• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help me buy my first ski!!

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to buy my first pair of adult ski. I've been skiing on a cheap junior ski for 2 seasons now as I'm taking lessons. I'm 5'2" 120 lbs and I think I'm an immediate skier. I do mostly blue runs and easy black. I'm from Seattle WA so it's mostly sticky, icy snow with the occasional powder day. I'm planning to get the Ikon pass to ski more places so I'm looking for an all mountain ski. I demoed the Blizzard Sheeva 9 157cm last week and my calves was cramping up like crazy. I love the speed and stability it gives me but maybe it's too advance for me or could be bad boot as well (their junior boys boots and I have big calves, they didn't bother me as much since I was using junior ski). I'm planning to keep taking lesson and ski every weekend next season so I want something I can grow into as well! I enjoy some speed, carving, quick short turn but nothing too crazy.

I'm debating between (ranking from most wanted to least):
Salomon QST Lux 92 153cm
Elan Ripstick 94 154cm

I'm really set on the Salomon because the price as well.

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
Is there a reason you're looking at skis in that width? Given the snow conditions you state, something narrower would be more useful.
I’m looking for a happy medium width that can handle all terrain. I want it to as versatile as much as possible!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you are budgeting for new skis, DEFINITELY budget for new boots first. It will make a world of difference having properly fitted boots, if you have large calves yet are somehow squishing into a junior race boot chances are there is an opportunity to improve on the fit! That way you will remove the "is it my boot, or is it the ski?" variable when you try skis.

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
If you are budgeting for new skis, DEFINITELY budget for new boots first. It will make a world of difference having properly fitted boots, if you have large calves yet are somehow squishing into a junior race boot chances are there is an opportunity to improve on the fit! That way you will remove the "is it my boot, or is it the ski?" variable when you try skis.
Yes I should of mentioned i’m getting a whole new set up. Boots, ski, binding, & poles. I was thinking to get the Dalbello Panterra 85 like today or tomorrow since I read some positive reviews about it and wide calves. Then i’m gonna demo the salomon qst lux 92 this weekend! I want to get all my gear and try it once before the season end!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m looking for a happy medium width that can handle all terrain. I want it to as versatile as much as possible!

Because you are wanting a one-ski quiver, look for skis that will be used at least 80% on terrain you will be skiing most of the time. You mention powder as an occasional use, where those wider skis will be beneficial; however you say you like carving ---which is done on groomed slopes--- and a ski in the 90 width range is going to make this more difficult.

newboots

Angel Diva
The boots are the most important part of your investment! We have a saying: Date your skis, but marry your boots.

Skis are more fun to shop for and buy, but boots have a huge impact on your success in skiing.

Best of luck!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As others have said, the boots are most critical. Work with someone that fits boots if you can. Shopping for a boot to accommodate large calves is secondary to finding a boot that fits your FOOT !!

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
Because you are wanting a one-ski quiver, look for skis that will be used at least 80% on terrain you will be skiing most of the time. You mention powder as an occasional use, where those wider skis will be beneficial; however you say you like carving ---which is done on groomed slopes--- and a ski in the 90 width range is going to make this more difficult.
Do you have a recommendation for a happy medium width ski that would fit my need, pretty new to ski gear since I have only been renting and using a junior ski? I do ski mostly groom trails and PNW snow when I don't travel.

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
The boots are the most important part of your investment! We have a saying: Date your skis, but marry your boots.

Skis are more fun to shop for and buy, but boots have a huge impact on your success in skiing.

Best of luck!
Thank you, I'm definitely trying to get a boot that fit me well!!

former-boarder

Certified Ski Diva
I'm your size and also ski in the PNW (mostly Stevens and Snoqualmie Pass). I currently ski the Blizzard Alight 8.0 (80 under foot) and they've been great for groomers. I've taken them off-piste as I've advanced as a skier and they are okay, but they are not good in deep new snow (no float). I expect to replace them in the near future with something a bit wider as I expand my ski horizons (still researching the options...)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to buy my first pair of adult ski. I've been skiing on a cheap junior ski for 2 seasons now as I'm taking lessons. I'm 5'2" 120 lbs and I think I'm an immediate skier. I do mostly blue runs and easy black. I'm from Seattle WA so it's mostly sticky, icy snow with the occasional powder day. I'm planning to get the Ikon pass to ski more places so I'm looking for an all mountain ski.
Welcome! For a point of comparison, I'm somewhat more petite, probably older, and have become an advanced skier in the last decade. I've had my own boots for decades and they were always adult boots (size 7 street shoes). My all-mountain skis that I use out west in assorted conditions are 85 underfoot. Before that I had a pair of skis that were 75 underfoot when I was only skiing off-piste about 40% of the time at big mountains out west. I only rent skis that are 95mm or wider when there is more than 10 inches of fresh powder.

I'm debating between (ranking from most wanted to least):
Salomon QST Lux 92 153cm
Elan Ripstick 94 154cm

I've demo'd both of these in recent years. I wouldn't buy either for skiing groomers. But everyone has different likes and dislikes when it comes to choosing skis that are fun.

There are a lot of good options in the 85-88 width range.

BinhHua14

Diva in Training
I'm your size and also ski in the PNW (mostly Stevens and Snoqualmie Pass). I currently ski the Blizzard Alight 8.0 (80 under foot) and they've been great for groomers. I've taken them off-piste as I've advanced as a skier and they are okay, but they are not good in deep new snow (no float). I expect to replace them in the near future with something a bit wider as I expand my ski horizons (still researching the options...)
I have been skiing mostly at Snoqualmie Pass. I got to tried out the blizzard sheeva 9 at Crystal Mountain but didn’t really enjoy it. It seem to be too stiff and too long for me at 157cm. I wanted to demo the santa anna 88 151cm but they dont have them available. My current ski is a junior ski 124cm long, 70cm waist. I find it too narrow for the PNW weather and of course my level as well. I got it 2 seasons ago to learn skiing as I was told I was small and short enough that this would help me learn better (I was 20lbs lighter). I'm demoing the Salomon QST Lux 92 this weekend so I'll report back on how that goes!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
With your current ski being a very, very short 120 with a 70 width, that Lux 92 is going to feel like piloting a Naval Destroyer. 157 is not a bad length range for your stats when you skied the Sheeva, but again, you're jumping up to a totally different kind of ski experience on wide and longer skis.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
With your current ski being a very, very short 120 with a 70 width, that Lux 92 is going to feel like piloting a Naval Destroyer. 157 is not a bad length range for your stats when you skied the Sheeva, but again, you're jumping up to a totally different kind of ski experience on wide and longer skis.
Try the Sheeva 9 in a 149..........

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are your current skis really a 124 or was that a typo? I started on some 136?? Atomic Cool Minx and found them too short right off the bat, so I can't even imagine 124.

ETA: I'm 5'1" and 100 lbs.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a similar size to you, having put on 10lb in the last year or so (2020 was stressful!). I would still say get your boots first!! They were really what helped me progress, even though my first pair was a bit big and I was only using hire skis to learn on at that point.

When you ski something short and narrow, the jump to longer, wider skis is going to be big. I think you should also consider narrower widths for what you're likely to ski the most and actually progress on, especially if you didn't enjoy the Sheevas - I would say to me they didn't feel like a particularly stiff ski at all, but perhaps the 157 was too long for you?
I also thought I would want a mid-90s ski as my daily ski based on reviews when I first started demoing and looking at purchasing skis, but as soon as I demo'd I realised I wasn't looking at the right skis for me and also that there's not as small, intermediate skiers that write reviews! It's only as I've started to become a better skiers and more confident off piste on my mid-80s skis that I've wanted something wider. I wasn't that impressed by my friend's Santa Anas back in 2016/17ish when she first got them, but the newest version of the SA93 is now the one I want to buy!

What about trying the Nordica SA88, the Volkl Yumi 84 (note that the older version has titanal and the newer goes back to non metal construction), and the Rossignol Experience 84 W as well as the Salomon QST 85? All represent a step up width wise for you but are more all mountain, come in shorter lengths which might be more suitable to how you ski. I don't think a mid-80s ski is less versatile for someone skiing mostly groomer days. I can speak to the (2019) Yumi being versatile - I have taken it out at all times of the season, on narrow groomers with barely any snow, to Japan (although only in knee-deep powder) and in trees, and I would say the thing I notice most about it is decreased grip on crust and ice compared to my narrower skis.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What about trying the Nordica SA88, the Volkl Yumi 84 (note that the older version has titanal and the newer goes back to non metal construction), and the Rossignol Experience 84 W as well as the Salomon QST 85? All represent a step up width wise for you but are more all mountain, come in shorter lengths which might be more suitable to how you ski. I don't think a mid-80s ski is less versatile for someone skiing mostly groomer days. I can speak to the (2019) Yumi being versatile - I have taken it out at all times of the season, on narrow groomers with barely any snow, to Japan (although only in knee-deep powder) and in trees, and I would say the thing I notice most about it is decreased grip on crust and ice compared to my narrower skis.

It looks like the Yumi still has the titanal under the binding? I went to check Volkl's site b/c I was disappointed if they'd cut it out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga