• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Have you opted out of Spokeo?

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A friend of mine has had his identity stolen. It's a good time for a reminder.

Would you do yourself a favor and check https://www.spokeo.com to see if you are on there. The purpose behind Spokeo is a white pages-type look up service. It gets information from websites, surveys, public records, etc. I just think it goes too far.

Not only does it have your home address, your home phone, spouse's name, a MAP to your house, then it goes waaaay too far. It lists your KIDS, your income, your birthdate or zodiac sign, education, etc.

To check to see if you are on there, go to the website www.spokeo.com and type in your name. IF you are, I suggest you opt out of it.

To remove your information, go to the "Privacy " tab on the bottom of the page. Instructions are there. Basically, you need to copy the address line of our information page and paste it in the blank on the Privacy page. Add your email address so they can send a confirmation to your email, and add the security code. Enter.

When the confirmation email comes to your email box, click on the link. BE SURE TO DO THIS STEP.

AND while you are thinking about stuff, your Ski Diva Geek would like to suggest that you BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER TODAY. Nag, nag, nag.

Mods:if you think this is an inappropriate forum for this, just delete it. BTW, SD and WC, your information in on there.

altagirl

Staff member
https://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/spokeo.asp

While you're right about the info available - apparently it probably won't do you any good to try and have your information removed. Snopes seems to think that their goal may actually be to collect email addresses since they don't respond to inquiries and their attemtps to have information removed have been unsuccessful.

If you successfully got them to remove your info, do tell! :smile:

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did have my info removed successfully. I check periodically though, just in case it reappears. It has not, so far.

As for the email address I gave them, I have a very weak gmail address I give for things like this, just in case. I use it for Craigslist transactions and the like. I haven't had the gmail account spammed yet, so I see that as a good sign.

Time will tell. :noidea:

abc

Banned
I wouldn't bother with that site. Let alone "blocking/removing" it. I'd be happy anyone look for me there.

I did find my name on it, but with the wrong address (close but wrong). Wrong age, wrong merrage status, wrong education, even wrong head of household.

The funny thing is, the information mostly reflects my mother's home, which I'm the register owner of all the utilities signed up years ago and is probably "public record" long ago. (My Mom always politely ask all telemarketers to "leave a number for her to call back", knowing full well I never do) My own address, in the mean time, doesn't show up at all, because I opted for the "non-public" option.

I love mis-informations. It hides the real information. And I don't have to lift a finger to do anything.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One neighbor of mine had the correct address, phone numbers, a photo of the house, the value of the house, their annual income, and included the names of her 10 and 5 year old daughters! Frankly, I was alarmed that someone could discover so much from that website.

I'm creeped out to think that some perv can discover that much information from a couple of clicks.

Everyone can do what they want with the information I gave - Delete, Cancel or Ignore. I don't make the news, I just report it.

Anna

Angel Diva
Oh! How unnerving!

I searched for oen of my best friends and his family.
He and his mum are not on there BUT his dad is and so too is his recently deceased brother and ex sister in law!

BAD STUFF
And it's accurate too - the house pictures are correct.
I do not like it.
Surely it is an invasion of privacy?!?!?!

Thank you for advising - I have let my friend know.

abc

Banned
BAD STUFF
And it's accurate too - the house pictures are correct.
I do not like it.
Surely it is an invasion of privacy?!?!?!
I'm not sure it is an "invasion of privacy" if the record was "public" to begin with.

Address: in the good old days, phone company would list your address with your number, unless you opt out. With "public" address, it's a peice of cake to have photo of the house shown (via google earth). I'm pretty sure the facade of a house is "public" information...

As for kid's age, I don't know for sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's the kids themselves providing those information online without much of a thought.

My point being, some may find it disturbing that someone actually pull all those information together in an easy to use format on a website that any ill-intentioned peep could access. But often times, such information has always been available publicly for anyone who care to look. So perhaps rather than getting upset about the "information presentor", one ought to be more careful about giving out such information in the first place? (e.g. Facebook entries and security settings)

Anna

Angel Diva
:smile:
Maybe it's the way it's presented.
But the thing is that the people I looked up are almost in their seventies - no facebook etc etc - not even email. So all their contact info has been pulled from the phone book - sure - that's a simple thing....
But, how does this site gather their other information?
Where is it available? This couple are ex NSA and Navy. It's nto like they splash about their info .....
I am just pleased that we don't have an open access site in Australia like this.
My personal stuff is all private and concealed info inc my StalkBook and FaceSpace stuff. Even my friends can't get my details :smile:

"Constant Vigilance" as Mad-Eye Moody says!!
(which reminds me I reall should disable my FaceSpace since I haven't used it in FOREVER :smile:

Jilly

Staff member
I am just pleased that we don't have an open access site in Australia like this.

Seems the same thing here in Canuck land. Nothing comes up for anyone I know. If I do enter a name, then only american ones come up.

But it does make you wonder about the "stuff" out there!

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I forget that we are of different nationalities. Our love of skiing blurs the international borders.

abc

Banned
Seems the same thing here in Canuck land. Nothing comes up for anyone I know. If I do enter a name, then only american ones come up.
Maybe Canucks are not as nosy as their southern neighbour? :wink:

No interest => no market => no website ?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, unbeknownst to me, I'm married and a Capricorn. My b/f is less than 100% thrilled about that ... the married part, that is.

Of course, what right does he have to complain. According to that site, he is single with his ex-wife and some stranger living with him.

Apparently we are more liberal than I realized.

sibhusky

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter is married to a 50 year old man, living in a 1 million dollar house with no heat and no fireplace, has children and only a high school education.

Since she's single and never been married and hasn't left home, this will all be news to her. And, oh yes, apparently that college degree was totally worthless....

We should tell the bank our home is worth so much, the mortgage appraiser didn't think so by a long shot, and the last time I looked I hadn't frozen to death.

abc

Banned
Well, unbeknownst to me, I'm married and a Capricorn. My b/f is less than 100% thrilled about that ... the married part, that is.

Of course, what right does he have to complain. According to that site, he is single with his ex-wife and some stranger living with him.

Apparently we are more liberal than I realized.
:ROTF:

Actually, that was what the website said about me too (the married part)! :smile: And my "husband" is quite a few years younger than me and "wealthy"!:yahoo:

I'd be out of my mind to want to REMOVE such flattering "information" about me!:laugh:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna