• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Head Absolute Joy

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I think one directional is a great way to describe the total joy. To each his own and one person's nightmare is another person's gem and all of that. However, the only conditions I had the Total Joy out in was soft spring snow and it didn't want to play at all. I was surprised at how stiff the graphene made the ski and apparently had it out in the wrong conditions. However, at 85 underfoot I was expecting a little more from it in the softer snow.

I agree totally and that was the essence of my review in another thread. This ski seemed so off in softer snow why do I want 85 underfoot? I would have been happier with it at 75.

Skisailor

Angel Diva
I agree totally and that was the essence of my review in another thread. This ski seemed so off in softer snow why do I want 85 underfoot? I would have been happier with it at 75.

Realized I'm giving this ski a bad name. It's the Total Joy - not the Absolute Joy that I skied and reviewed.
Too much Joy!!

@Skisailor so you thought the absolut joy, the subject of this thread was a fun zippy carver? The total joy at 85 underfoot was the one you didn't like yes?

Last edited:

Skisailor

Angel Diva
@Skisailor so you thought the total joy was a fun zippy carver? That's the one that's 85 underfoot. The Absolut Joy is 79 underfoot I believe.

Yup. I thought it was really fun and totally ripped up the groomers but just that it was a one trick pony -
not nearly as versatile as my existing front side carver - the Tierras. For those who like light equipment though, I think the graphene really delivered in terms of stiffness and stability for such a light ski! I guess afterwards I was just thinking I might as well have been on the Absolute which would be even quicker edge to edge. The 85 underfoot seemed totally wasted.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here are the stats I put in my notes when I demo'd at Massanutten Jan 2015. (I'm 5'0", 120 lbs, advanced.) Liked the Total Joy well enough but certainly no reason to replace my BPs with them.

* Head Absolut Joy at 153, 128-78-108 R11.8; 20% rocker mostly at tip, 80% camber

* Head Total Joy at 158, 133/85/133 R13.6 @ 163cm

I checked out the Great Joy at the Alta Demo Day, but only on frozen groomers so it was pretty hard to tell what it would do on soft snow or off-piste. Did better than expected on the groomers.

* Head Great Joy, 163cm, 140-98-123, R13.3

That's good to know about the great joy in how it handled the groomers. I am sure with those specs it will do just awesome on soft snow/off piste. I really want to try this ski this season.

I suspected when I had the total joy in soft snow that its shining moment would be in the harder snow given how stiff it was. I was just so very surprised that at 85 underfoot it didn't do better in the softer snow, it was horrible.

I bet the absolute joy is a ton of fun in the groomers

Love the tierra/charisma. I hear so much about this ski being such a versatile front side carver, makes me smile.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I suspected when I had the total joy in soft snow that its shining moment would be in the harder snow given how stiff it was. I was just so very surprised that at 85 underfoot it didn't do better in the softer snow, it was horrible.
You may recall that I reviewed this ski last season; I believe you commented on the post.

For me, it did not “shine” on hard pack/hard-groomed. The core transmitted feedback that was painful. @volklgirl and I shared this impression. She’s been on way more skis than I have.

I had no problem flexing and turning it. It just...had NO “shock absorbers,” for lack of a better word. It was punishing. Length was low 160's.

Of course, this may well have been partially due to my very thin stature. I’ve also “done battle” with Volkl Aura and Kenja, which, while they did not have the jarring feedback, always seem to perform better with a heavier pilot.

My take: the “light ski trend” is yet another pendulum that may have swung a bit too far with this core. If you remove all the suspension from your vehicle, it will also be much lighter. Good luck with that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga