• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me understand my demos (volklgirl...)

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First year skiing I chaperoned 5 kids' lessons in early 2009. Got our first season passes for the next season, 2009-10. Developed awful, and I mean awful, habits in just one year. Put the kids on race team so they would become good skiers in 2010-11 and I started parents' lessons the team offered--my first lessons ever. Realized HOW MUCH I SUCKED!! Made a lot of progress (mostly in realizing how much I sucked) and now this year things are falling into place. I demoed last year but then I thought I probably wasn't even skiing well enough to understand the demo and interpet the skis correctly. Was excited to demo again this year.

I currently ski on 2009 Head Cool Ones, 156. When I bought them I didn't get to demo because one person had them out ALL DAY (and I'm pretty sure it was a personal friend of the demo worker), but I bought them anyway because I was a total eager beaver and I had "done my research." Skipress said they were awesome, so surely I would think so, too, right? My boots do need some adjusting, but even considering that these past two years of lessons have made me feel more and more like they aren't the ski for me. One of my teachers said a few weeks ago (and he is a FANTASTIC teacher) that he didn't think the front of my skis engaged for me well.

I'm 5'5", 110-115 lbs, a real lightweight. I used to get a good amount of exercise (running 30 mi/week, biking 40 mi/week), but not anymore. I figured my legs were so atrophied now that leg strength was nil, but I have started some exercises and turns out they are stronger than I thought...but not super strong like they used to be, of course. I assumed I would probably require a softer ski, maybe even a shorter one even, or a junior race ski.

Now it's demo day. All these skis were a 156. First ski was Volkl Fuego. Surely all Volkls are too stiff for me, but the other skis I wanted were already out. They were great! My main objective was to find one that allowed me to make tighter turns. Not only were my turns, even on my bad side, tighter, but I had better balance and felt very stable. I actually felt very much in control, and I was skiing them instead of vice versa. I figured Volkl was making beginner-ish ski and the Fuego must be it. Then I did Rossi Temptation with wide underfoot--awful, felt unstable with bad control, more anti-balance than balance. Then Viva ?7.4?--awful (and this one might have been shorter than 156). The demo guy said the Vivas were way too soft for me, and the Fuego was stiff for "experts". What? A soft ski doesn't work for me? Big surprise. Then I tried a Viva 8.1, and it was better, but not as good as the Volkl. Next was Nordica Cinnamon Girl, close to the Fuego but not quite as good, barely. I then took the Volkls out for another run to see if the difference was morning vs. afternoon snow, but the Volkls were still superior.

What in the world does that mean? What is the Fuego like, and what does this say about my skiing? I really don't understand how I can flex a stiff ski enough to make small turns, but my Fuego turns were great.

And, my own skis are tuned well enough for that not to be the issue. They're not razors, but they're filed and sharp.

Anyway, this whole experience was the opposite of what I expected. Since the Volkl Fuego is buggly--butt butt ugly--maybe that's why they like me. No chance of a cool ski for me. Volkl found a way to take my favorite color, red, and make it look like a business stationery heading. Why the sedate graphics, is there NO effort put into appearances with them?! Time to raid the kids' sticker stash for some dinosaur, princess, and Lightning McQueen accents. (If I can buy the skis, that is.)

P.S. When I know I won't be the blind leading the blind I'll post in the Gear Review section. For now I think we're all better off if I keep my demo thoughts out of any "review."

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Soft skis are not necessarily great. They are good to learn, but you are not a beginner. You obviously have some leg power to stir, and even being lightweight (I am your weight, only bit taller) you are not underweight or super tiny, so there is no reason why you shouldn't like the skis. Stiffer skis have better edge hold and stability, plus they are recreational skis, so even when they are "stiff" they are not race-stiff. Maybe you can rent Fuego's for a day and see how you feel about them then? In my opinion in a couple of runs you might be able to tell that you DON'T like the skis, but liking the skis is a bit different, especially if you also ski other skis during the day. Take them for the whole day and if you still like them then they are the right skis for you regardless of their branding.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About the Volkl Biologic line(including the volkl Fuego)
They made the tip stiffer, and the tail softer and skinnier, as well as changed the delta on the system binding to take out the ramp.
What this does is makes the ski forgiving.

The other skis you mentioned that you didn't like tend to be fairly advanced skis that aren't quite so forgiving.

For my personal tastes, I'm not fond of the Biologic system, but I can see why someone would like it.

RuthB

Angel Diva
One of my teachers said a few weeks ago (and he is a FANTASTIC teacher) that he didn't think the front of my skis engaged for me well.

Can you demo (i.e. pay for the demo and if you buy claim the demo cost off of the sale) the skis on the day you have a lesson and see what your instructor thinks you ski like on them? Sometimes someone else looking can spot things that it is difficult to sense when you are skiing a ski.

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had the same experience and was surprised that I could flex a stiff ski given my height and weight (5'3, 115). I am now a Volkl girl! If you really hate the top sheets of the Fuego ( I don't think they are that bad) look at the Tierra. Similar ski, a bit wider in the waist, more subdued graphics this year (kicking myself because I bought them last year and talk about Bugly!). I liked the Sol too...

Stowski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more thought, you might like the Nordica Infinite too!

cyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just bought the Tierras - on sale. I demoed them a couple of weeks ago and I was hooked. I still love my Auras, but I needed a pair of carvers and these fit the bill perfectly.:becky:
Thanks to all the Divas who gave me such great advice when I was shopping for them!

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more thought, you might like the Nordica Infinite too!

The Nordica rep didn't bring the Infinite. I skied it last year and loved it, but that was when I realized I couldn't trust my skills. I think the Infinite just basically plowed through the crud that day and I just rode it and said, "WHEEEEEEEEE!" I couldn't honestly say I had controlled it. I decided to keeping working and this year I know I'm able to learn from my demos. I sure wish he had the Infinite there. And, I LOVED those psychedelic graphics from last year (and this year).

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
About the Volkl Biologic line(including the volkl Fuego)
They made the tip stiffer, and the tail softer and skinnier, as well as changed the delta on the system binding to take out the ramp.
What this does is makes the ski forgiving.

The other skis you mentioned that you didn't like tend to be fairly advanced skis that aren't quite so forgiving.

Great information, SnowHot. :smile:

deannatoby

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Second that, it was good info, and it makes sense based on my demo experience. "Forgiving" is good because I'm asking for forgiveness quite often on the slopes!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga