, so you won't need to carve too much out of your soles.

Yeah, I'm having this golf ball problem with my new ones. Trying them again tomorrow, modified a few things, hopefully it feels better.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I've had Hotronics for a few years now and can't imagine skiing without them. I'd always suffered from cold feet, and these are a godsend. They are now an essential part of my ski equipment.

I have custom footbeds, and I had mine installed by my bootfitter. I'm glad I did. I've had no issues at all.

Sami

Certified Ski Diva
I also had mine installed by a bootfitter and used the Hotronics insoles. I am very handy with tools and repairs, and wax and sharpen my own skis, etc. but I guess I made one of those odd economics decisions-- with the cost of the Hotronics, suddenly the charge to have the bootfitter install them didn't seem so overwhelming. That said, I'm sure it's easy to do yourself. Mine are mounted on the outside top of my boots, to the strap. It's kind of annoying to get the strap properly tightened. The manual has all the options for mounting and the pros and cons. For example: mounted to the back-- danger of hitting it on the stairs. I think they recommend the outside top as the best spot.
I always had cold feet. Now, sometimes on -0 degrees days, they'll get cold after three or four hours. Definitely a good purchase for me!

Jilly

Staff member
DH used my old ones for his boots this year. But he's the type that has to reinvent the wheel, so I won't even discuss it here. All I say is he didn't put them in a footbed.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DH used my old ones for his boots this year. But he's the type that has to reinvent the wheel, so I won't even discuss it here. All I say is he didn't put them in a footbed.
Now I'm curious.

How much does a standard installation cost?

If you have golf ball issues, do your footbeds have little toe indentations (like a Birkenstock) or are they flat?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have custom footbeds, and had my bootfitter install the Hotronics for me. They didn't charge a separate installation cost either which was nice. The heating element is essentially level with my footbed since they kind of grind it down to make it as flush as possible and then they taped over it so I can feel a little overlap of tape, but that's it and it doesn't bother me. I always had terribly cold feet where I'd be in so much pain eventually that I had to go in. Since having Hotronics I've never had a problem regardless of how cold it gets, and I also pair with bootgloves if it's especially wet or cold out.

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have used Hotronics for years and have always had my bootfitter install them when I replace my boots. I have never felt the elements.

shima

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use the thermic heaters in my boots... my 2011-2012 season boots came with them already pre-installed in my Atomic boots. So when I got my new Technica boots fort his season, I opted to have the thermic elements installed into my foot liners since I already owned the batteries (which had been $200 last year) and didn't want to buy everything new again, batteries especially being the most expensive part of that. I have Raynaud's so heated gloves and boots are like heaven for my fingers... though even sometimes I still need to go inside because I'll get frozen digits just to spite me if it's super cold, lol.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I got my Hotronics today. The ski shop installed them (for no charge) on top of my custom orthotics and put the thin cover over them. My orthotics have a little toe contour and the disks fit over them pretty well. I can feel just the edge on the ball of my foot. I'm going out tomorrow to see how they feel in the real world of ZERO degrees Fahrenheit with windchill of minus 20.

I'm charging them now and I have another question. Do the charging plugs fit tightly in your batteries? Mine are loose and not 'clicked in' at all. 2 steady red lights on the charger for the last 3 hours.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We got the Therm-ics and installed them ourselves. We just taped them upside-down to the bottom of our custom footbeds and taped the rest of the cord along the footbed. The hardest part was the initial cut through the liner....I couldn't do it myself (total mental block to putting a hole through my brand new liners).

It's not the "recommended" installation but it was easy and works beautifully. I only feel the right one a bit because of the weird build-ups I have on that foot from years of ill-fitting shoes/boots and the neuroma surgery (and probable second neuroma still there). This is our second year with them and I can't imagine skiing without them ever again.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for all the help. I didn't ski last week - it was just too cold to make the effort. I did use them today (16*F) and I was quite pleased. At first, I felt that the right one was just too high, but after two runs, I couldn't even feel them. Maybe my feet adjusted or maybe my insoles, but I was comfy all day.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've always had mine professionally installed and it has always been included in the price of the Hotronics. I now have custom footbeds and they're in there: same deal. I have never been aware of them (except that my feet feel lovely and warm). They are on the lateral side of my boots and on a clip bracket which is easy to remove. As an aside, they also go inside my snow cuff so that, if they did pop off, they would still come home with me) They have never been in the way except in the olden days when they were clipped on the back of the boot. On top of that, we copped the ski locker closest to the outlet so they can be charged overnight on my boots (via an extension cord under the door): they never even have to leave the locker! :thumbsup: Now all I have to do is get to use them again!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga