• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Got my COVID vaccine

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
WI was really sucking wind early. Lagging on vaccination rates, with first being providers/caregivers/frontline essentials/65+ (IIRC). then was educators, and more frontlines. This week with the list they released with all chronic conditions INCLUDING BMI 26+, most of the state‘s adults are eligible, and the clinics are somehow keeping up. I think we’re near the top per capita on vaccines administered.

I do think there’s speed and value in just jabbing everyone asap. people will still get it, carry it, virus will virus and mutate, etc.

But the less people who can, the better it will be.

MissySki

Angel Diva
MA is clearly starting to reach out via the medical databases. My daughter had blood tests done by Mass General when she was in school in Weston. I got a text today on her behalf letting her know she might be able to get an appointment. Obviously no longer relevant since she left the area in June 2019. Also she's been vaccinated because she' has a part-time job in NC that qualified her as a medical worker.

My dad had been contacted by his doctor when eligible, but it was weeks before I could actually get him an appointment.. He was also put on a list for a site near him that never amounted to anything, they never followed back up that I know of. I’m glad I was diligent in taking the lead on booking for him myself. He’ll be getting his second Moderna April 4th.

I think things have gotten better now for scheduling since people can at least pre-register for a bunch of sites and get contacted to make an appointment. I know some who had this work well for them, but others who went on to schedule elsewhere because they haven’t gotten through that way as quickly.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Huh, but so far no one in my family here in MA is eligible. DH and my brother will both be on the 5th (one over 55, the other with one comorbidity). I’ll be eligible after the 19th. Which is the same date my youngest (19) is eligible in Maine where they are in college.

It’s weird that the April 19th date encompasses so many isn’t it? Technically your teen would also be eligible in MA on the same date as you right? Question is, how long will it take to schedule an appointment in that group once eligible. Have you all preregistered?

My mom is 62 in NH and couldn’t get an appointment until April 9th. Though she became eligible to register for an appointment early this week. In NH you have to register with the state site and they contact you for an appointment, even for pharmacies etc. So much less autonomy in scheduling up there, but she did receive an appointment date quickly after signing up even though it was for 2.5 weeks out.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just got my second Pfizer shot.
I got my second shot on Tuesday, and today is Thursday. It's two days out and I've had no reactions except the sore arm, which is now less sore. I'm 70. Friends who are close to my age around here (MA) also have had no big reactions to their second shots.

I'm beginning to think those big reactions happen more often to younger people.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Mine was Moderna and a definite reaction that lasted 2,1/2 days. So Pfizer fewer side effects in older population?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I got my second shot on Tuesday, and today is Thursday. It's two days out and I've had no reactions except the sore arm, which is now less sore. I'm 70. Friends who are close to my age around here (MA) also have had no big reactions to their second shots.

This has been stated from clinical trial data. Younger equals more likely to have a stronger immune response after dose 2. Though it still varies by individual of course.

My significant other is in his 40s and got his second dose of Moderna Tuesday. He quickly started feeling achy and sore all over within a few hours, terrible headache started the following day along with being very tired. No reaction besides the sore arm to dose 1. He thought this morning was a bit better overall but still not normal, he’s been able to go to work throughout though and no notable fever.

My headache lasted until yesterday from dose 1 (maybe, still can’t be sure if it was vaccine related having started 36 hours out. Since headache is a major side effect I feel it could be though.), I’m not super excited to see how I might feel after dose 2. On the other hand I’m looking forward to getting it over with and hope I’m one without the extra aches and such..

Last edited:

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
So, I was fine all day yesterday but slept like crap last night (post shot 2 at 10 am yesterday). I normally sleep like the dead and I woke up probably hourly all night.
In hindsight, I would take Tylenol pm instead of regular Tylenol ...

My Tdap booster made my arm more sore, but the headache is real.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ll let you all know how I fare in a couple of weeks. At least this time I plan to be properly caffeinated so I can rule out caffeine headache. I’m a little anxious about how bad I’ll feel.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This has been stated from clinical trial data. Younger equals more likely to have a stronger immune response after dose 2. Though it still varies by individual of course.....

Is there any evidence that people who have no side-effects after the second vaccine are less protected in the long run than those who have notable side-effects?

TeleChica

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MA is clearly starting to reach out via the medical databases. My daughter had blood tests done by Mass General when she was in school in Weston. I got a text today on her behalf letting her know she might be able to get an appointment. Obviously no longer relevant since she left the area in June 2019. Also she's been vaccinated because she' has a part-time job in NC that qualified her as a medical worker.

Actually, after the initial outrage when Governor Baker took shots away from hospitals, then gave them back, hospital systems have been reaching out for awhile. My SO and I got texts several weeks ago on the same day with a link to schedule appointments on the same day. We knew my SO was eligible with 2 health conditions (aka beer and cigars, ha) but as far as I know I only had one eligible condition, BMI, so I'm not sure why I was eligible--I think they were counting high blood pressure which was not on the state list. I see my doctor soon, so I'm going to ask.

Anyway, we both got our first shots yesterday. Both had sore arms and nothing else so far. I thought I had just the slightest bit of tingling/itchiness here and there, but I absolutely could have imagined it.

I was surprised that I wasn't more relieved. I was also surprised that I was a bit nervous about the vaccine. I am a health/medical writer/editor, and I've written all of our COVID content. But even still, I was nervous.

altagirl

Staff member
Actually, after the initial outrage when Governor Baker took shots away from hospitals, then gave them back, hospital systems have been reaching out for awhile. My SO and I got texts several weeks ago on the same day with a link to schedule appointments on the same day. We knew my SO was eligible with 2 health conditions (aka beer and cigars, ha) but as far as I know I only had one eligible condition, BMI, so I'm not sure why I was eligible--I think they were counting high blood pressure which was not on the state list. I see my doctor soon, so I'm going to ask.

Anyway, we both got our first shots yesterday. Both had sore arms and nothing else so far. I thought I had just the slightest bit of tingling/itchiness here and there, but I absolutely could have imagined it.

I was surprised that I wasn't more relieved. I was also surprised that I was a bit nervous about the vaccine. I am a health/medical writer/editor, and I've written all of our COVID content. But even still, I was nervous.

That's fascinating with how differently the states do things. Here when it required medical conditions, I believe it was totally just an honor system. I mean you were signing multiple forms saying that you qualified with one of the medical conditions and I certainly wouldn't have lied on it and just waited for it to open to my age group, but from what I heard, there wasn't any real verification. I have friends who did go ask their doctors to get advice on whether they qualified or not, but to my knowledge there was no review of that.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Is there any evidence that people who have no side-effects after the second vaccine are less protected in the long run than those who have notable side-effects?

I haven't heard of any differences based on that, they've only given one real efficacy number for each vaccine. Side effects can vary so much from person to person, I mean look at how some have Covid itself and are totally asymptomatic.

However, with vaccines like the flu shot there is a difference in efficacy for the elderly. The immune response is different, that's why there is a higher dose option as well that some take. Not at all sure if that is the case with the mRNA platform or Covid vaccines in general or if they even know that yet. We still don't even know how long anyone will actually be protected for..

MissySki

Angel Diva
That's fascinating with how differently the states do things. Here when it required medical conditions, I believe it was totally just an honor system. I mean you were signing multiple forms saying that you qualified with one of the medical conditions and I certainly wouldn't have lied on it and just waited for it to open to my age group, but from what I heard, there wasn't any real verification. I have friends who did go ask their doctors to get advice on whether they qualified or not, but to my knowledge there was no review of that.

In MA this is the case as well. For example, when I signed my dad up at Walgreens I had to attest that he had 2 eligible health conditions but didn't have to show proof of any kind. Apparently there is also some reach out going on now though which is good to hear.

MissySki

Angel Diva

I was a little nervous too when it actually came down to it.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I found tying an ice pack to my arm really helped with the soreness. The CDC says wet rag but who wants that dripping all over your PJs / clothes?

I signed up for the Vsafe check-in.

Wish I'd known about that before my first dose! I signed up so will get to use it for my second at least.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I haven't heard of any differences based on that, they've only given one real efficacy number for each vaccine. Side effects can vary so much from person to person, I mean look at how some have Covid itself and are totally asymptomatic.

However, with vaccines like the flu shot there is a difference in efficacy for the elderly. The immune response is different, that's why there is a higher dose option as well that some take. Not at all sure if that is the case with the mRNA platform or Covid vaccines in general or if they even know that yet. We still don't even know how long anyone will actually be protected for..
That higher dose flu shot knocked me on my butt. Had a fever next day and felt sick. Am I not your typical elderly woman? BTW skied five days now at heavenly!

MissySki

Angel Diva
That higher dose flu shot knocked me on my butt. Had a fever next day and felt sick. Am I not your typical elderly woman? BTW skied five days now at heavenly!

The regular flu shot wiped me out this year, never happened before. I was soooooooo tired for the day after!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga