• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Going Stockli: Can't decide Montero AS, AW vs Nela 80?

Calinca

Certified Ski Diva
@Calinca Congrats! I love my pair. Do use caution if you find yourself in big bumps with those boards. They are not super bump friendly, not are they meant to be. Sometimes, we just end up in places with the wrong tool, and I learned the hard way and am hopefully saving you some unpleasantness.
Hi, Thank you for the advice I'll take it into consideration and be careful. I know a lot of people love bumps, I know its my bad technique ..... but I avoid then like the plague!!! :-) Now I have a serious excuse, my skis are not good in bumps!!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
If you have any further questions please don't hesitate.
@SnowHot OK, I finally did what I've been avoiding doing for the last 2 yrs: I demo'd Stockli skis, specifically the Montero AW at 150 (I'm 5'0", 115#, Intermediate/Advanced skier), and I absolutely loved them! I've never skied anything like them, in fact. They are light, but amazingly stable and damp, yet were very verstile in the bumps, and really wanted to go fast. I didn't encounter any chatter at my top speeds, but I'm not the fastest skier on the mountain, by any means.
Now I'm really interested in a head-to-head comparison with the Nela 80 (which I haven't yet demo'd, but plan to next week, in between storms here at Taos), from someone who's skied them both. Anu=yone out there?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Hi, Thank you for the advice I'll take it into consideration and be careful. I know a lot of people love bumps, I know its my bad technique ..... but I avoid then like the plague!!! :-) Now I have a serious excuse, my skis are not good in bumps!!!
I have Stockli SCs that are “too short” for me at 5’5”, 140, but find they are great in bumps, esp those firm ones we can’t seem to avoid. They have enough stiffness to hold me on ice at my modest speeds. I chose them because I like bumps and trees but also want to up my carving technique. They have an aggressive tune 0.5/3.0 and seem to be working for me.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
@SnowHot OK, I finally did what I've been avoiding doing for the last 2 yrs: I demo'd Stockli skis, specifically the Montero AW at 150 (I'm 5'0", 115#, Intermediate/Advanced skier), and I absolutely loved them! I've never skied anything like them, in fact. They are light, but amazingly stable and damp, yet were very verstile in the bumps, and really wanted to go fast. I didn't encounter any chatter at my top speeds, but I'm not the fastest skier on the mountain, by any means.
Now I'm really interested in a head-to-head comparison with the Nela 80 (which I haven't yet demo'd, but plan to next week, in between storms here at Taos), from someone who's skied them both. Anu=yone out there?
Are you thinking you would try to pick up a used pair of Nela 80's? Since they were replaced with the Montero AW, curious as to the strong interest in finding them to try.

I've only demo'd the AW's, but the shop guy said feedback has been that they are stiffer than the 80's were. (their construction revamp added in some Stockli laser line qualities)

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Well, here's the thing. I'd love to just buy the Montero AW's, but Le Ski Mastery doesn't want to sell their demos until later in the season, so I'd either have to buy a new pair or wait until I'm about to leave Taos to buy them, which would defeat the purpose. They are willing to sell me either a new Nela 80 at a discount, or a demo model, and they suggested I try them out, because I might not find a difference between the two skis. So I am going to demo the Nela 80's after the storms are over here, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had actually skied both and could compare them.

edelweissmaedl

Angel Diva
Well, here's the thing. I'd love to just buy the Montero AW's, but Le Ski Mastery doesn't want to sell their demos until later in the season, so I'd either have to buy a new pair or wait until I'm about to leave Taos to buy them, which would defeat the purpose. They are willing to sell me either a new Nela 80 at a discount, or a demo model, and they suggested I try them out, because I might not find a difference between the two skis. So I am going to demo the Nela 80's after the storms are over here, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had actually skied both and could compare them.
Ahh! Great opportunity at Le Ski Mastery:smile: Even if you can tell a difference the question would then be, are they big enough to justify the higher price?! Can't wait to find out what you end up deciding.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Now I'm really interested in a head-to-head comparison with the Nela 80 (which I haven't yet demo'd, but plan to next week, in between storms here at Taos), from someone who's skied them both. Anu=yone out the
I have skied both and I like the Montero AW better. I like skis with some heft (usually with metal) and the AW felt just right to me. I liked the Nela but was too short and it felt a bit too light for me. The AW has the perfect combo of stiffness under foot and softness at the tips. The AW is also a bit wider and I wasn't able to demo them in the same size (the Nela 80 was 160 and the AW was 166), so take that into consideration.

Trailside Trixie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it says something that Stockli phased out the Nela 80 sooner than later. I've heard the same mostly lackluster reviews on the Nela 88, including tibits from someone on the inside. Wonder if the Montero will be phased into the Nela 88 or wider offerings. I'm very excited to try out the Stockli Montero AW. I'm trying to find the time to do some demoing next week. Might also try the Laser SC since my skiing has improved a bit since the last time I tried them.

liucy12

Diva in Training
Hi! Dying to hear how you liked the Nela 80s vs the Montero AWs. Did you get a chance to demo??

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
OK, I've been meaning to post about it -- just haven't had time. Spoiler: I went ahead and bought the Montero AWs in the 150 length, new, with Salomon Strive bindings. Peggy at LSM also worked with me on the price, and since it turned out to be just about $100 more than a great deal that I found online, I bought them from LSM in appreciation for their willingness to negotiate and to keep a good relationship with them. I also like supporting small businesses.

So here are my observations: First, as @Peppermint noted above... "the AW has the perfect combo of stiffness underfoot and softness at the tips. The AW is also a bit wider...." Although I like a light ski, the Nela 80 was too light -- i noticed the performance difference immediately when I compared them on the same day. The Montero is a bit stiffer and definitely heftier, and although it's also light, it's not too light, and the dampness was perfect. They also like to go fast, and while the Nela 80s (and my Sheeva 9s) clearly had a speed limit, I didn't feel that with the Montero AWs -- they could easily handle all the speed I cared to try them at, and I didn't get that "OMG -- I'm gonna die!" feeling that I get when I hit a certain speed on my Sheevas (and the Nelas).

Another thing I loved about the AWs were their ability to perform in less-than-ideal snow conditions and crud. On Mon-Tues at Taos Ski Valley after the expected 8-10" of snow blew away in the 70-80 mph winds, in the morning on Wed there was just about 4" of pretty dense snow (people from Tahoe compared it to Sierra Cement - OpenSnow's est was ~ 9:1 snow: liquid ratio, which is far from Taos' usual 15-18:1), and they hadn't groomed, so by the time I got onto it there were big chunks of chopped-up crud everywhere. I had made the mistake of taking out my Sheeva 9s, expecting at least a small amount of light powder, and I found that I could barely ski in those conditions. In the places where there was only windblown dust on crust the Sheevas could barely get a grip, and they reallly couldn't handle the thick crud -- I was bounced around all over the place.

So I went back to the car and got the AWs to do a head-to-head, and OMG! What a difference! They carved the slick stuff and cut through the crud like it was nothing! I couldn't believe the difference, but I was sure glad I had them, or it would not have been any fun at all skiing for the last few days. I stil love my Sheeva 9s, but I really learned a lot about what type of ski to use, depending on the conditions!

The only thing I couldn't really do a fair comparison of them was on performance in the bumps, since the quality of the bumps has deteriorated over the past few wks with no fresh snow, so they were deeply carved out and skied-off. The AWs performed as well as could be expected, but there was no real way to assess "playfulness" in those kind of bumps.

In summary, I'm really glad I tried them out, and thank you to @DebbieSue , who predicted perfectly how they would feel and encouraged me to try them out!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
@TNtoTaos , Your impression of the AW makes me want to sell my Nela 80 for the added stiffness of the Montero.
I would encourage anyone to invest. If *I* can see the magic of these skis, certainly a more advanced skier can see it, and more. I have no regrets splurging on the monteros. I'm a worse reviewer than ski diva (I know what I like and what I don't), but it took a lot for me to give up my beloved Blizzards (they were just getting too dang heavy).

Demo at your own risk, lol

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@badger - oh no! not to be jokey about your arm, but I think of that old ketchup commercial with Carly Simon's Anticipation playing in the background. Best wishes for a smooth and complete recovery.

@TNtoTaos - firstly I apologize for being so tardy about texting you & R. back. I am so excited for you getting those skis! Congratulations & hearty best wishes on skiing them all over the place!
:ski2:

coldthrill

Angel Diva
Anyone want a lovely pair of Nela 8os? I just purchased the AW for 300 less than other retailers. Will not be able to ski them until next season.:cry:, I broke my arm 2 weeks ago.
So sorry to hear about your arm. Wishing you a speedy and thorough recovery. Congrats on your new skis, too. I'm glad you have something to look forward to getting on the snow next winter!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna