• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Hooded Scarfs a/k/a Helmet Hoods

altagirl

Staff member
I own hooded scarves.... not like over helmet ones though... And I have never contemplated wearing one skiing. Is this a thing?

It looks insanely warm (which I'm all about!)

Last edited by a moderator:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also - can we talk about what is on Lindsey Dyer's head? I own hooded scarves.... not like over helmet ones though... And I have never contemplated wearing one skiing. Is this a thing?

It looks like something an Ewok would wear, only plushie!

Hm. At first I thought it just looked like a hoodie with an oversized hood, but on closer inspection, it does look more like a cowl.

newbieM

Angel Diva
So glad you're enjoying your new skis! Yay!

Also - can we talk about what is on Lindsey Dyer's head? I own hooded scarves.... not like over helmet ones though... And I have never contemplated wearing one skiing. Is this a thing?

I borrowed one from a friend and I loved every minute. You just look funny and it’s tricky to take off if it’s soaking wet and covered in snow. I may get myself one this winter. It is like a furry condom that goes over your helmet and around your neck. I loved it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I borrowed one from a friend and I loved every minute. You just look funny and it’s tricky to take off if it’s soaking wet and covered in snow. I may get myself one this winter. It is like a furry condom that goes over your helmet and around your neck. I loved it.
What's it called? How does one find it?

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I really want a hood like that. Burton makes them, and I’ve found a bunch by googling “Fleece hood helmet”

newbieM

Angel Diva
This is one example

and this is me enjoying mine

A2AFE043-0A72-4CD1-8B14-BF7298074617.jpeg

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On closer inspection, I don't think I'd be able to wear it. The hood, maybe, but not the cowl part. I can't stand having anything around my face when I'm skiing. I pull up my mask and tuck my face into my jacket on the lift ride, but then I feel like I can't breathe when I'm skiing without my face fully exposed. ALSO it would, of course, obscure my beautiful neon helmet.

I have a skull cap style hat that I wear under my helmet on really cold days. It's surprisingly effective. Not snuggly, but it also doesn't get all wet while I eat lunch in the lodge.

That being said, they do look very cute! @newbieM you look adorable in it!

Christy

Angel Diva
It doesn't seem like having fleece fabric exposed to the elements but next to your ski would ultimately be very comfortable (which I guess that is what @newbieM says). Maybe if the day was very dry?

marzNC

Angel Diva
During a snowstorm, if the hood stays in place, beats a hood attached to a jacket that won't stay put over a helmet. It's nice to have something to keep snow from going down your back. Plus with a jacket hood and a fully zipped up jacket, it's harder to see to the side.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are these not a normal thing at most mountains? I've seen them for 5+ years.... Lots of the kids wear them - even when its too warm for them.... trendy.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
A hood can really make a difference in keeping you warm. When it's really cold (single digits and below), I like to pull my hood over my helmet. I've seen people wearing those hooded things and asked them what they think. They say they're really warm, but I don't know if they're that much warmer than what I already do. If your jacket doesn't have a hood, though, I think they would really help.

Last edited:

altagirl

Staff member
I've seen some hoods over helmets, but assumed there was a full hoody sweatshirt attached. As opposed to just the hood/cowl.
I think that's it for me. I've always worn my jacket hood over my helmet when its cold. I've seen what i thought were attached hoodies sticking out. I just don't think I ever noticed one that was clearly just a fleece cowl that was obviously a separate accessory over a helmet before. I may have just not been paying close attention though!

newboots

Angel Diva
I mostly wear mine bunched up around my neck. It’s not right around my neck, which I love. I have a peculiar aversion to tight neckwear (can’t tolerate a gorgeous Skida neck gaiter, or turtlenecks, for example). My helmet keeps me warm if I close the vents, but in nasty weather I would use my jacket hood instead of the fleece hood. I don’t think it would be good in freezing rain!

BuckLup

Certified Ski Diva
I am like skinnyfootskis and would likely combust when hormones decide to flash! I will stick to my hood over helmet when absolutely necessary. Mine stays put when using it and it prevents anything going down my neck. I remember being a teenager and seeing an "older" woman skiing with her jacket open at Sugarloaf when it was a freezing cold day and asking my Dad why on earth someone would do that. He had no clue (still doesn't.) I now totally understand and feel a sort of kinship with the open jacket woman of long ago!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A hood can really make a difference in keeping you warm. When it's really cold (single digits and below), I like to pull my hood over my helmet. I've seen people wearing those hooded things and asked them what they think. They say they're really warm, but I don't know if they're that much warmer than what I already do. If your jacket doesn't have a hood, though, I think they would really help.

Thank you for ‘reminding‘ me to get out my new jacket and put the helmet on to fit the hood over it. Monday looks like it might be chilly!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna