• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

High Sierra Wheeled Double Ski Bag

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://smile.amazon.com/High-Sierr...UTF8&qid=1469736423&sr=8-14&keywords=ski+bags

I purchased this bag on Amazon last year just before my last western trip of the season. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. I used this bag once - from DC to Aspen (Eagle) and return. I looked at it yesterday and my edges have made 3 nice clean 1-2 inch slices right through the bottom of the bag.:hurt: This is a bag that desperately needs a liner/padding. There are interior tie downs and a fixed pad between the skis, but the bottom of the bag is a single layer. I may duct tape it and try to get it through one more season, but I'm undecided at this point. I'm thinking seriously about a hard case.

Jilly

Staff member
I love my Sportube. One of the Canadian carriers will not allow you to carry anything but ski and poles in the ski bag. And they will not take responsibly for any damage to ski/snowboards in a soft bag. So I bought a Sportube. Don't ever travel on Air Canada!. As for edges cutting the bag, I used to place the skis in a single ski bag, then wrap my jacket, pants and anything bulky around it to protect the skis in a double ski bag.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love my Sportube. One of the Canadian carriers will not allow you to carry anything but ski and poles in the ski bag. And they will not take responsibly for any damage to ski/snowboards in a soft bag. So I bought a Sportube. Don't ever travel on Air Canada!. As for edges cutting the bag, I used to place the skis in a single ski bag, then wrap my jacket, pants and anything bulky around it to protect the skis in a double ski bag.

Using the single bag is a good idea, @Jilly . I bought the double so I could carry both mine and my mom's skis (she's 85 and has earned the right to have her skis carried for her), so I could use a single as a sleeve and wrap clothing around the other pair. That should drive TSA mad. Still, ultimately, I'm probably going to own a Sportube.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I have a Burton wheeled snowboard bag for my skis and holds everything. Have traveled to Canada and Europe so far without problems.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I've had a lot of luck with the High Sierra adjustable, wheeled double bag. It's fully padded and has held up thus far, 4 or 5 flights, and going strong, no rips or tears. I had an unpadded snowboard bag prior to that...didn't last long.

With yours, I'd patch up the rips with duct tape then line the bottom of the bag with...I don't really know how to describe the stuff I'm thinking about, but it's about 1/2 inch styrofoam flexible padding (probably can get it at a craft store in roll form), or maybe an old yoga mat.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With yours, I'd patch up the rips with duct tape then line the bottom of the bag with...I don't really know how to describe the stuff I'm thinking about, but it's about 1/2 inch styrofoam flexible padding (probably can get it at a craft store in roll form), or maybe an old yoga mat.

Hmmm, I have an old yoga mat and wide double-sided shipping tape. Could be a winner.

I do fancy a sportube but found a great deal on this. $24 with shipping on a popular auction site. Just put my Kastle's and kenjas in it and seems like a solid bag. Sundog is the manufacturer. Only bummer is no wheels. Taking our first out west trip since i lived out west in January/February. Thinking wheels would be nice but it's still a great bag.

s-l1600.jpg

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Will you travel by air with that bag? My Burton bag was $200 but it has gone on at least a dozen or probably more trips and served me well. It is very padded and holds so much . I've even put my boots in it..

I mainly bought it cause i needed another ski bag. I had 2 pairs in my rossi clamshell bag but it was really only made for 1 pair. I was checking the bag going hmmmm this seems very solid, maybe good for air travel. No wheels but seems very padded and it's huge.

I set up a daily search for sport tube on ebay so maybe one will come along.

Jilly

Staff member
I should say that the single bag was more of a sleeve type. Using the Sportube has made me cut back on what I take. I put my skis, poles, winter hikers (shoes) and maybe gloves in the Sportube. That's all that will fit!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I think it's a sleeve too.. Which is fine for day trips or storage

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Using the Sportube has made me cut back on what I take. I put my skis, poles, winter hikers (shoes) and maybe gloves in the Sportube. That's all that will fit!

I've cut waaaay down on what I bring w/me too. Non-ski clothing is either denim or black. Makes evenings uber easy.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I fly with a Sportube 2. Bought the bigger one in case I took a trip with my daughter. Nice to have the extra space when I travel alone. So far, I've avoided taking more than one pair of skis when going out west. Only issue is how much space it takes up even when empty. When my friends also have Sportubes, can be a problem fitting everything into the car after we meet up.

For comments about ski bags from last year:
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/double-ski-bag.19755/

Where are you skiing out West in Jan & Feb?

2 separate trips.

One trip will be to California. My old stomping grounds were mammoth and big bear. I will be in san diego (Coronado) so likrly won't be able to get to mammy and big bear. I also want to meet up with my socal peeps and also spend some time in northern Arizona so this trip will be limited to Big Bear and the snow bowl in northern Arizona.

Trip 2 will be with one of our 2 local ski clubs. Won't know where the trips are until near the end of September.

By October 1st we will have all the details worked out.

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got another August deal. The Dakine Low Roller snowboard bag. Powder7 has it on sale for $89.00. Free shipping. The reviews on this thing say it is virtually indestructible and skiers using it loved it.

I was going to try and patch up my used-once-and-shredded High Sierra bag until I discovered even more damage. The Dakine will hold almost everything I normally bring w/me - maybe everything but my boots, which I carry-on anyway.

Do you have a link for it. Is it a soft case

W8N2SKI

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you have a link for it. Is it a soft case

I just looked at their site and it isn't there anymore. I may have grabbed the last one. Here's the info from the email. I think I saw it on another site for about $10.00 more.

Order Description:
2016 Dakine Low Roller Luggage Phoenix 165cm
$89.95

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just got another August deal. The Dakine Low Roller snowboard bag. Powder7 has it on sale for $89.00. Free shipping. The reviews on this thing say it is virtually indestructible and skiers using it loved it.

I was going to try and patch up my used-once-and-shredded High Sierra bag until I discovered even more damage. The Dakine will hold almost everything I normally bring w/me - maybe everything but my boots, which I carry-on anyway.
Wheeled snowboard bags are the way to go... I've been using my Burton for about 8 years and traveled almost every year with it somewhere by air. Good deal for you!

I just looked at their site and it isn't there anymore. I may have grabbed the last one. Here's the info from the email. I think I saw it on another site for about $10.00 more.

Order Description:
2016 Dakine Low Roller Luggage Phoenix 165cm
$89.95

Man that wont work for us anyway. That will barely fit my skis, DH's are even longer.

I found a sportube 3 on sale for $100. Might grab that.

Great deal for you congrats.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna