• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Holy crap! What's wrong with people?

Jenny

Angel Diva
Just saw this article online:

Dangerous booby traps found on popular Utah hiking trail south of Salt Lake City; 2 arrested

By Paul Foy, The Associated Press | Associated PressTue, Apr 24, 2012

SALTLAKECITY - The 20-pound spiked boulder was rigged to swing at head-level with just a trip of a thin wire — a military-like booby trap set on a popular Utah canyon trail.
Any unsuspecting hiker exploring the makeshift dead-wood shelter could have fallen prey.

Two men arrested over the weekend on suspicion of misdemeanour reckless endangerment told authorities the traps were intended for wildlife, but investigators don't believe the story.

"This is a shelter put together by people, visited by people — anything that would be impacted by their device would have to be humans," UtahCounty sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon said. "It took some time to build these traps. They took rope, heavy-duty fishing line, and they intended what the traps were going to do."

U.S. Forest Service Officer James Schoeffler came across the trip wires last week while on routine patrol on the popular Big Springs hiking trail in Provo Canyon about 50 miles south of Salt Lake City. Having had previous military hazardous device detection training, Schoeffler immediately knew it was a threat. If not disabled, both devices — one set to swing down at head-level, the other designed to trip a passer-by into a bed of sharpened wooden stakes — could have been deadly.

The structure built by the two suspects was easy to see, Cannon said, but the booby traps could have been overlooked by everyone except a military-trained officer like Schoeffler.

"A lot of people go up there after dark, as well," Cannon said. "We're very, very fortunate that it was Officer Schoeffler who found it."

The U.S. Forest Service has not made Schoeffler available for an interview. Authorities said he disabled the traps after taking photos and video of the site.

Cannon said the traps were just a half-mile from a busy trailhead.

"Who goes up this trail thinking, I'm going to have to look out for booby traps?" he said. "A kid could say, 'Oh cool, a shelter,' and run right across the trip line."

Days after Schoeffler made the discovery, a tipster alerted authorities about comments on Facebook that mentioned the traps and the shelter. Detectives then tracked down the suspects, Cannon said.

Benjamin Steven Rutkowski, 19, of Orem and Kai Matthew Christensen, 21, of Provo were booked in the Utah County Jail on Saturday and released on bail.

Prosecutors believed the misdemeanour reckless endangerment allegations were the strongest claims they could pursue without anyone being injured. Charges have not yet been filed.

Rutkowski's father, Steven, declined comment. No phone number was listed for Christensen, and it wasn't immediately clear if either suspect had an attorney.
___
Associated Press writer Brian Skoloff contributed to this report.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
This happens more than you think. Usually it is on mountain bike trails, by rabidly anti - bikes on trail types. I think it's really strange there is no reason given. Maybe they were LARPing and it got out of control?

*Live Action Role Playing. Dungeons and Dragons in real time. Dress up and run around in a park.

Downunder Diva

Angel Diva
This even made the Aussie news and I immediately thought of a previous thread where we were all talking about how safe we felt off the main trail :fear: . So I echo your sentiments WTF is wrong with people!!! It reads as though they meant it as man traps - is it possible that they were installing it as a bear trap??? Not that it would make it any less horrendous. I was sort of hoping that people of this ilk confined themselves to major cities...

altagirl

Staff member
The article I read said they suspected it was teenage (well I guess 19 & 21 year old) boys trying to replicate the boobytraps from the Hunger Games movie. Yeesh.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The article I read said they suspected it was teenage (well I guess 19 & 21 year old) boys trying to replicate the boobytraps from the Hunger Games movie. Yeesh.

Being unfamiliar with the Hunger Games, it sounds to me like an episode of the Roadrunner cartoons.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Being unfamiliar with the Hunger Games, it sounds to me like an episode of the Roadrunner cartoons.

Maybe the dark side version, since people really get hurt!

I still can't believe people. And the whole thing about mountain bike trails, too.

I want to be a kid again and not know about this stuff.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Maybe the dark side version, since people really get hurt!

I still can't believe people. And the whole thing about mountain bike trails, too.

I want to be a kid again and not know about this stuff.

There's a guy in CA who's been terrroizing mountain bikers for years. He was so crazed about it that he got kicked off the board of the Sierra Club. He was finally arrested for threatening a mountain biker with a (saw? I think). There was a trial, and he had to do service work. Talk about nutjobs...https://peterfrickwright.com/trial/

Leila Zucker

Certified Ski Diva
Okay now, being a old-time LARPer, I can tell you these groups are far LESS likely to do something like this. We are not survivalists trying to replicate reality. In most cases in a LARP, you hand a piece of paper to the other player when they cross your imaginary trip line to tell them what has happened to them in the game. These two sound like sociopaths to me. I bet their juvenile records show setting things on fire or torturing kittens or something. And blaming the Hunger Games? Really? Do you see normal kids dropping anvils on each other after watching Bugs bunny cartoons? No, you do not. Thankfully, this sort of thing is rare, and in pre-internet days none of us would ever have heard about it. So please continue to enjoy your hiking/biking trails, but remember to always keep your eyes open for hazards whether they are natural or man-made.

altagirl

Staff member
SERVICE WORK? For threatening people with a SAW? Only in Cali!

That whole thing is just bizarre. I've read a bunch of stuff about it over the years and the crazy hiker guy is just something else. Note that it's not like he was threatening people with a chainsaw or something, but like a little portable thing you'd carry around in a hiking pack, if I remember correctly. But he did point it at someone, poke it into them and reportedly scratched them up - he was busy yelling about how mountain biking is evil.... He has a whole website filled with ranting about how anyone who rides a bike on dirt is deranged because if you're doing anything faster than walking speed in nature, you can't enjoy it so it makes you a bad person and an adrenaline junky who can't be trusted. (Don't get him started on skiing, I guess!) So it's not that he thinks there should be hiking only trails for a more low key experience for hikers or mountain bikers should be restricted to certain areas, but that he thinks setting tire to trail is morally wrong in any situation. Which is just.... bizarre.

And when people disagree with him even in the most polite way, he just goes off about how obviously they are deranged speed freaks whose minds have been ruined by adrenaline, so anyone who does anything other than walk is someone he's not going to listen to.

I know he's temporarily banned from the trails where the assaults occurred, but I'm sure he'll be back eventually. I don't think there is any chance that he's changed his opinions on any of this...

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
He has a whole website filled with ranting about how anyone who rides a bike on dirt is deranged because if you're doing anything faster than walking speed in nature, you can't enjoy it so it makes you a bad person and an adrenaline junky who can't be trusted.
What is up with that? Since when is adrenaline considered a dangerous drug? Well, OK, I've known many a heat-seeker in my life, although I myself have no adrenaline problem and could quit any time I want. But true adrenaline junkies are mostly a danger to themselves. Or ourselves. And in my experience, unlike the devoted bikers I see on ski diva, the average mountain biker probably generates more stress hormones than adrenaline if they teeter their way off a very recently paved road.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Just google "mike vandeman nutjob". Pages and pages of his web history and the problems he's caused. People used to think they could engage in dialogue with this guy. His history of causing problems on the internet goes back to the usenet days, folks. His whole schtick is trail and environmental damage; and that even hikers cause trail damage. Face it folks, he's a nut with a history.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course hikers cause trail damage. So do deer and coyote (which also desecrate trails by defecating on them), and whatever big honkin' creature it is that digs tunnels into the sides of the trail. In fact, now that I think of it, trails cause trail damage! :faint:

Actually, I'm only half kidding. As someone who knows perfectly well that the mere presence of people in wilderness, eroding stream banks and rocky slopes below archeological sites and stomping all over the desert's delicate cryptobiotic crusts, affects it, wears on it, and changes it, I can kind of see the method behind the madness, though that doesn't mean one should go batshit crazy about it.

Even if you go all Unibomber you're not going to stop people from walking on trails. In fact, make a trail and both hikers and bikers, as well as deer and coyotes and whatever hairy thing that digs those burrows will tend to stay on it, which means less stomping around elsewhere. So anyone who wants to preserve nature ought to be out there building and reinforcing trails and standing out on the road, waving people onto them.

But that's just me.

abc

Banned
I can kind of see the method behind the madness, though that doesn't mean one should go batshit crazy about it.
No, I don't. There's no method, just pure madness. Well, uninformed mind.

Ah, I see you got it too:
In fact, make a trail and both hikers and bikers, as well as deer and coyotes and whatever hairy thing that digs those burrows will tend to stay on it, which means less stomping around elsewhere. -.
Exactly!

The only way to have true wilderness is that HE should stay off it and set an example!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Of course hikers cause trail damage. So do deer and coyote (which also desecrate trails by defecating on them), and whatever big honkin' creature it is that digs tunnels into the sides of the trail. In fact, now that I think of it, trails cause trail damage! :faint:

And don't even get me started on what squirrels are capable of - talk about your booby traps, those little varmints can dig holes that'll break your ankle if you fall in them!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga