• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Helping through chemo

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, DH's executive assistant has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I am not sure which stage, I think 2, it hadn't really spread when they caught it. She had a hysterectomy a couple of weeks ago; they were thinking only radiation at first, but today they decided to do chemo too.

Now, somehow I have made it this far without having a close friend or family member have to go through chemotherapy. I know many of you have been in this position, whether it was yourself or a friend or family member. I'm trying to think of what I can do -- we aren't close friends or anything, but it's been about 8 or 9 years, and she knows more about my husband than I do ;-). Complicating matters is that they work remotely -- ah, the wonders of technology -- so she lives about 75 miles from me.

So ... any and all advice is appreciated ... what would she appreciate? She has a husband, but I'm not sure what other kind of local support network she has. She is very private person, so I don't expect her to jump at offers of help, but you never know.

EnglishSnowflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi Pinto

So sorry to hear your news. My Dad was diagnosed with stomach cancer last May after hardly being ill a day in his life, and 18 months ago my mother-in-law had breast cancer. I am pleased to report that both have responded to treatments/surgery and have recovered amazingly well and have very low prospects of further disease so I really hope your friend will have a similar outcome.

My Dad had (and is still having to kill off anything lurking around his system) chemo but it is not the kind that is administered in hospital and can make your hair fall out, it is powerful medication that was prescribed to him from the chemotherapy dept at the hospital for him to take daily himself, so there are a variety of forms of chemo that they may give her. It made him very tired, and because it attacks cell reproduction it also reduced production of infection-fighting cells so he was very vulnerable to general infections. We were, and still are pretty wary of going near him if we have any colds or anything so we don't pass it on as his immune system was very weak.

When he was first diagnosed I felt a bit helpless and ineffective, he and my Mum didn't need immediate help with anything but I wanted to do something, so I did a 10km sponsored run in support of a cancer research charity. It gave me a focus for my energy in the early days. As time went on and his treatment kicked in he was quite ill and they were forced to cancel their holiday so DF and I took him and Mum to our holiday home by the sea for a few days for a change of scenery and some rest. After that he improved steadily and was ready for surgery to remove his tumour in October. Dad had ordered a new car just before he was given his surgery date and ended up fretting about making the arrangements for that to arrive while he was in hospital so my fiance took all the sorting out for that over too so that Dad didn't have to worry about it.

Something that comes to mind that perhaps you could offer help with is communication; when Dad was in hospital so many people wanted to know how he was doing that it was utterly exhausting for them both to try and keep up with the stream of very kind people who wanted updates and to send their good wishes for his recovery. Perhaps you could offer to pass on updates to those they would like to keep in the loop? If they are private people this might not be many but even telling three or four people less the current news is helpful as you don't want to miss anyone out but it is very time consuming and emotionally draining to spend three or four hours an evening doing phone calls and messages.

It meant a lot to my family just to know that so many were thinking of him, sending cards etc so even in the absence of any more practical help you could offer, perhaps sending books, magazines, dvd's that she might enjoy while she is likely to be either at home or in hospital and pretty sick will probably help to keep her spirits up.

Hope this helps in some way, I will send you all some positive thoughts and please let us know how she gets on.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a friend go through chemo a few years ago, and her skin got really dry. If you want to send a gift, maybe some really nice lotion or something? It's simple, inexpensive, and not too personal since you don't know her well. It's really nice that you want to reach out.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few things to add. Think of things you wouldn't want to deal with if you were sick or focused on your DH if he were sick. Cooking, cleaning, maintenance type things. I know you're a distance away but perhaps you could schedule a local place to deliver meals or send a gift card. Or have a cleaning service come in for her once or twice during treatment? Treatments can vary significantly in length so that might be all that's needed.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My sister had chemo for non-Hodgkins lymphoma about 12 years ago. I lived about 30 miles away. I had planned to step in on weekends and do some cooking for her, but found that chemo affected her taste - both cravings and actual sense of taste - so much that I was useless in that. I mean, how do you cook for someone who just wants a box of Cheez-Its? There were times I felt helpless in trying to help her.

One thing that, I think it was, American Cancer Society recommends is massages. Gift certificate for a massage might be nice.

If she is undergoing treatment that will cause hair loss, she may want to go wig shopping. My sister, her daughter, and I went wig shopping. We had a lot of laughs. The most important thing was that we found a wig shop and salesperson who work a lot with chemo patients. She understood the need to feel normal, to have a wig that makes a person look just like they did pre-chemo, the quality of materials and the (dis)comforts of each. If your DH's assistant doesn't have anyone to do something like that with her, she might welcome the support for that shopping trip. (This feels as if it could be a sensitive topic, so you might have to approach this topic through her husband.)

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have found that a gift certificate for a spa day (facials, etc) can really help people going through chemo/radiation.

dmansprincess

Certified Ski Diva
I havent been on the forums a lot and posted, but this topic is one that is near and dear to my heart. When I was 23 newly married and had a 7 week old daughter we found out my husband had stage 3/4 Gray Zone Lymphoma. He is in remission, but needless to say we took a lot of help during those months, and a lot of the help was from people at least 3-4 hours away as we had no family near by. Some ideas:

Cleaning service
Pharmacy gift cards (I never knew someone could spend so much at a pharmacy until I went to fill his first prescriptions and paid $500)
Gift cards to places they like to eat
Cards just saying someone is thinking of them
Lawn mowing service (I know we have had to start mowing some here in Kansas)
Dry Cleaning gift card to help with laundry services
Grocery gift cards
Gas gift cards
Magazine subscriptions that can be read during long chemo appoints (if that is what she will do)
Movie rental gift cards (there is a lot of time spent resting and you can easily run out of things to do and watch on tv)

These are just a few ideas and a lot of them can be catered to any budget. Hope this helps.

Pamela

Lilywhite

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You have had some great suggestions already, I'm sure just knowing people care will help her state of mind. Hand written letters or nice cards are few and far between and such a joy to receive in the age of emails.

Bayla

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BE SUPPORTIVE!!! I lost my mom to cancer about a year and a half ago, after a 4 year battle at age 65. She had many go rounds with chemo and radiation. There are so many treatments and varying side effects so as for what type of support, that may vary depending on her needs. My mom didn't tell anyone other than our immediate family. Due to the hospitalizations, friends knew she was sick, but she didn't want anyone to know it was cancer until about a year before she passed. She didn't want to be treated with the cancer stigma and there is most definitely a stigma. So, no matter what form of support you choose, I think the best thing you can do is be consistent for the duration of her illness/recovery. It seems many people all do and say the right thing after someone gets sick, but as time passes they move on with their lives and their support dwindles. Money can't buy support, and it doesn't require any money to be supportive so no one who is sick should ever have to go without support!!!!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
caring bridge ( at least I think that's what it is called) is a really good website to keep the communications lines open for people who care with out the energy needed to contact people individually.

SkiNana

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If she loses her hair: wigs can be hot and itchy and women often don't want to wear them all the time. At home, an alternative is to wear a turban. My mother died of lung cancer, and she preferred these around the house and had several that she wore instead of wigs. (Eventually she even wore them when she went out, but she was 80 when she died.) You might see if you can find a pretty turban if she is going to lose her hair.

Tvan

Angel Diva
+1 for the suggestion of a caringbridge.org site. Last year, my neighbor's 13 year old daughter developed aplastic anemia and the family set up a caringbridge site which became their lifeline connection to friends and family around the world. Julia was hospitalized many times up until her death last month from complications of her bone marrow transplant. The family continues to update the site, and Team Julia continues to post messages to the family.

mustski

Angel Diva
My mom also experienced feeling cold a lot when she was going through chemo. Part of it, I'm sure was the initial weight loss from the cancer. If you want to send a gift that says we care ... I would include some good skin lotion, cuticle cream (those crack and hurt something terrible), a nice throw blankie, a gift card for some take out/pick up type food, and a heartfelt "thinking of you" card. Anything you send will be from both of you and needs to remain on the professional side so your DH's intentions aren't misconstrued (unless they are really close, then disregard anything I have said!)

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, thanks ... and so you all know, I really was looking for things specific to chemotherapy and ways it affects a person. We have sent several gift cards to Whole Foods and more generic things like that already ... I mean "generic" as in, anyone going through a tough time can use that kind of stuff. I'm not totally clueless, just clueless about chemo.

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Echoing what mustski said about being cold. DH is going through that right now; he just can't get warm (it doesn't help that it's REALLY cold outside, at least for here). There are alternate down blankets and throws available that are fantastic, and can be washed too.

Mom of Redheads

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After reading about how people get cold - I'm thinking to myself "Pinto should send a nice down sweater." ... being that you are such an experienced consumer of down products, of course... ;-) I'm only partly being funny. I stick my Lands End down coat on in the house regularly all winter long (DH thinks I'm nuts).

These are good suggestions. I will file them away for future use, and hope all goes well for your DH's assistant.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went through 6 months of very strong chemotherapy. The good thing is, it was just once every 3 weeks, lasting for about 3hrs each time. I took my laptop along and chatted with friends, watched dvds of Dave Matthews Band concerts, or movies, etc. Mine were during the winter and early spring and yes, I did get cold, but mostly due to hair loss. Each person is different and chemo treatments vary alot according to the type of cancer being fought. Thankfully there are amazing anti nausea meds that help with that. Used to nausea was a terrible side effect. I took, not only a drug called Emend, but also a steroid for a few days after each treatment. I did experience loss of taste for about 5 days after each treatment, meaning everything I ate tasted like paper! Blech! After that, my food tasted fine and I had a good appetite. For me, weight loss during chemo was not an issue. This is not always the case for chemo patients. Some experience terrible taste alterations, often certain foods will have a metallic taste. The doctor told me that most people began losing hair 2 weeks after the first treatment. He was right on. I have had short hair for years and sure, it was awful to lose hair, but I shaved it off as soon as it began to fall out in clumps. For me it was just cleaner and easier to deal with. That way I could cry it all away at one time, then be fine and I was. Some chemo drugs do not cause hair loss.
My first 2 treatments didn't really cause me to feel too tired, but after the 3rd I would have a few days of getting tired more easily. I'm a high energy person though and maybe not typical. I was also in very good condition prior to my surgery, radiation and then chemo. It's very important to drink plenty of water. It was in my case and for some other folks I know, as well as patients I have cared for, when working in long term care. Caffeine can be sort of irritation to some people. Also high acid foods, because chemo destroys fast developing cells, like in the mouth. Some people develope neuropathy, causing swelling and numbness in legs, feet and hands. I did. It can be quite uncomfortable and painful for some people. Sometimes my regular shoes and jeans just didn't fit right, so I bought some looser things and didn't pay much for them. The numbness in my hands subsided, thank God!, but I still have some numbness in my feet, making them feel sort of on the brink of going to sleep and my socks never feel right. I've gotten used to it, but that is the worst long term side effect I had from my treatment. It worried me so much, because I was naturally wondering how it would effect my skiing. Early on it might have made a difference, but now, it doesn't.
It's very difficult to know how certain chemo treatments will affect each person. I can only speak from what I experienced and from what a few other people I know have.
As much as anything, I love getting cards from people. Funny cards, or whatever. One of the nurses I worked with would send me some silly, medical themed cartoon she'd clip from a paper or magazine or whatever.She did this, because she knew me well and medical humor was a daily part of our life work ing. Laughter is good. I loved all of my cards though, no matter what. Talking on the DMB fan site message boards with all of my friends literally from all over the world was a source of joy for me. My church family was wonderful, never intrusive, but always there. Music and my artwork helped keep me sane. I took a walk everyday. Sometimes it might just be equal to a city block, here near my house, or I'd venture out into the woods for a hour long hike, but I had to have fresh air everyday. Skin is very sun sensitive. Sunscreen, hats and for summer, long sleeved, lightweight shirts are needed when outdoors. Dry mouth is a problem for some people and was sometimes for me. Mints or something were always nice to have around. I loved Ginger Altoids. : )
I know this is terribly long, but maybe will give you some idea of what your friend might experience through this journey. I wish them all well and I'm sure whatever you or anyone can do to support them will be appreciated. Just finding what the person's interests and loves are and touching on those with some simple, thoughtful gift can mean a lot. Nothing expensive, even a card or bookmark. Those things are like hugs from far away. One of my friends, who does ceramics for a living, made a special coffee/tea mug for me, with a line from the lyrics of my favorite song. I treasure that. I got soft socks, comfy pj pants, just whatever and each little thing was very important to me and brought love and comfort with it.
Forgive my longwinded post. I hope something in it will be helpful. :grouphug:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, DH's executive assistant has been diagnosed with ovarian cancer. I am not sure which stage, I think 2, it hadn't really spread when they caught it. She had a hysterectomy a couple of weeks ago; they were thinking only radiation at first, but today they decided to do chemo too.

Now, somehow I have made it this far without having a close friend or family member have to go through chemotherapy. ...

You know when they say, "Just keep your mouth shut!" ??? Since I posted that, back in spring, a former neighbor has had a double mastectomy and is undergoing chemo, my brother's best friend has been fighting leukemia and has completed FOUR rounds of chemo, and now my mother's best friend (and the neighbor from across the street growing up, like my second mom) was just yesterday diagnosed with some kind of metastasized mass (near but not in her lungs, not sure what yet, probably colon). I have learned enough, thank you very much. And I think CaringBridge is great, but I'm tired of it. /rant over

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, Pinto, I am so sorry. You really have been through the ringer. I know what you mean about CaringBridge though. Every time I receive a notification from it (my first experience with it was a friend awaiting a liver transplant, then DonDenver, now your brother's friend) my heart beats faster and I'm a bit frightened to open it up and see what is said. I've had amazingly wonderful news from it (when the friend got his liver) and news that has sent me into sobbing near hysterics.

Take care my friend and if you need to talk or go for a drink or hike or scream or whatever please call.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga